Peco - yes Peco! - better OO track

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Peco - yes Peco! - better OO track

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:48 am

What on earth has happened? Finally Peco are acknowledging that better OO track is possible.
http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/peco- ... ramme.html

Do they really need to be told that it is matching points that are crucial to its success?

What do we want? Matching points!
When do we want them? Twenty years ago already!

RFS

Re: Peco - yes Peco! - better OO track

Postby RFS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Totally agree that matching points are needed. Quite apart from the problem of connecting bullhead rail to flat-bottom rail, you need a total solution at the same time. Who is going to install bullhead track with flat-bottom points, knowing that Peco could announce bullhead points the day after you've finished tracklaying?
Robert Smith

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm

I was amused to see what has the appearance of a threat in the last paragraph:-

"Only plain track has been announced initially. However, if there is a positive reaction to its release, then Peco may consider releasing pointwork in the future" (note "may consider" ).

Does this mean 'buy our track and kill SMPs market first or you won't get the points' ? Ah well, that's business. On the other hand, I may be a superannuated kid, but I would prefer not being talked to like one!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Would it be too much to hope that points with bullhead rail could appear with switch rails not thin blades for the first ten feet or so.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:57 pm

What about the turntable motor with eight indexed positions. I imagine that the newly tooled turntable (to accommodate mount points) plus motor will not be inexpensive. Will await reports on noise levels before committing.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:49 pm

The new Peco bullhead code 75 is going on sale, and a pair of matching points are in development, so Peco presumably assessed the market reaction as positive. 'Watch this space' from here onwards. If it proves a real commercial success, this could even lead to an alternative OO set track option with more of the sophistication long normal and expected in the HO market.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:16 pm

The US section of the H0 market has had it's own track range for some time. How different is that to continental track, or is the current 00/H0 compromrise close enough for them.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Completely different, the US place their sleepers much closer together than European railways... Also the US stuff is Code 83 as opposed to Code 100 or 75.

Here's the wye points diagrams:

http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Fi ... /SL-97.pdf

http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Fi ... L-8348.pdf

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:06 pm

While European HO track majors on a far wider choice of set track pieces than is found in OO. Want a larger choice of larger set track radii and large radius points and crossings, HO ranges have that. Not very accurate for the most part, there or thereabouts equivalent to Peco Streamline when used for HO in terms of compromises - though not necessarily the same compromises - and then there are competitors in the 'finescale' arena such as Tillig (code 82) and 'Mein Gleis' from Rolf Weinert, the latter of which is heading toward P87 which is the 3.5mm/ft true scale system. And amusingly some of the 'better OO track' that has long been available, is used by HO modellers who want a lighter bullhead rail track to model the earlier periods of their railway history...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Would it be too much to hope that points with bullhead rail could appear with switch rails not thin blades for the first ten feet or so.

The points are on sale, and with continuous switch rails too. Significant improvement over all previous RTR track for OO purposes. Twice the price, but it is easily twice the product.

Hopefully it will win sufficient sales to persuade Peco to develop the range quickly. Fortuitous good timing on their part too, with both Hornby and Bachmann going relatively slowly on new introductions, there's probably some cash about.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:49 am

As long as they keep making code 100 for 00 gauge use, people like me will be happy. I dont mind what else they make if it keeps others happy as well. I see also some lovely 009 items in there as well. That will make some smile with delight!

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:36 am

Dave wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Twice the price, but it is easily twice the product.

Why do you think it is :?:

Fundamentally it is still the wrong gauge.

For people who are happy to work in OO scale using 16.5mm gauge to represent 4ft 8.5ins the narrowness of the gauge is irrelevant, it's how it looks that's the issue. And he's answered that question, it looks much better than code 100... Even the old Farish Formway track looked better than the code 100 Peco/Hornby offerings!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 am

Dave wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Twice the price, but it is easily twice the product.

Why do you think it is :?:

Fundamentally it is still the wrong gauge.

Of course it is, but it looks much more like UK track when laid and ballasted, than previous Peco offerings. I have been using combinations of SMP, C&L and Marcway products to get the same effect for years. (In my youth I did the EM and P4 things, but life is too short to stuff these mushrooms if you want the large main line layout on which to operate today's good RTR.)

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 am

Because one is ready to use and the other takes some time and skill to assemble it... And, depending on the builders skill level, may not work as well as the RTR item?

Same argument as buying a cheaper kit rather than an RTR item, sometimes I've decided I'd rather buy a more expensive RTR item than try and scratch build or build a kit, it's a personal choice!
Last edited by b308 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

Dave wrote:
b308 wrote: the narrowness of the gauge is irrelevant, it's how it looks that's the issue. And he's answered that question, it looks much better than code 100...

Why is the wrong gauge irrelevant ? and no, if you read my question he hasn't answered it.

It's irrelevant because the user has already accepted the fact that he is using an incorrect gauge by continuing to model with 16.5mm gauge, so the fact that the gauge is wrong doesn't come into the buying equation, it's just about which looks better, code 100 or code 75.
Last edited by b308 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”