Old Triang Princess Royal

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Buelligan

Old Triang Princess Royal

Postby Buelligan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Looking for a little help. I've bought an old Triang Princess Royal, to mount on a section of track as a present for my Dad. It came with 2 coaches, unfortunately the seller didn't pack it well at all, and 1 of the wheels was completely smashed when I took the coach out. It only cost £30 inc post, and it was from a hospice ebay shop, as it's a charity I'm loathed to complain and ask for money back, but obviously I can't use the coach with a wheel missing. Does anyone know if/how I can remove the old wheels and fit replacements?

Also, there's some light rust-like marks on the rods, but being so small I'm not sure what is best to use to clean them up? Would autosol or similar work if used on a cotton bud?

Apart from that I was surprised to find that after a light clean of the wheels, and a little starting nudge, it ran round the track, a little wobbly, and it doesn't like 1 set of points, but it works!
Last edited by Buelligan on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

mossdp

Re: Old Triang Princess Royal

Postby mossdp » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Have you got a picture of the coach with the other wheels? Wheels are usually easy to find.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Here's a few photos of the loco and the wheel on the coach.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:41 pm

I think I have such wheels in ‘the scrap box’.
I’ll have a look.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

mossdp

Postby mossdp » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:01 pm

These are the axles on sleeves. You can push them out using something suitably blunt ended a little smaller than the diameter of the hole in the end of the axle box to enable you to fit a replacement. Try and support the bogie sides as you do it so they do not bend and break. If Glencairn does not find one for you, let me know and I will have a look.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 pm

I have found them, I think. I’ll post a picture tomorrow. If they are the right ones, you can have them foc.

Glencairn

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:00 am

I definitely have some of those wheels (I never throw anything out!), but I am in Australia, so postage may cost a bit more. Let me know if no one else is able to help. Hopefully glencairn's ones will do the trick.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:43 am

I would still drop them a message explaining the issue, with any luck it will help them improve so it does not happen again.

Good luck with the fix :)

If the others can’t find them let me know, I think I might have some but can’t rememer without digging about :lol:

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 am

Just re-read my original post and saw all the auto-corrects I’d missed, I must’ve been more tired than I’d realised!

Thanks for all the offers of wheels, I’ll only need 1 wheel (assuming I manage to not break anything taking it apart), I’ll have a go at removing the axle later, I’ll try putting it on a bit of wood with a hole in it to support it while pushing the axle out. Didn’t expect so many people to be able to offer spares for such an old coach.

I’ve sent the seller a message via eBay, explaining that I’m not looking for a refund, but that if they have things like this to sell in the future, they should pack with sufficient packing to stop the items from moving around during delivery.

Hopefully it’ll be worth it and my dad will like it. My Dad and his brother used to share a layout in their bedroom. My late uncle had a Triang Princess Royal, with the red coaches, which is why I’ve bought that. I’ve also had my Dads first engine fixed. It’s a Nellie, can’t remember if that’s Triang or Hornby. I think I’ve found the original trucks it would’ve come with.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:23 am

Hi Buelligan. Here are pictures of the wheels and the bogie they are in.

If you want them PM me.

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

Glencairn

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:55 am

glencairn wrote:Hi Buelligan. Here are pictures of the wheels and the bogie they are in.

If you want them PM me.

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

Glencairn

They look perfect, thanks, I'll PM you now.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:18 pm

PM replied

Glencairn

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”