LNER Dyno car from Rails/Rapido

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
PanzerJohn

LNER Dyno car from Rails/Rapido

Postby PanzerJohn » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Been wanting one for ages, bit pricey but looks superdetailed...Stoke Bank here I come...
https://railsofsheffield.com/exclusives/

Peterm

Re: LNER Dyno car from Rails/Rapido

Postby Peterm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:10 pm

125 quid :shock:
Pete.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:41 am

Expensive on anumber of grounds.

Rapido will only work to a very high standard, Jason Shron the owner is determined on that.
Sales are going to be limited in volume so the pretty complex tooling is shared out over relatively few purchases.
That teak finish over a problematically shaped body shell. Hornby have backed away from their previous high standard printed teak as 'too expensive'.

Anyone looked at how much 'Golden Age' want for their version?

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:48 am

Topic moved to other manufacturers

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:20 am

Understood on the manufacturing expense. I just had a bit of a surprise when I saw it, although after reading your post I understand it.
Pete.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Bigmet wrote:Expensive on anumber of grounds.

Rapido will only work to a very high standard, Jason Shron the owner is determined on that.
Sales are going to be limited in volume so the pretty complex tooling is shared out over relatively few purchases.
That teak finish over a problematically shaped body shell. Hornby have backed away from their previous high standard printed teak as 'too expensive'.

Anyone looked at how much 'Golden Age' want for their version?

In all honesty I never thought Hornby's super detail coaches in teak looked that convincing. Having worked on the real things in my time, there's just something not quite right about them. I think it might be they are too red, but I'm not 100% sure.
Another thing about this model...If Rapido don't get it to match perfectly with Hornby teaks, (and looking at the colour pictures of it, it looks like the real thing, unlike Hornby's) Sales are going to be even more restricted. Saying that, I expect most will be destined for the display cabinet + speculators anyway.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Varnished teak or 'varnish stock' considered as a generality is a real problem for colour rendition in model form. Nothing looks quite as much like varnished timber as - varnished timber. And then there is the colour range. Colour photos showing one or more of the LNER's teak coaches in good lighting reveal that a very wide range of colours could be present. Everything from quite a pale yellow-brown up to near mahogany, and that's before graining in any panel is taken into account. There were trains - the Flying Scotsman sets a good example - made up to be of reasonably uniformly coloured exterior timber throughout. But the general service vehicles could be very variegated indeed. On some it looks like the assembly shop joiners have deliberately laid out the panels for a chequerboard effect. I doubt there is any way to please all the potential model purchasers, all the time.

I too think this a collector's 'shelf queen' model. The LNER and ER are the focus of my interests, but I will not be buying. I need many more GNR coaches of Howlden and Gresley design rather than a one off complete rarity that was never seen in service by the vast majority of passengers.

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:53 pm

At £125 I'll pass, Ive never spend river £100 on a locomotive.
Good to see Rapido expanding their UK range, just wish they would go it alone rather than doing commissions.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:23 am

Bigmet wrote:Varnished teak or 'varnish stock' considered as a generality is a real problem for colour rendition in model form. Nothing looks quite as much like varnished timber as - varnished timber. And then there is the colour range. Colour photos showing one or more of the LNER's teak coaches in good lighting reveal that a very wide range of colours could be present. Everything from quite a pale yellow-brown up to near mahogany, and that's before graining in any panel is taken into account. There were trains - the Flying Scotsman sets a good example - made up to be of reasonably uniformly coloured exterior timber throughout. But the general service vehicles could be very variegated indeed. On some it looks like the assembly shop joiners have deliberately laid out the panels for a chequerboard effect. I doubt there is any way to please all the potential model purchasers, all the time.

I too think this a collector's 'shelf queen' model. The LNER and ER are the focus of my interests, but I will not be buying. I need many more GNR coaches of Howlden and Gresley design rather than a one off complete rarity that was never seen in service by the vast majority of passengers.

Digressing somewhat one of the most amazing things I've seen in recent times was a highly skilled gentleman putting the finishing touches to a teak effect paint finish on a Thompson steel bodied coach. It just looked like it was hue from a solid block of teak! It was only when you got within a foot that you could tell it was paint. I have no idea about the authenticity of it but I must have looked a right picture stood there with my mouth hanging open! :lol:

markeg

Postby markeg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 am

I for one think it may be priced right. It will have internal lighting and a number of fine details.
I have ordered one.

The Golden Age Models version sells for £345. It is etched brass. I have seen their LNER Coronation Coach set and it is very good.
The D&S kit is no longer available and if one comes up on ebay sells for over £75. So I think the Rails/Rapido version is priced okay.
Yes I would appreciate if it were cheaper, but it is a unique vehicle.

Mark

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:24 am

Samples of the finished product on show at Warley, some photos on line on RMweb, (and doubtless elsewhere by now) looks to me that Rapido's reputation for a consistently good job in whatever they undertake is fully upheld.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Streaks and Teaks wrote:Good to see Rapido expanding their UK range, just wish they would go it alone rather than doing commissions.

They have taken a step in the right direction they've appointed a UK distributor, which suggests going it alone. Although it's not a railway item they are producing a super detailed Birmingham Daimler "new look" bus, without a UK commisioner. At a personal level I'm not over enamoured by the choice of Rails of Sheffield, but I guess they are as good a box shifter as anyone, and it was negotiated on a face to face visit so who knows?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”