Rarer And Unusual Models From The Past.

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Mountain

Rarer And Unusual Models From The Past.

Postby Mountain » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Can't remember the make it is. Someone did find it for me after much searching... But here is a fun 00 gauge model from the past. It has an early plastic body and a tinplate chassis and it doesn't half go! It has very coarse scale wheels which gently touch Peco code 100 teach railchairs. No chance of going though Peco pointwork though! It jumps the frogs and checkrails but it does jump itself back onto the rails. The wheels are well made and lovely. The coupling is just a simple L shape piece of metal.
Attachments
IMG_20170908_183318.jpg
IMG_20170908_183344.jpg
IMG_20170908_183318.jpg
IMG_20170908_183330.jpg
IMG_20170908_183225.jpg

b308

Re: Rarer And Unusual Models From The Past.

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:30 am

Early Piko or Marklin?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:55 am

No. It was a German name I had never heard of before, hence why I can't remember it!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:09 pm

How about this rare and exceptionally hideous beast from the late 70s? I remember in about 1995 ish a very dodgy looking character selling these things unboxed out of a suitcase at many train fairs for about £8 each. Made by HDI Jouef in Ireland. I've never seen one since those ones were for sale 20+ years ago.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

:lol: That looks positively angry!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Wow. It certainly is based more on the original German design then the British version.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:51 pm

It is purely German as far as I can see, but the DB Class V 200.1, not the earlier 200.0 Image

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:33 am

Yep, it is... They did the same in N gauge, in fact I think it was done in N first. It was seen as a cheap way of producing a new loco and it was similar (in a few respects) to the Warship!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am

We have something to be greatful for as the Germans had designed and built a successful diesel locomotive of its day that we could copy. Back then the chief issues had been the ability to use diesel engines for locomotive work. Sure we built some lightweight railcars and slow shunting engines but due to difficulties in converting the diesel engines power to the locomotive wheels, our attempts of overcoming this took some time to develop. A low speed shunting loco could shift some weight and lightweight railcars later to be called DMU's could run at speed, but to shift heavy loads and run at speeds with a mechanical gearbox just didnt seem to gell. They tried various ideas. Some crazy looking such as the "Fell" locomotives. Finally two methods were a success. Electric and hydraulic transmission. It was this German locomotives success which heavily influenced the Western Region of British Rail to build their own hydraulic diesel locomotives. There were some teething troubles due to wheel bearing design on one class... The Warship class. Annoyingly, though the diesel hydraulics of the Western Region could punch way beyond their size and weight compared with diesel electrics of the same period, due to the higher revving engines needing a slightly shorter timespan in between services and the one class which had wheel bearing issues, British Railways decided to scrap them in favour with the diesel electric designs.
Rather oddly they scrapped them after the Western Region had solved the Warship bearing issues and had converted most of the class, along with some of the Western diesels also scrapped were only a few years old, along with most of the other classes (Even the earlier Warships) having not even reached half their life expectancy.
Pulling power... I was told by old train drivers I worked with said that they could pull heavy passenger express trains of 14 or 15 coaches and maintain high speeds with the small Hymek locos which would need a much larger diesel electric loco just to pull it! The old drivers loved the hydraulics and were sad to see them go.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 am

Emettman wrote:It is purely German as far as I can see, but the DB Class V 200.1, not the earlier 200.0 Image

Chris

It is indeed, but as you can see comparing the two, it's a very crude model indeed even for late 70s standards, and IIRC it was single axle drive too.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”