Dj models announcement

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
dubdee1000

Dj models announcement

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Dj models have made an interesting announcement about his plans for the future of model railways.

Link below.

https://djmodels.co.uk/news-2

Well worth reading the reaction in the other place

alex3410

Re: Dj models announcement

Postby alex3410 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Wow, i am surprised the IP has been granted but highly doubt it will stop other manufacturers from making a competing scale model of a historical item - DJ cant have rights over the loco design, if anyone would it would be the original designer of the actual prototype (or whatever company owns it now), some WW2 Airfix kits for example have the licensed by X on the boxes.

I can see why he is miffed but if this holds up its got the potential for causing a lot of trouble, company X registers a range of items they 'may' release and block others from being able to fill the gap.

If its a clever/new way of integrating DCC chips, or pickups etc - a new design feature for a model train, then fair enough but claiming historical prototypes as your own does not sit right.

Will be interesting to see how the legal challenge goes

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 pm

The general consensus on the other place seems to be that it prevents other companies from pinching the CAD work but if they independently decide to do a model of the same subject and come up with a very similar looking CAD design (which is quite likely if it's of the same prototype!) then he's not got a leg to stand on.

Just because the application has been registered, doesn't mean it'll do what he hopes it will. I'd be surprised if it ever reached the courts.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Indeed. But to save anyone else reading the rather rambling link, he goes on to say that he believes registering the design of a loco as intellectual property will stop any other manufacturers duplicating that model. He seems to think this is a good thing for the hobby.

I fear he may be wrong on a couple of counts here.

What does seem pretty clear is that the other place believes he doing severe harm to his own business and that it may be close to the end. Time will tell.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Strikes me his attempted use of registered IP to prevent others making duplicate models is only going to make money for the legal profession. There's lots of lovely money making arguments to be discussed in courts at exorbitant rates of pay. A model of something which has existed for long enough to have come out of copyright or patent, having more scope for opposing arguments than anything. He can't claim IP on the visual representation, only on the way he acheivs it and he has to demonstrate some novel or individual feature, not that he has simply copied an ancient design in a particular scale using a method and material previously used for similar products. If the protection is applied to the CAD/CAM files most designers would rise to the challenge of producing them by some different ingenious method. Is he prepared to go head to head with the "big boys" when there is so much that could be expensively discussed over many months.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed May 01, 2019 10:42 pm

This is up to 14 pages already in the other place: so many experts....

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed May 01, 2019 10:49 pm

bye bye DJM

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Lysander wrote:This is up to 14 pages already in the other place: so many experts....Tony

Concur, but characteristically <yawn> RMweb. Hardly a surprise.

I get the 'I've been burnt bitterness' tenor of DJM's post. But crazy if you think about it isn't it? The much more competitive plastic model industry seems to cope with it. e.g. How many brand/manufacturers make a same scale model of a Spitfire V or Bf 109G-6, Pzkpfw V Ausf G or M4A4?!!!

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Wed May 01, 2019 11:57 pm

I like the big secretive reveals though, I mean I never have any money to buy anything from the new range releases, but it's always somewhat exciting to look through pictures of all the lovely new models and watch them progress from there to the shelf of a shop. I get that he wants to protect his work, but I just don't see how it will stand up in Court.

DJM ''This company has made a cad/cam image of something that I've already done a cad/cam of, I want my Intellectual property protected''

Judge ''I see you have created a cad/cam image of a locomotive that is already in existence, with blueprints/diagrams too and there are running examples left in the real world.''

DJM ''Yes your honour''

Judge ''And is the company using your cad/cam imaging/design that you created?''

DJM ''No your honour, but...''

Judge ''Have they created their own, themselves, without seeing any of your work and details prior?''

etc etc etc. Like I said, fair play to him if it works out the way he thinks it will and will protect his interests, but not being an expert I have no idea whether it would and I wouldn't like to see anything happening to the detriment of the hobby.

We'll have to wait and see,
Alexander.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Thu May 02, 2019 8:06 am

Haven't some of the models he produces had versions produced earlier by other manufacturers? What about kit manufacturers that have been about for years? Maybe Hornby or Rails of Sheffield can use the same logic to sue the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway for making Terriers in 1870 onward? :roll:

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:44 am

The other thread worth reading is the Accurascale 92 thread, particularly the bit where the owners confirm that they have had a surge in orders last night for their 92. Doubtless this is people writing off their deposit on the DJM version and jumping ship. DJ should have been contacting these crowdfunders to fund the tooling for the 92 a few weeks ago, now it seems unlikely that the crowdfunders will be prepared to stump up the cash, which may make the 92 nonviable and the APT a risk people won't take. Of all of the now 18 pages and 428 posts at the other place, i struggled to find a single post that defended him. Ditto on facebook where it is also being discussed. DJ seems to have done an amazing job of sinking his own ship

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 am

But isn’t that the problem of RMWeb? There is a really unpleasant pack mentality which, once it’s got its teeth into someone, just cannot let go. In all of those now 428+ postings, how many genuinely - that’s honestly, really, completely - know what they are talking about? There’s just too much liking the sound of their own voices for me to be bothered to wade through any more of it. I’d learn nothing new and it would just further confirm my dislike of the pack behaviour.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 am

This whole thing is laughable. Let's use the J94 as an example; Hornby could so easily challenge this because they've been making it for years and in any case the IP is owned by Hunslet NOT DJM.

So Dave, your move.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu May 02, 2019 9:48 am

dubdee1000 wrote:... DJ seems to have done an amazing job of sinking his own ship

That's the truth. If he hadn't posted this nonsense, none of what followed happens.

dubdee1000 wrote:... Of all of the now 18 pages and 428 posts at the other place, I struggled to find a single post that defended him...

There are some, that paint a more balanced picture; essentially that he 'showed the way' for other new entrants to get competitive models made in China. It's pretty clear that a good number of the posters do legitimately have a dog in this fight: they have put money up for models that have not appeared, and now discover that instead of busily working on getting them made he is doing something else.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 am

Just as an aside, I have stopped using the other place for anything other than prototype or "wheeltapper" entertainment, I just don't like the new format. I note that they have introduced a "gold" membership with payment of between £50 and £60 per annum with various add ons, I have a sneaking suspicion that this will become the standard in future.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”