Dean Goods, second loco released by Oxford Rail

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Lysander

Re: Dean Goods, second loco released by Oxford Rail

Postby Lysander » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Having seen a model running and had a chance to look at it in detail for a review, I shall certainly be buying an all-green one when it becomes available. I'll post a link in a few days. It has faults, but for all that, to produce something credible that sells for less than £90 in some places is a considerable achievement.

The old adage will always apply: if you like it, buy it. If you don't, well.....

The real problem has been not so much the faults in the body but the corrosive effect that the vitriolic criticism has had in some quarters. Me, I'd rather make my own mind up based on experience, realism and objectivity.

Believe me, it's really not that bad.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:01 pm

These are three photos that I took earlier today. I don't want one in this livery [post-1906] because it's generally too early for me. The review will give more detail in due course. I really like the modelling of the front buffer beam hook and have never seen this before in r-t-r. At last. somewhere to hang the scale coupling. The cab detail is extremely good too. The lining is well applied as is the brass smoke box ring. If I bought this I'd repaint the chimney capuchon however and probably paint the handrails and dummy coupling hook black or very dark steel. Both easy jobs.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 am

Thanks for that Tony,

It's my intention to buy an early BR livery when available.
I want something different to haul my wagons and this is
the ideal subject. I just hope it runs through St Ovals 1st
radius curves, as that's where it'll probably spend much of
it's life.
Those shots more or less confirm my intentions make sense.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am

To add to which I have now seen one running on a DC resistance controller, and it is right up there with the sweetest running OO steam models like the Bach 9f and Hornby J15. (I don't need a Dean goods, but the mechanism is useful to me, so I will buy one when a suitably low low price comes along.)

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”