Dj models announcement

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Byegad

Re: Dj models announcement

Postby Byegad » Thu May 02, 2019 10:04 am

It's an interesting read and I too am somewhat surprised that he thinks this will work. Time will tell. Sadly the N gauge world has plenty of past 'announcements of model' followed several years later by a quiet dropping of the project. I've been caught out by several manufacturers who promise an item which never sees the light of day, DJM are not the only ones, and possibly not the worst offender.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Thu May 02, 2019 11:57 am

Lysander wrote:But isn’t that the problem of RMWeb? There is a really unpleasant pack mentality which, once it’s got its teeth into someone, just cannot let go. In all of those now 428+ postings, how many genuinely - that’s honestly, really, completely - know what they are talking about? There’s just too much liking the sound of their own voices for me to be bothered to wade through any more of it. I’d learn nothing new and it would just further confirm my dislike of the pack behaviour.

I don't necessarily disagree Tony, but it is a breath of fresh air to see that folk can criticise DJM - often legitimately in my view - after what seems like an eternity during which his status as the forum's favourite manufacturer was nurtured and protected by the admin and a horde of sycophantic acolytes. He's now quite evidently falling from grace, but IMHO it's largely through his platform there that he even reached that position to start with

[Note to admin: quite happy to discuss post or have it edited if it's felt necessary]

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm

This strikes me as a re-running of MicroSoft's attempts to claim copyright on the word "windows". Laughed out of court in any country where English is widely spoken. I can just imagine the ghosts of Churchward, Stanier, Holden and Gresley calling in on the executors of their estates to assert their ownership of IP.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 pm

I agree entirely with the ‘fall from grace’ Ian - I was surprised that the whole topic hadn’t been locked pages back - speaks volumes, but says a lot about the admin role, too.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu May 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Lysander wrote:I agree entirely with the ‘fall from grace’ Ian - I was surprised that the whole topic hadn’t been locked pages back - speaks volumes, but says a lot about the admin role, too.

Tony

Again this could be as a result of the current drift towards a paid membership and a move away from any allegiance with the model manufactureres (criticism of Warners will obviously not be tolerated)
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm

He's clarified it now, or retracted it, or...er...something;

https://djmodels.co.uk/clarification
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu May 02, 2019 2:48 pm

something along the lines of the old riddle.......

[I] never said they stole my design. — Someone else said it.

I [never] said they stole my design. — I didn't say it.

I never [said] they stole my design. — I only implied it.

I never said [they] stole my design. — I said someone did, not necessarily them

I never said they [stole] my design. — I considered it borrowed.

I never said they stole [my] design. — Only that they stole a design, not necessarily my own.

I never said they stole my [design].
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Didn't read, not interested.
Neither do I intend to look at the RM threads.
All I know is I bought a Hatton's (DJM) 48XX and it didn't run well.
Returned and credited. Over and done, didn't like the drive mechanism
principal and rods that look like they're going to drop off.

No longer prepared to try again. I still have 2 working 14XX that'll do.

And in real grumpy mood, I do not like the revised RM layout and don't
feel I want to go there.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 pm

It's beginning to look as though Mr Jones failed to exercise due diligence when commissioning those models and is now trying to get the horse back in the stable or the cat bag in the bag. If the models so far released had been significantly better mechanically he may have now had markedly more volunteers to help him. As it is there are several minor manufacturers and dealers commissioning perfectly good models without his involvement and I can't see that changing.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RFS

Postby RFS » Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Likewise I bought a DJM class 71. It came with a QC Assurance card, initialled personally the checker. Even before I got the model out of the box I could see a big splash of back paint on the white roof the size of my thumbnail. So sent it back for a replacement. Hooked this one it up to 7 Bachmann MK1s and it practically slipped to a stand on my 3ft radius curves.

That went back for a refund this time and I bought a Hornby class 71 instead which happily romped away with 12 coaches. Will never buy another DJM model.
Robert Smith

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Thu May 02, 2019 11:50 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Didn't read, not interested.
Neither do I intend to look at the RM threads.
All I know is I bought a Hatton's (DJM) 48XX and it didn't run well.
Returned and credited. Over and done, didn't like the drive mechanism
principal and rods that look like they're going to drop off.

No longer prepared to try again. I still have 2 working 14XX that'll do.

And in real grumpy mood, I do not like the revised RM layout and don't
feel I want to go there.

Geoff T.

RMweb is boring now,i used to post quite regularly on Collectable & vintage & the 0 gauge kit building forums but it seems to have lost its way & a lot of posters since they changed the layout.

Ray.

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Fri May 03, 2019 6:56 am

I bought a Dapol/DJM/Kernow O2 when it came out. Not my favourite loco. I don't know enough to know whether Adrian Swain's criticisms of the model are valid, but I don't think the paint job is as nice as those on my Hornby and Bachmann locos. I don't like the coreless motor, the smoke-box door held on with a magnet that you have to glue back onto the smoke-box door, and I am another who doesn't like the way that the connecting rods are purely cosmetic. I have my doubts about the concept of not being able to access the motor without damaging detail. Others have commented upon the merits or otherwise of the split-chassis principle for steam locomotive models on various boards of this forum. I am in no hurry to buy another DJM produced model, whatever badge it is under.

The original press release indicated that he expected to be able to reduce competition by registering his CAD drawings, to stop any other company producing anything in any scale that he had registered a a CAD drawing for. Although the later "clarification" suggested that he only (reasonably, in my opinion) intended to stop other firms using his CAD drawings, the original statement made me extremely hostile. Considering that the original statement was announced a day or so before release, I tend to see the later "clarification" as more of a retraction.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 am

As a side note why on earth would any manufacturer with common sense go for a split chassis anyway? My 14xx runs beautifully but has only had very limited use on my test track while the one a mate bought at the same time has had a great deal of use and is suffering the expected problems of erratic running.

I bought a J94 which ran at full speed in one direction and half in the other along with sounding like a cement mixer; sent back and replaced with one that was the same speed in both directions and still sounded like a cement mixer. Returned for money back.

Put off DJM products for life, not made properly and no matter what he says he has NOT solved the fatal flaws with split chassis models.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 03, 2019 1:06 pm

mahoganydog wrote:As a side note why on earth would any manufacturer with common sense go for a split chassis anyway? ...

This, and the coreless motor, and the gear coupled wheels and floating rods, and the glued together construction, are all because he is N gauge oriented. That's the mechanism technique he knows, and it works in N where there is far less weight and therefore load on the mechanism; and the customer expectation is that three years regular operation and then fit only to go on a display shelf is well established.

I lost all interest in his potential OO product the moment this became clear. It just isn't a fit construction for OO steam, as done to 'current commercial standard. (Executed to a suitable standard it is a first class technique, and I have a number of current split chassis models that prove this: diesels with Hornby mechanisms, DMU's and coaches by Bachmann. All superbly reliable. Neither manufacturer advertises these products as having split chassis pick up, such is the poor reputation this technique has gained due to a weak commercial implementation on RTR OO steam models.)

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Ignoring the bonkers idea that he can claim ip rights over a copy of something else using methods of manufacturing that are in no way new or innovative, the suggestion that his tools are being held ransom for money he claims he doesn't owe holds no water at all. If these tools cost him £250k and he claims he's paid it why doesn't that show in any of his accounts on companies House?

Jim

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”