Crowd funded proposal for EE Gas Turbine 3 in OO

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Crowd funded proposal for EE Gas Turbine 3 in OO

Post by Bigmet »

To be formally launched at Warley, a crowd funded proposal to produce a RTR OO model of the third gas turbine loco to be trialled on BR. https://krmodels.godaddysites.com/gt3-gas-turbine

That's about as weird and wonderful as experimental traction on BR ever became. For any who don't know, a 5" gauge model of GT3 with a gas turbine driving it has been winning acclaim the last ten years or so at model engineering shows, and the builder Tim Coles did extensive research to make it as authentic as currently available records allow. Here is a fine little presentation giving the low down on the tech. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxwcLX9yLE

The proposed model borrows from Tim Coles' research, seems very unlikely to me that anyone will ever better it. So... if you have ever thought 'wish I had a model of a gas turbine loco'...
Last edited by Bigmet on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
luckymucklebackit

Re: As exotic as it gets, EE Gas Turbine 3

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Jeez - that has been the joker in every wishlist I have seen, now lets see if the wise guys that asked for it cough up.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Have I read it wrong, or did it say they are hoping to make it tender driven??? :?
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

That's the way it reads to me. Can't understand why, if they are planning on putting the decoder and speaker in there I wouldn't have thought they'd want the motor in there as well. With the body shape I'd have though everything would fit on the main chassis.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

By the noise of it I don't think you need a speaker. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Tender drive is mentioned, but the information following after is vague. It reads as though there is a sentence or two missing discussing the pros and cons of driving the loco or tender. (A good question for anyone present at Warley to ask for clarification.)

I can see a potential reason for selecting tender drive, which is that the speaker on the sound equipped models really needs to be in the loco, because the sound output is VERY! high pitch and we can localise such high frequencies rather well. So if there is space constraint, speaker in loco might be adopted over having the loco driven.

The tender of GT3 is large too, so with a good quality drive in the style that Bachmann and Hornby have used in their class 08s and plenty of weight possible if the tender interior is well packed with metal, traction and movement performance could be good. Then it is a matter of a coupling with no slack between loco and tender, so that the ensemble moves as one, no hint that the 'mighty tender' is where the drive is coming from.
luckymucklebackit

Did the prototype ever haul a revenue earning train? As far as I know it did one test run to Llandudno, a few test runs over the GCR main line and a few over Shap, it lasted only about a year and a half in existence so not many would have seen the loco.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Never worked a revenue earning train. Just like that other piece of exotica oft proposed for a RTR model, Mr Bulleid's Leader.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Putting the drive in the tender to pander to the tinnitus fans? Time to find a new hobby me thinks..... :shock:
luckymucklebackit

While on the subject of announcements, Accurascale will announce a "British Outline Locomotive" at Warley this weekend, there has been the usual outpouring of froth on the other place, a couple of very obscure teasers have been released.

Jim
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:Putting the drive in the tender to pander to the tinnitus fans? Time to find a new hobby me thinks..... :shock:
Latest is that the 'tender drive' information is a hang over from some earlier thoughts, and it will be loco drive. (As I posted above the information on the website was slightly vague, it did look like a sentence or two of explanation had gone missing.)

That's in OO, but there is also the possibility of an N gauge model should there be sufficient expressions of interest. For N tender drive would be sensible to provide the speaker space in the loco.

As for tinnitus, yes this might be the first RTR model for which ear defenders are recommended when operating the DCC sound version. Living near De Havs in my childhood, I have had a lifetime supply of early gas turbine noise, this model is not for me either!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Where will they get the recorded sound from? There's nothing remotely like it that's running. There's the experimental APT but that was a turbine with electric transmission.
Chops

Post by Chops »

That really is a project among projects. Truly an engaging piece, but a bit large for my little roundy-round. I hope for its great success. I hope, and interesting side note, the Union Pacific, always interested in larger and larger power, developed a gas turbine between 1952 and 1961. The exhaust went out the roof, and there is a story that the unit once parked under a highway overpass for a period of time, at idle. The heat from the exhaust melted the asphalt, rendering the road unusable!
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:Where will they get the recorded sound from? There's nothing remotely like it that's running...
There's still 1950s gas turbines running and they all have a sound much in common, the whine, whistle and roar. I believe one of the thoughts for the model sound is to use a manipulated recording of the 5" gauge model.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I suppose they are on safe ground, how many people are around who actually listened to it in operation, and is their hearing up to the task of assessing the recreation of it?