Model Rail propose J70 W&U Tram loco

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Model Rail propose J70 W&U Tram loco

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 am

Following the Sentinel and USA tank, Model Rail are assessing interest in the slightly larger of the two GER built Wisbech and Upwell (W&U) tram locomotive classes, LNER class J70. Proposed supplier is Rapido, whose first UK OO product went over OK (and I am waiting with interest to see how they do on the problematic Stirling single for NRM Locomotion!).

I have been surprised at the failure of any of the regular manufacturers to pick this item up, what with the sentiment around the Awdry stories (no worries about licence fee demands as this will be a model of the prototype and not as represented in the stories) and the eminent modellability of the W&U. This was the better alternative to a narrow gauge line for a lightly used or seasonal railway that needed to be low cost. By following roads for constructional cheapness, and running very slowly on unfenced track - governers were fitted to restrict the locos to no more than a trot, about 8mph - the build and maintenance cost for the permanent way were low.

And there was no cost to the line of special freight rolling stock or need for freight transfer facilities, as regular wagons were used for freight. The tram locos went into the Stratford railway works when in need of overhaul, no need for dedicated works facilities on the line. The line did steady business hauling bulk agricultural product off the fenland to the railhead at Wisbech, until improvements to the roads and the increasing capability of road trucks took the traffic in the 1950s. Old coaches were used with the tram engines for passengers, (I foresee enterprising 'somebodies' offering suitable kits).

Neat little reference page relating to the prototype here. http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.php

GeraldH

Re: Model Rail propose J70 W&U Tram loco

Postby GeraldH » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:49 am

I've often thought that Hornby could produce a railroad version of the J70 to replace their awful overscale Toby. They could then have sold it as a better Toby, or as a budget J70...
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am

Isn't Hornby's Toby somewhat oversized for a scale J70. Having released Toby they would probably have fell out with Hit Entertainment if they had then used the tooling for a non Thomas model. Bachmann got into an argument with them over the use of the Percy tooling for their Junior range.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:13 am

Bufferstop wrote:Isn't Hornby's Toby somewhat oversized for a scale J70. Having released Toby they would probably have fell out with Hit Entertainment if they had then used the tooling for a non Thomas model. Bachmann got into an argument with them over the use of the Percy tooling for their Junior range.

Sorry I didn't express myself very well.. I meant to say a newly tooled scale height railroad version :)
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Great to see more posable business for Rapido, hopefully it man endurage them to enter the uk model scene proper rather than via commissions.
Also nice to see commissioners stepping of the Hornsby, Bachman, Dapol and Heljin comfort zone hopefully we may see them approach new companies in the future like NATO, Atlas, Roco etc.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:20 am

GeraldH wrote:I've often thought that Hornby could produce a railroad version of the J70 to replace their awful overscale Toby. They could then have sold it as a better Toby, or as a budget J70...

The two products have to be kept completely separate. The owner of the rights to TTTE requires the licencee to make what they specify to match the desired appearance; now typically as the models seen in the television programmes. An accurate model of the real J70 will not conform in appearance.

Which is good, as otherwise the model might attract demands for a licence fee payment. Some may remember that this was tried on some years ago on the Terrier, the then rights owner not realising that the 'Stepney' name and style was not their intellectual property at all, since it long predated the Awdry TTTE books.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:57 pm

I told myself that there's no sense in buying any more loco's as I cannot run them due to the size of my layout except for perhaps a Wickham trolley.
Now that has been released with no easy DCC socket this could end up in my fleet. :)
I look forward to seeing more as the project progresses but hope other liverys are available as I don't model LNER.
I have some of those Hornby short 4 wheelers that I think would look good behind it. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:13 pm

The alternative would be BR, as these locos never went off GER and then LNER(GE) territory

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:05 pm

BR will do fine If they release that livery but does anyone know any preliminary released date?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:29 am

At the moment it is only a proposal, no date at all.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:36 am

Thank you Bigmet.
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 pm

They've been available to pre-order for a couple of months now, I've got 68219 with partial skirting, planning to pre-order 68225 with no skirting, and 68222 with full skirting next, as it would be interesting to see the setailing differences between the three, I have full confidence in Rapido & Model Rail to make this a stunning loco, for the GER livery you'll have to email them directly to express interest for one.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:43 am

Would anyone have any web links per chance please?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:36 am

End2end wrote:Would anyone have any web links per chance please?
Thanks
End2end

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/160/Project-J70

Here's the link to the page on the site for their exclusive models.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:16 am

Perfect. Thank you sir hayden. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”