Improving the Triang bogie brick wagon

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Lysander

Re: Improving the Triang bogie brick wagon

Postby Lysander » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 pm

You can buy [eBay] inserts made from some sort of moulding plaster for this wagon. I purchased one to consider its use but decided against. The bricks are just a little too large and the gaps between them overscale.

I know nothing of resin casting but the surface detail is very fine and may be difficult to replicate.

These original inserts are very scarce and I have not seen one alone for a very long time. I was lucky enough to acquire one with a boxed and pretty much mint London Brick example for £7. I would have thought that 3D printing might be viable but, again, the surface detail is very fine and could be difficult to replicate. The original moulding is a sort of flesh-coloured plastic.

Not much help I'm afraid!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 pm

That's a great job

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Making a good job of a brick load that has been hand stacked in the wagon isn't as easy as you might think. Only the very best 3D printing systems will replicate the fine lines across the surface of square cut bricks stacked with nothing between them. Casting or moulding is going to have equal difficulty in capturing them. I'd say the best bet would be something like the "Cameo Cutter" set to a very light touch on the surface of some 1mm thick plasticard. It would only require cutting into different lengths to create the part filled top layer, with the scribe marks taking down the exposed edge with a fine point, plus chopping out one or two loose bricks laid close to the end of the stacking. These days bricks always seem to come on pallets wound around with tough plastic sheet which I imagine doesn't achieve the same load density but is a darned sight quicker loading and unloading than a chain of blokes passing them about four at a time from hand to hand.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:35 am

Actually, I believe resin would do the job, if one makes the mould a single piece mould and tries the resin designed specifically for finer applications. Single piece moulding has less issues with bubbling. It also is ideal for items which dont need all sides to have detail like this case in question, as the underside can remain flat. My concern about using resin to cast copies of this item is not in the form of it obtaining the fine detail, but that of possible shrinkage along with the odd small bubble. Tapping a mould before the resin starts to set can help eliminate bubbles, as does careful pouring. Shrinkage can occur, but it tends to happen more when I cast using playdough as a mould.
Note that the runner moulds start out life crisp, and gradually reduce in fine detail as they wear with repeat castings, hence why resin tends to be less used for large scale production, and instead is used by backyard industries who will cast on a much smaller scale of production.
I've been quite impressed with using resin. Each material can have advantages and disadvantages. 3D printers can have issues with lines of print. Resin can have bubbles and shrinkage. Plastic itself can have bubble issues, which one rarely see as bubbled plastics tend to get reheated and moulded again, assuming they are the thermal setting types. (If my memory serves me from collage days!)
I remember having a tour of a factory which made various plastic products and rejects which had bubbles or anything else wrong with them were put aside and then heated up to be remoulded, so nothing was wasted.
See below ↓

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”