Golden Valley new loco

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Golden Valley new loco

Post by Bigmet »

Apparently the OO RTR market isn't yet sufficiently crowded to deter another entrant from bringing out a loco. The information will be on the Oxford Rail stand at the Warley show. Oxford Rail are the manufacturing partner.
skyblue

Re: Golden Valley new loco

Post by skyblue »

I do think the market must be getting to saturation point. Like a supersaturated solution (look it up on youtube) in chemistry, all it will need is a bit of disturbance for a lot of the manufacturers to crash out. By this I mean that something like a loss of manufacturing output or delays could cause one of the many manufacturers (in particular the smaller ones) to fail, as they won't have any products to sell, whereas a company like Hornby or Bachmann could probably coast along for quite a while, as indeed some people would argue Bachmann currently are.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

skyblue wrote:I do think the market must be getting to saturation point.
Well it is certainly getting close to that for Southern Locomotives, time they started looking elsewhere for inspiration, like anywhere north of Watford.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

It's more like rarified than saturated for examples north of the border. I'm surprised nobody has tested the water yet beyond the D11/2s that Bachy make.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

luckymucklebackit wrote:
skyblue wrote:I do think the market must be getting to saturation point.
Well it is certainly getting close to that for Southern Locomotives, time they started looking elsewhere for inspiration, like anywhere north of Watford.
Think you got your wish there as it is a rod coupled industrial diesel, Yorkhire Engine Company's 'Janus' type. Mostly used North of the Thames.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Has anybody got one of these yet? I see Rails are doing the POL liveried ones for just shy of £73, which seems a reasonable price nowadays. The POL ones aren't out for another few weeks yet, only the NCB ones are as far as I know.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I am definitely interested in these although unable to decide if a sound version is more preferable. The only 'negative' I see is the engineering plastic siderails. On several models seen the railing is wavy and does detract from the model. Otherwise I feel that it is perfect.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Hopefully the vipers will not come out spitting, but two sensible reviewers on another site both have running problems, including the omission of the flywheel on one which would have been welcome for smoother running. Possibly a production line omission or perhaps a design change for the production model.

I will hold off on purchasing shares in the company for the time being until things settle down.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Is this a variant on the Hornby designed rod couple Sentinel. Up to now they have been distributing Hornby International products from Electrotren, given a UK livery but still H0. It would be an obvious choice for production. Electrotren/Hornby's manufacturer seems to have expertise in smaller mechanisms, two Sentinel diesels and the Peckett, have all been well received
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

John,
it is an Oxford Rail sourced full OO scale 6-wheel coupled centre cab diesel model which looked to have a lot of potential. No connection to Hornby/Electrotren.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Bufferstop wrote:Is this a variant on the Hornby designed rod couple Sentinel. Up to now they have been distributing Hornby International products from Electrotren, given a UK livery but still H0. It would be an obvious choice for production. Electrotren/Hornby's manufacturer seems to have expertise in smaller mechanisms, two Sentinel diesels and the Peckett, have all been well received

They have not distributed Electron or any of Hornby`s international range for at least two years now. The model is pure Oxford Rail
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

They have not distributed Electron or any of Hornby`s international range for at least two years now.
Lordy doesn't time fly when you're having fun :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Rails have put the price up of the POL liveried ones up by £10, so I've cancelled my order what with all these reports of poor QC.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Seems to be very little technical data on this site for the loco. On another site a modeller has commented on the poor performance of the latest "BP" livery now on firesale at Hattons. Images on the thread on that site seem to show a very small possibly coreless motor. If true then I will not be purchasing the model. Perhaps some one could verify the type of motor fitted.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

GWR_fan wrote:Seems to be very little technical data on this site for the loco. On another site a modeller has commented on the poor performance of the latest "BP" livery now on firesale at Hattons.
Seem to a far larger number of people who have no problem with the running of the BP one - looks like someone got a duff one.