Traing R.344 track cleaning car. Any good?

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
End2end

Traing R.344 track cleaning car. Any good?

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:04 pm

I have a Triang R.344 track cleaning car and was wondering how they work and if they are any good at track cleaning.
Does anyone have one of these and use it for it's intended purpose?

I found replacement pads here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162497620062? ... 1436.l2649
I thought there was something missing from the inside due to the large hole on the bottom of the car but the pictures on the sale show the inside is the same as mine (in picture 10).
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Re: Traing R.344 track cleaning car. Any good?

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:10 pm

With some IPA on the bottom of the felt pad they did a tolerable job, but you could always do better by hand.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 am

I modified mine to have a central tank for IPA and a sprung felt pad underneath, brass wheel bearings with 10.5 mm metal wheels and rather a lot of lead inside to keep it on the track. Needs a loco with a bit of grunt to pull it. However its not that brilliant at cleaning LOL

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 am

I did buy it thinking it would help with track cleaning so I think I'll go back to hand cleaning.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Traing R.344 track cleaning car - An Improvement!!

Postby End2end » Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I've had this track cleaner on my mind for a while and finally did something about it.
I have made a spring loaded pressure "skate" to push against the pad and thus the track to aid in cleaning.
The method...

Slide a flat peice of Lego (4 long by 2 wide) turned upside down inbetween the coach and the connected pad with some Black-Tack stuck to the top. (which is actually the bottom of the Lego piece as it's upside down) - Black-Tack is like Blu-Tack only stickier and better.

Cut a peice of straight tubing from the body of a plastic pen.
Push this tube vertically through the hole in the bottom of the coach and press into the Black-Tack on the Lego piece so it sticks and stays.

Using the spring from the cut up pen, stretch it out a little then slide into the vertical pen tube.
(You may need to adjust the spring by either compressing or pulling it out more to get the pressure correct on the pad.)

I then added somed lead flashing to weigh down the coach.

Here's some pictures....
The upsidedown Lego piece inbetween the coach and the connected pad.
TriangTrackCleaner2sm.jpg
TriangTrackCleaner2sm.jpg (81.15 KiB) Viewed 253 times

The pen tube piece with the pen spring slid inside.
TriangTrackCleaner4sm.jpg
TriangTrackCleaner4sm.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 253 times

Lead flashing added for weight and a view of the whole coach (roof removed) showing the hole in the bottom.
TriangTrackCleaner3sm.jpg
TriangTrackCleaner3sm.jpg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 253 times

To use it, I pipette IPA directly onto the pad.
The roof, once replaced, pushes against the vertical spring and thus the pad... so make sure you've stretched it out far enough to reach the roof!

Although it can be pulled/pushed along by a loco with some grunt, I have found that you can go up and down/back and forth on the track easily by hand and quickly too.
Excellent for my end to end layout.
It may look crude but it certainly works and is a lot less time consuming than just by hand and A LOT less expensive than a CMX.

The only other change I would like is to lose those horrilbe plastic wheels but they are no where near the same diameter as regular Hornby / Bachmann / Peco wheels so not an easy replacement.
Plus this is the ONLY item of rolling stock I have with plastic wheels so it is not an immediate concern.

I can finally run things without stuttering due to dirty track. Happy days. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Re: Traing R.344 track cleaning car - An Improvement!!

Postby GeraldH » Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 pm

End2end wrote:The only other change I would like is to lose those horrilbe plastic wheels but they are no where near the same diameter as regular Hornby / Bachmann / Peco wheels so not an easy replacement.End2end

Peter's Spares do replacement 10.5mm metal wheels which are excellent. I've used them on my Hornby container wagons.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 pm

You wouldn't have a direct link to the item by any chance would you please GeraldH?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat May 12, 2018 10:16 pm

End2end wrote:You wouldn't have a direct link to the item by any chance would you please GeraldH?
Thanks
End2end

Search on Ebay for "Peters Spares PS33 Hornby Replacement Container Lomac 10mm Plain Wagon Wheels"

or go to his website at

https://www.petersspares.com/peters-spa ... x1-pair.ir

Sometimes it's cheaper on his website, but sometimes the postage is cheaper on Ebay.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat May 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Can I just check something please....

These are the actual wheels in comparison to a Hornby 12.6mm R8096 Metal Disk wheel (on the right)
TriangTrackCleaner7.JPG
TriangTrackCleaner7.JPG (70.31 KiB) Viewed 227 times

I'm not really sure how to measure them properly so I measured the inner wheel giving roughly 10.6mm
TriangTrackCleaner8.JPG
TriangTrackCleaner8.JPG (79.95 KiB) Viewed 227 times

And the outer wheel at roughly 12.6mm
TriangTrackCleaner9.JPG
TriangTrackCleaner9.JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 227 times

Are those Peters Spares wheel appropriate?
Has anyone else changed the Triang Cleaning Coach wheels to these or other metal wheels?
I did find them on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peters-Spare ... SwRlhatPve
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat May 12, 2018 11:08 pm

End2end wrote:Can I just check something please....

These are the actual wheels in comparison to a Hornby 12.6mm R8096 Metal Disk wheel (on the right)
TriangTrackCleaner7.JPG

I'm not really sure how to measure them properly so I measured the inner wheel giving roughly 10.6mm
TriangTrackCleaner8.JPG
And the outer wheel at roughly 12.6mm
TriangTrackCleaner9.JPG

Are those Peters Spares wheel appropriate?
Has anyone else changed the Triang Cleaning Coach wheels to these or other metal wheels?
I did find them on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peters-Spare ... SwRlhatPve
Thanks
End2end

It's the measurement over the wheel treads that's relevant in this case. In his Ebay listing PS states that his PS-33 wheels have been used in the Triang Bogie bolster wagon. I'm 99% sure this uses the same bogies as the track cleaning wagon. Triang used standard parts wherever possible and they made numerous wagons with wheels that were approximately 10-10.5mm across the treads. These included the bogie ISO container wagon, bogie bolster, track cleaning wagon and the well wagon: the latter three I'm almost certain had the same diamond frame bogies. Although I have a Triang track cleaning wagon, I have left the plastic wheels on it, as it doesn't get a lot of use and the cost of replacing wheels on bogie wagons does mount up. Hopefully that all makes sense :) .

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks for the extra information GeraldH.
Just to make sure I will send the seller a message asking if they fit the Triang track cleaner or if anyone has responded as such to him.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 12, 2018 11:40 pm

I'm listening with interest regarding 10.5mm wheels. If anyone finds a source of decent but cheap 10.5 mm wheels I'm all ears. Not sure I have the funds for buying, but I'd like to know who sells them for future reference. For me, axle length is less important.
Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but if the bogies are of the cast metal type and you want to change to metal wheels, keep the Triang axles and slide the new wheels onto them using thin bits of drinking straw as spacing insulators between the outsides of the wheels and the metal frames. I have done this successfully with 0-16.5 waggons made from the Triang bogies.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 pm

Mountain wrote:Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but if the bogies are of the cast metal type and you want to change to metal wheels, keep the Triang axles and slide the new wheels onto them using thin bits of drinking straw as spacing insulators between the outsides of the wheels and the metal frames. I have done this successfully with 0-16.5 waggons made from the Triang bogies.

No, both the bogies and the wheel sets are plastic. I think the wheels and axles are one piece but they are definatly plastic.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

I received a message back from the seller who states...
"Hi there, yes they will fit but you need to squeeze the axle boxes to make the wheel run free. Thanks Peter"
Excellent. That will eliminate those pesky plastic wheels!. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 pm

The original 10.5mm Triang wheel was their standard (even on coaching stock. This is why their standard buffer height is 1mm too tall. The later plastic bigie frames and chassis perpetrated the anomaly, short of putting in present day 10.5mm wheels it's a SOAB to correct. Does Peter's Spares do replacement wheels for Lima as they used them everywhere (being standard wheels from the H0 range.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”