Dj models announcement

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Byegad

Re: Dj models announcement

Postby Byegad » Fri May 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Bigmet wrote:
mahoganydog wrote:As a side note why on earth would any manufacturer with common sense go for a split chassis anyway? ...

This, and the coreless motor, and the gear coupled wheels and floating rods, and the glued together construction, are all because he is N gauge oriented. That's the mechanism technique he knows, and it works in N where there is far less weight and therefore load on the mechanism; and the customer expectation is that three years regular operation and then fit only to go on a display shelf is well established.

I lost all interest in his potential OO product the moment this became clear. It just isn't a fit construction for OO steam, as done to 'current commercial standard. (Executed to a suitable standard it is a first class technique, and I have a number of current split chassis models that prove this: diesels with Hornby mechanisms, DMU's and coaches by Bachmann. All superbly reliable. Neither manufacturer advertises these products as having split chassis pick up, such is the poor reputation this technique has gained due to a weak commercial implementation on RTR OO steam models.)

I must tell my hundred or so 30 yr old n gauge locos this. They all work too.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Byegad wrote:
Bigmet wrote:
mahoganydog wrote:... it works in N where there is far less weight and therefore load on the mechanism; and the customer expectation is that three years regular operation and then fit only to go on a display shelf is well established.
I must tell my hundred or so 30 yr old n gauge locos this. They all work too.

You obviously possess the art. My jaundiced view derives from two friends, (one sadly now deceased) both of whom chewed their way through endless N gauge (mostly Farish) locos. (My contribution was to keep telling them to switch to OO, from the time in 2000 when supplies of the better product started to arrive in quantity from China.)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri May 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Poorly executed products, sloppy administration, no apparent policy on subject choice, crowdfunding seeming to be the only option, I doubt any commercial lender would wish to get involved. An announcement that would have been better not made. This is not the way to win friends in the manufacturing side of the hobby, unlike Hornby's shots across the bows of two of their biggest customers, who still manage to be friends.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 05, 2019 9:47 am

There are still some eternal optimists who think he can turn it around by focus on getting the work done to enable some models to be completed and released. However, my guess is what underlies all this is no remaining working relationships with the factory/factories he has used.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun May 05, 2019 11:08 am

In the other place, the topic is now 34 unmoderated pages long, with absolutely nothing new being said and an awful lot of ‘expert’ opinion frothing over, a lot of it just plain rubbish. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the matter, and even the facts, this is leaving a bad taste for me and typical of RMWeb at its worst.

Given that the site is owned by a publishing concern, are we to assume that it condones the trashing of a manufacturer?

Should I voice my concern over there? Do so, and watch the howling pack turn with self-righteous indignation. ‘How dare you’ wouldn’t even come close....

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun May 05, 2019 11:56 am

The RMWeb thread is already well over 800 posts and is growing by 100-150 posts a day. I often wonder how many of the posters there actually have railways to run! I expect it will top 1000 posts by the end of tomorrow ….
Robert Smith

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:46 am

Lysander wrote:Should I voice my concern over there? Do so, and watch the howling pack turn with self-righteous indignation. ‘How dare you’ wouldn’t even come close....Tony

Merely increasing the volume of noise is futile when the actual objective is fidelity. But you already know that Tony.

You've already said well what those of us more enlightened are already thinking.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 06, 2019 8:49 am

Lysander wrote:
Given that the site is owned by a publishing concern, are we to assume that it condones the trashing of a manufacturer?

Tony

It always has. The only difference is DJM had protected status for several years and now it doesn’t. His topics were heavily moderated to remove any negativity and or concerns and some members were even banned for voicing the very things people are now saying freely.

It even went as far as the forum admin admitting that he doctored the cad of the class 74 without saying at the time, giving the impression the project had been started when it hadn’t. It’s a reasonable conclusion to think the owners are trying to distance themselves from their actions to hide said concerns from the membership.

On a related note, absolutely amazing that one poster is still talking about options to continue crowd finder the APT with this company!

Jim

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 am

I do appreciate your comment Jim. I just think that the entire debate has got completely out of hand and a line should have been drawn under it pages back. I really do understand the frustration of those who have committed funds to his projects, the sanctioned continuation of the topic seems clearly a personal decision though and smacks of malice. Whether the collective anger it is deserved or not [and it may well be] has been completely overtaken by the free-for-all: it's all a bit like watching hyenas devouring a carcass [I know, a bit of hyperbole there]. It is not how business on a very large, well-known and generally respected forum should be undertaken however. I think RMWeb has become lesser for it, and that is a shame.

Biggles - thanks for your comments too. You'd worked out that my question about posting concerns over there was rhetorical. But it's interesting that no-one else seems to have either. Discretion is still the better part of valour?!

Thank God that discussions over here are more balanced.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Lysander wrote:I do appreciate your comment Jim. I just think that the entire debate has got completely out of hand and a line should have been drawn under it pages back.
Tony

Indeed it should have Tony, I think we have said enough on the subject here, we do moderate, the fact that we're rarely seen to do so is thanks to all of our members, but this is a case that makes people annoyed, before this thread looks like it's bashing DJM, or that other place, perhaps the time has come to say no more.......

Tue 4th June An administrator has been appointed to oversee DJ Models. I think we should await any announcements.
John W

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks Bigmet for the update on this.
Reported by Bigmet « Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:42 pm

The London Gazette now has the notice confirming that DJ models is to be wound up as insolvent.
https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3296156

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”