What is the newest/best green Mallard?

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
End2end

What is the newest/best green Mallard?

Postby End2end » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:15 am

With number 1 rule glarily obvious on this occasion (I don't know wether the Mallard ran in the South West) I am looking for info on either the newest DCC ready/fitted green Mallard or news of one on the drawing board for future release and any notes on the running of models currently available.
Some of my prerequistites are,
I don't want to hardwire an older version.
I want the version where you can see the wheels not the skirted version.
It HAS to be green (I don't like the blue version).
Engine not tender driven.
Excellent runner.
Detailed / not a railroad version.

Does anyone have any information or is an actual Mallard owner that could help?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Re: What is the newest/best green Mallard?

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 am

Hornby's main range A4 is the class act in plastic bodied RTR OO for this class. Whether there is a BR green liveried A4 60022 Mallard on sale now is another question.

No doubt in my mind that the Hornby A4 is currently the most accurate in appearance of all the OO RTR A4 options: and that includes the £400 Dapol and £1000 Golden Age products (which have other attractions to some people it is true, but not for me).

What you get is DCC ready, loco drive, well detailed, and a good runner. Is it perfect? NO. It dates from 2004/5 and is now behind the best that Hornby and Bachmann offer in some respects; in short there is comfortably room for a 'yet better' competing model. But as things stand there is no indication that anyone will bring such a competing model to market, so if you want an OO RTR A4 now, Hornby's is the one.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:56 am

Many thanks for the info Bigmet.
Can I just ask, do you mean the R2784X Railroad BR Class A4 or if not, do you possibly have a catalogue number for the one you suggested please?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Avoid the Railroad item, falls well short of the main range job and doesn't meet your spec.. Don't have a catalogue number for the A4 in the form you want, my three were selected to show the three main tender variations that A4's ran with in their final BR form: coach ended corridor, (Golden Plover 60011) regular corridor, (Woodcock 60029) non-corridor (Gannet, 60032).

Woodcock matches Mallard for late crest BR appearance if prepared to rename and renumber, was R2535 I think. But otherwise I am sure someone will advise the cat no. for whatever BR green Mallards Hornby have produced.

6C

Postby 6C » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Yep the Hornby ones are the ones to go for.

I am sure someone will correct me - if I am wrong - R2784X - has the same chassis and mechanism as the recommended 'superdetail' ones, such as those Bigmet suggests, so there may be room for body swaps onto the R2784X mechanism - if that offers a more cost effective route to your goal.

Only downside is that you would not have a superdetail tender...
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:23 am

The Railroad #2784X is a DCC fitted (R8249 decoder) with the "premium" drive with the following consideration, the rods are typical oversize Railroad items and not the fine rods found on the true premium model. The body is very similar to the premium model except it is devoid of windows and has moulded and not separately fitted cab grabrails. I cannot recall if a fall plate is fitted or not. The tender body is similar to the tender drive version (raised coal load) but has a separately moulded underframe and not a cast ex-tender drive bogie.

If you want a relatively inexpensive model then this is not too bad. Even an older premium A4 can sell for over GBP100.00.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks for all the replies so far members.
Although no rivet counter (I wouldn't have a clue wether a loco is exact or not :lol: ) I really don't like the railroad range. They are underdetailed and toy like imho.
I have been known to spend upto £25 for a limited edition wagon (of my proposed area) so when I do invest in a Mallard I want to only buy once.
Thus the reason to try to find information of the best or one planned in the future.
Sadly renaming / numbering is beyond my skills and determination at the moment. The only thing I do constantly to rolling stock is change couplings and/or wheelsets.
Fiddling with locos/engines is definatly NOT my fortay. :? I still haven't DCC-ed my Tolgus Tin loco as I don't know what the hell I am supposed to be doing with it. :lol:
Any voluteers to hard wire a decoder in this loco for me? :mrgreen:

I have been keeping an eye on the bay but most of the Mallards on there look old and awful condition or astronomically expensive. Some around the £300 mark.
I have tried to find a catalogue number for the newest non-railroad Mallard from Hornby but there are so many variations I don't want to jump in and purchase the wrong one. I wouldn't know if a certain model has a troublesome split chassis or not or wether a certain model is best to steer clear of due to poor running etc.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:40 am

No split chassis trouble if you restrict yourself to Hornby.

However, having had a quick dekko at the Australian Hornby collector site, it would appear that Hornby have yet to produce a BR green Mallard from their main range tooling: now that's clearly only good as an opinion if the site is correct, but it is usually reliable.

(They have clearly made a whole heap of the Railroad Mallard, which you don't want; and an even bigger heap of terrible tender drive Mallards, which you very definitely don't want.)

So it looks like 'wait patiently for Hornby to offer it'; and order the moment it is announced, because this is consistently one popular number.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies members.
Yes Bigmet I think that is what I will do. Sit on my hands and wait for a newer version.
If anyone hears of a new Mallard anouncement please do let me know.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”