DJM J94 on sale

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: DJM J94 on sale

Post by Bigmet »

Sorry to read that, but not unduly surprised. The problem with the RTR split chassis construction made down to a price is that it isn't the most mechanically stable or robust item, and as a result somewhat 'tweaky' when it comes to maintenance. (Quite possible that a repeat attempt at strip down and reassembly on a day when you are coming to the job fresh and brimming with confidence will obtain a better result - nothing to lose really.) Call me old fashioned but it's a solid cast chassis block, wheels force fitted on steel axles and pick up wipers, if I am going to take a punt on an OO RTR steamer.
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Bigmet wrote:Call me old fashioned but it's a solid cast chassis block, wheels force fitted on steel axles and pick up wipers, if I am going to take a punt on an OO RTR steamer.
Funny you should say that. I had a bachmann Webb coal tank join the fleet today. Same price, chalk & cheese performance
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

dubdee1000 wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Call me old fashioned but it's a solid cast chassis block, wheels force fitted on steel axles and pick up wipers, if I am going to take a punt on an OO RTR steamer.
Funny you should say that. I had a bachmann Webb coal tank join the fleet today. Same price, chalk & cheese performance
Number of comments floating around the www re the coal tank; the pick-up wipers are very low and can cause the loco to jam on tight clearances (point check rails ). A basic design error.
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Saw those. At the risk of going off topic, the pickups are low, but not found any problems so far and my track laying isn't the best!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mike Parkes wrote:
dubdee1000 wrote:
Number of comments floating around the www re the coal tank; the pick-up wipers are very low and can cause the loco to jam on tight clearances (point check rails ). A basic design error.
But here's the thing, I can easily recognise that problem, and then implement a fix by DIY: probably by no more than a slight rearrangement of the badly positioned parts on the model, to place them where the designer should have got them to go. (I cannot remember on which RTR OO model I saw this, once the mechanism was disassembled, the intended assembly was clear: the designer had left the assembly operative an option to place one of the parts where it shouldn't have been. Restored to correct position, the model went from slow and jerky running to good smooth performance.)

As compared to commercial split chassis construction it is simpler to work on to obtain improvement, has far better robustness and longevity, and may be DIY modified and repaired with readily obtained spares from the kit-building sources should manufacturer supplies dry up. With commercial split chassis, replacement parts have always been unique to model and manufacturer, not a good recipe for long term sparing.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Early Bachmann 08s BigMet?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I have two 'first production run' Bach 08s and they run completely reliably, with no little thanks to the sprung centre axle in the mechanism which I have given more travel. And of course the originally fitted pick up wipers have been the subject of a modification: a little reshaping so that they bear on the flange tops instead of the tyre, and they are efficient current collectors instead of dirt scrapers...

Bachmann did subsequently correct the wiper arrangement on their 08, and I fully expect will do the same on the Coal Tank if the customers make it clear that the present wiper layout is unsatisfactory. I fancy one of these that's wheezed its way onto ER metals, so will wait to snag a cheap one, confident that it can be modified to work as well as any comparable mechanism. 'Every cloud has a silver lining'...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mike Parkes wrote: Number of comments floating around the www re the coal tank; the pick-up wipers are very low and can cause the loco to jam on tight clearances (point check rails ). A basic design error.
And a solution has been identified and demonstrated. Bend over the tips of the four wipers bearing on the centre and trailing coupled wheelbacks, and the resulting slightly shortened wipers are removed from any risk of rail contact. Good demonstration of how this construction is usually very easy to adjust or alter slightly to improve it.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Dave announced five new main release models

OOJ94-006 N° 85 in MSC lined Grey

OOJ94-007 N° 12 in NCB Kent Area lined Blue

OOJ94-008 N° 69 in NCB Durham Area #2 lined Black

OOJ94-009 N° 1380 ANTWERP in NCB Maroon and tall Coal Bunker

OOJ94-010 J94 N° 68049 in BR plain Black with tall Coal Bunker
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

More releases eh. That's interesting, considering three of the first batch are now in Hattons bargain bin; plus of course they have the (large) residue of the Rmweb limited edition
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Rails also have reduced some and are cheaper than Hattons on the LNER ones - £69.50 compared to £72 (£73.50 compared to £76 with postage)
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

May be of interest, particularly the more robust comments:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... w-13997345

Note to mods: please advise if felt inappropriate. Has already been posted in a larger forum, from where it predictably disappeared.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I've asked Pennine MC for assurance he has the right guy. Assuming he has, I'll act on the opinions of the majority.

John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Odd that it should say hes a designer, not a business owner.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I can well believe it is the very same individual, because of the characteristic malapropism reported in the article.