Oxford Rail offer the J27 NER/LNER/BR 0-6-0

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Oxford Rail offer the J27 NER/LNER/BR 0-6-0

Post by Bigmet »

That's a real surprise and a good one, the NER's final design of 0-6-0, and the design from which the Gresley J38 and J39 were developed. Very successful long lived locos, and should be popular with those modelling the North East and adjacent territories.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Oxford Rail offer the J27 NER/LNER/BR 0-6-0

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Hmmmm! Nice looking loco, did they ever cross the border in BR days though! Ironically I have a photograph of one up here at Bo'ness, but it was in preservation days when the SRPS borrowed 2392 (65894) during a steam shortage in 1991 and I traveled behind it on the line.

Edit - according to LNER.info "World War 2 saw regular appearances of J27s at Edinburgh" - rule 1 could be put in force!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
luckymucklebackit

Hatton's have announced a price - a reasonable £104 for the basic model, becoming even more tempting!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Interesting !!

I don't want anything ......... But have been looking at doing something
from the North Yorkshire & Cleveland railway route from Picton to Battersby,
where I have a picture of J27's working.

Trenholme Bar station in mind ....... Why ?
Geoff T, is Geoff Trenholme, so why wouldn't I ??

Geoff T.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hatton's have announced a price - a reasonable £104 for the basic model, becoming even more tempting!

Jim
Apparently it’s an estimated price & people who place orders will be updated with the actual price once it’s known with option to cancel order

I’m hoping it accurate as it’s much more reasonable then other recent prices
luckymucklebackit

alex3410 wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:Hatton's have announced a price - a reasonable £104 for the basic model, becoming even more tempting!

Jim
Apparently it’s an estimated price & people who place orders will be updated with the actual price once it’s known with option to cancel order

The J36 was originally £115 then went up by £10, but I pre-ordered it the day it was announced and Hattons honored the original price :D On this one the time from announcement to realization is being questioned, I wonder if it will beet the Caley 0-6-0- to the shelves!!

Jim
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hmmmm! Nice looking loco, did they ever cross the border in BR days though! Ironically I have a photograph of one up here at Bo'ness, but it was in preservation days when the SRPS borrowed 2392 (65894) during a steam shortage in 1991 and I traveled behind it on the line.

Edit - according to LNER.info "World War 2 saw regular appearances of J27s at Edinburgh" - rule 1 could be put in force!

Jim
A J27 from Blaydon Shed made the occasional foray up the old Border Counties Railway to Riccarton Junction and Hawick. I do not know if they went any further.

Glencairn
Last edited by glencairn on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

A further note regarding J27s in Scotland. I have a picture of a J27 complete with a small snowplough trying to clear a way in deep snow. It is battling a way through, just south of Riccarton Junction. The year 1947. Unfortunately the caption gives no number of the engine.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

luckymucklebackit wrote:
alex3410 wrote:

Jim

The J36 was originally £115 then went up by £10, but I pre-ordered it the day it was announced and Hattons honored the original price :D On this one the time from announcement to realization is being questioned, I wonder if it will beet the Caley 0-6-0- to the shelves!!

Jim
Both seem very slow in getting models out so it might a like watching a pair of snails racing! :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

luckymucklebackit wrote:...On this one, the time from announcement to realization is being questioned, I wonder if it will beat the Caley 0-6-0 to the shelves...
Oxford Rail's opening pitch was only announce when very close to going on sale. That hasn't been happening. But then again the N7 took two years from announcement to first going on sale, and the Radial and Dean Goods must have been similar, probably slightly quicker.

That must be as quick as any of the established competing outfits, except Hornby when they have been able to make the announcement only when about to ship from China.

Even more recent newcomer Hattons, looks like achieving 3 out of 3 in OO locos with 'announced, available just months later', since they started working on the basis of their own design shop with procurement direct from the factory. (They only have one way to go in respect of 'announcement to available' performance: no pressure then! Anyone want to guess what's being worked on at present, there must be one or two unannounced projects underway right now if they are to maintain the flow of their own OO loco introductions.)

What Oxford Rail don't have, but Bachmann do, is a competing set of loco announcements queued up over some considerable time. Then again, maybe the commissioned CR 812 will be given the fast line once they have their newly opened manufacturing capacity fully up and running? Perhaps the J39 on a new mechanism was sidelined to clear a slot for this model?

They will arrive when they arrive, whatever; but I'd tend to Oxford being ahead in this race of the 0-6-0s, on present form.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

luckymucklebackit wrote:...On this one the time from announcement to realization is being questioned, I wonder if it will beat the Caley 0-6-0- to the shelves!
On the showing at Warley, where assembled fully finished J27 models are on show, it will beat the 812 from RoS/Bachmann by a country mile; as that is at the pretty CAD's stage, shown by RoS about two weeks ago. (Looking very attractive indeed.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The samples shown at Warley look very neat and tidy indeed. Some minor questions about detail elements (being asked sensibly!) but overall seen for what it is, a good model. Nicely different from all the other RTR 0-6-0s produced so far. This one is an example of an 0-6-0 built for slow heavy mineral work on the NER's coal traffic, with significantly smaller coupled wheels. The difference between a 4'6" wheel and the 5' to 5'3" wheels of general purpose 0-6-0s may not seem much, but it does make for a noticeably different appearance, especially combined with a fairly high centre line large diameter boiler. (The other comparable locos in RTR are Bachmann's 0-6-2T models of the LNWR 'coal tank' and GWR 56xx, tank engine equivalents to heavy mineral 0-6-0s, with similarly small driving wheels, also designed for coal field haulage.)

Some factual stuff about the prototype. https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j27.php

The 'missing wagon' for this loco (and the Q6 that Hornby make) is one of the NER's standard wooden hopper designs. Surely one of the RTR manufacturers will pick this up...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

luckymucklebackit wrote:... On this one the time from announcement to realization is being questioned, I wonder if it will beat the Caley 0-6-0- to the shelves!...
This has become a very extended race indeed, the Rails/Bachmann Caledonian 812 class has advanced to EP samples put on view, (and very handsome too) and it now sounds like both models might turn up in the first half of 2021. Oxford's J27 looked pretty close to 'ready for release' coming up a year ago, so the 'disruption' in China that OR cite as the main cause of the delay must be significant. (The last item from the first release list of the N7 has likewise been severely delayed.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

First specimens slated to arrive any minute now, so it looks like Oxford will beat the Rails/Bachmann 812 to the finish post, as that is now 'September'. None of which matters as I plan to have one of each for my slowly growing group of 0-6-0's. The J27 will be a little different to the others which have larger diameter wheels and were intended as light mixed traffic locos, the J27 is a mineral traffic loco above all else, and the penultimate class introduction of what was once a very numerous type serving the UK coalfield traffic, until largely displaced by eight coupled designs.

The two long lasting exceptions being the former NER and NBR territories, for which the J27 and - last of all- J38 were introduced, and continued to operate until steam was withdrawn in the second half of the 1960s.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Can I honestly justify having one ?
Why not ? at well under £200 I can have a sound fitted version.
Only one other problem to overcome. Do I go for LNER, or early
BR livery?
While I have a few P.O. coal wagons the majority are 16 ton steel
minerals. Heart says LNER, head says BR !!

Geoff T.