Mainline Railways BR Mk1 - sides

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
6C

Mainline Railways BR Mk1 - sides

Post by 6C »

anybody know what the circular black items are on the lower bodysides of Mainline Mk1s
mk1.jpg
For reference they don't appear on the prototype or later version by other manufacturers.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
mahoganydog

Re: Mainline Railways BR Mk1 - sides

Post by mahoganydog »

Never had one in my hand but at a guess I'd say one of the body mounting clips?

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Agree with mahoganydog, looks as though there are three on each side, curiously though, the do not appear on the Buffet Car.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

When I had a few I just considered them body retention clips. I would paint the black dots the coach body colour to disguise them. It is odd that they were on the Mk1 coach sides and yet not on their restaurant car as previously stated. This and the deep window recesses convinced me that someone else might like them more than I did so off they went.
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Those deep window recesses! Impossible to think of them without imagining rows of tiny potted plants lined up along their lower edge.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

But on the other hand no socking great ridges running across the roof as seen when Kader turned their hands to mk1s on their own account! These peg ends clearly on view in their advertising http://www.mainlinerailways.org.uk/Coaches.htm

Happily the subsequent buffet/restaurant was free of this aberation, and along wth the later Replica mk1s (probably tooled in the same shop) are well worth the trouble of flush glazing with SE finecast parts and some other detailing to run alongside Bach's mk1s - shaved of their roof ridges as required.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The thing is, no sooner has one taken the trouble to fill the little holes in and sand down any excess along with a repaint when someone else comes up with a photo of a one off prototype which actually has the little holes. :lol:
6C

Post by 6C »

Thanks Everybody

Funnily enough the only other Mainline Mk1 I have is the Buffet/Rest, !

Flushglazing on order from SE Finecast...

Currently most of my Mk1 stock is Lima from the Maroon or Chocolate/Cream era - but I need a few in Carmine and Cream - hence looking at these.
Pete

6C

Post by 6C »

Thanks Everybody
Decided on a combo of advice - sanded pips down slightly - to allow them to still be used then filled in recess created - as I had already detailed and flushglazed interior.

Cheers
Pete
Pete