CMX v Sharge Track Cleaners

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Rich123

CMX v Sharge Track Cleaners

Postby Rich123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:55 pm

I have decided to purchase a track cleaner but cannot decide whether to get the CMX or the Sharge. Both get good write ups. The CMX costs £149.95 and the Sharge costs £93.00. Is the CMX worth the additional £57.00?

I spoke to a colleague in my club who said that the CMX came fitted with Kadee couplings but was also supplied with tension lock couplings, but someone else said they were not supplied. Can anyone comment on this?

Lastly, I have seen sites that recommend using Goo Gone. Has anyone used this and can comment on its efficiency?

Bigmet

Re: CMX v Sharge Track Cleaners

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Both very expensive for what can be done by DIY. The back of common or garden hardboard is an excellent railhead cleaner, and can be salvaged from many sources: my 'lifetime supply' came from old fitted furniture removed from our previous house. With a good weight on it and dragged by the kind of loco you will need to move the commercial cleaner, that's money saved...

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:27 pm

Bigmet wrote:Both very expensive for what can be done by DIY. The back of common or garden hardboard is an excellent railhead cleaner, and can be salvaged from many sources: my 'lifetime supply' came from old fitted furniture removed from our previous house. With a good weight on it and dragged by the kind of loco you will need to move the commercial cleaner, that's money saved...

Hmmm interesting idea @Bigmet - got any photos to show us what you mean?

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Would not like to try Bignets solution on a hidden section in case it came uncoupled.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:14 am

There's a simple hardboard track cleaner on page 15 of my BNR layout thread if that helps. Just search for BNR and hardboard.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:40 am

Mike Parkes wrote:Would not like to try Bignets solution on a hidden section in case it came uncoupled.

I got the idea from Pendon, and if it is good enough for Pendon...

It isn't on a conventional coupling but on a screwed on drawbar. All it consists of is a block of lead with a piece of hardboard glued on using a smear of Evostick.

Forfarian

Postby Forfarian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:02 pm

I have a CMX works a treat on a Class40 or 66
Tim
aka Forfarian

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 am

What about Bachmann's cleaning wagon? Looks like its the same design as the CMX but for about a 5th of the price.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Hmmm interesting idea @Bigmet - got any photos to show us what you mean?

Yes please, I'll second that to Bigmet.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”