Stirling single announced

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Stirling single announced - Page 2 Shipped.

Postby Bigmet » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 am

Happily this loco ran in preservation one several occasions. So quite modern stock including a couple of BR mk1s are an applicable train.

Genuine contemporary GNR stock is strictly build it yourself from kits at present, we don't even have the GNR design concept stock that stayed in service to 1966, the KX service 'Quad Arts'.

D605Eagle

Re: Stirling single announced

Postby D605Eagle » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Didn't Dublo do a quadart set in tinplate many moons ago? (not suggesting using these if they did!)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 08, 2018 7:59 pm

This one's going to cheat, the rear carrying wheels will be driven by a second gear set of an appropriate ratio making it a 4-2-2-0. As the engineer son of a proper engineer, a much better solution IMHO.
Happily this loco ran in preservation one several occasions

It did indeed, I bunked off school (on the pretext of visiting Aston CAT, now a UNI) so I could mosey along to Moor Street where it was on display along with Midland Compound 1000.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Mountain wrote:...They will need to make some suitable rolling stock to go with it...

Latest from the NRM Locomotion is that they are thinking about this aspect. I am going to suggest that the GNR's final six-wheel coaches would be perfect. These were the last generation of rigid frame passenger vehicles built for the GNR and ECML, before bogie passenger stock provision became general, but they lived on to practically the end of steam, still running in service to the end of the 1930s, and then much used as departmental stock, accounting for a good number of survivors extant to be measured up. So they are a 'fit' for not just the Stirling single, but also their Ivatt Atlantic, and all GNR and LNER steam designs that followed. Hope that this idea makes it to production.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 am

Rapido have confirmed that the batch of Stirling singles departed the factory very early in June and are afloat. So given the usual transit time and clearance of the container at the UK port, my expectation would be deliveries to begin in July. (The sample photo of the finished loco with this information looks delightful.)

Although the Oxford Rail N7 is much more important to me operationally (if forced to choose between them I'd take a pair of N7s) there is just a teeny bit of excitement here over the Stirling single, much as with the NRM's gorgeous EE DP1. These remain the only two models I have pre-ordered.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Well, the spare sets of side chains have arrived by post...

And no sooner had I entered that and then poured myself a cup of tea, than the item itself arrived at 13:14 (vs ETA of 13:16!).

Looks magnificent, runs beautifully, pulls a more than adequate train load. All solidly good news.

In the accompanying documentation there is mention that NRM Locomotion are underway on a project to produce suitable GNR passenger rolling stock, and hope to announce later this year. That truly ices the cake. (I hope it's the late six wheelers as these were long lived - still in departmental service in the 1960s - so a match to all currently produced steam era models for the southern area of the LNER and ER.)

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:39 am

Bigmet wrote:Well, the spare sets of side chains have arrived by post...

And no sooner had I entered that and then poured myself a cup of tea, than the item itself arrived at 13:14 (vs ETA of 13:16!)......

After reading the delivery fiasco on the other site, one wonders if you only received one model or multiple unordered models. At least international orders were handled inhouse so hopefully all of those will be dispatched correctly.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

Mine came correctly addressed and on time (and just one!) so all was well in that department. All the order documentation and receipts for deposit and fulfillment payments were in my name too so the order fulfilment process definitely worked alright in my case. There was an odd aspect to the delivery handling. There was another name on the packaging wrap and printed rather more prominently than the name and address, 'Laurence', just that, nothing more. Who Laurence?!

The more important stuff, Rapido have delivered on expectation, it is a beautifully made and finished model that feels really solid and weighty in the hand. Better still it runs so sweetly. Good instructions on how to get the best from it, by some initial running forward and reverse at moderate pace. This served to quiet some initial gear whine, and smooth as it was when first run, after a couple of hours it would crawl dead slow very smoothly indeed on the old H&M Duette I use to test mechanisms ahead of decoder fitting. (For any of a nervous disposition, my Duette was ordered with the optional high resistance mats which give very small output when just on; even with modern can motors there is no movement until halfway to the first mark.)

Even better is the movement on track, exceptionally good for a small short wheelbase loco, no crabbing about or yawing, it just sits solidly on the track as it glides along. My test track is deliberately a little rough, it is there to see if a new model is track sensitive in any way. There are some poor curve and gradient transitions and a complex point network. This model soaked it up undisturbed without hesitation or any jerky movement.

It will pull a good load on level track, a larger train than the prototype would be seen with, so full marks there, and will go up to a scale full express speed and some. The action of the big wheel and connecting rod is a real joy, gives a gliding impression while the model is in motion. This purchaser feels he got his money's worth. Bear in mind it's something I have always wanted, and couldn't see a way to a satisfactory running result by my own efforts, so have made do up until now with the old Kitmaster as a static item. (I have sweated blood to make good runners out of GNR atlantics from kits in the past, and frankly know my limits when it comes to small mechanisms and crowded wheelbases with close fitting bodywork!)

While the model documentation is good, one item is missing. There's no parts assembly diagram! Put in a request that this be made available, preferably as a download.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:25 am

Bigmet,
it sounds like a marvellous model, albeit despite its appeal not in my area of interest.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 am

GWR_fan wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Well, the spare sets of side chains have arrived by post...

And no sooner had I entered that and then poured myself a cup of tea, than the item itself arrived at 13:14 (vs ETA of 13:16!)......

After reading the delivery fiasco on the other site, one wonders if you only received one model or multiple unordered models. At least international orders were handled inhouse so hopefully all of those will be dispatched correctly.

Wow they sure know how to make a full blown, world ending event in a teacup over a problem that Locomotion and Rapido are quickly dealing with on RMweb!
Last edited by D605Eagle on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 am

Do I catch a whiff there of some folk very anxious to have their models in hand and 'perfect' ready for resale the moment the run is sold out? Just my nasty suspicious mind working. (Let's hope the run doesn't quickly sell out... :lol: )

I have now undertaken the combination event (precision placement and wrestling match) to get the tender top off and back in place, in order to fit a decoder. (The tender top casting includes two cast pillars inside to take the securing screws, and these pillars were firmly gripping the socket blanking plug! I could feel the plastic chassis bending as I tried to get the body off. Wiggling got me there in the end... As for restoring the two tiny securing screws into holes that cannot be seen, having first manoeuvered the screw past two close fitting detail parts to get to the out of sight screw hole entry point: not a good design Rapido...)

Mike Parkes

Re: Stirling single announced - Page 2 Shipped.

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Bigmet wrote:Happily this loco ran in preservation one several occasions. So quite modern stock including a couple of BR mk1s are an applicable train.

However the tender with the model has only been coupled to No.1 since 2014 and it has never run in preservation with that large tender.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 am

I'll only say this, that if you have one running on your layout - with the tender representative of what they were equipped with at the end of their service career - the big grin from ear to ear will wipe away any thoughts of preservation operation with the early tender. Anyway, it's had a month's worth of running sessions so I think it passes as mechanically reliable. All very pleasing

(Personally I am entirely happy that we got the 'big tender' it should always have had as most appropriate for its 'as preserved' condition. When the loco was first set aside to be retained in preservation, no tender was kept for it. (The tender it had at the end of its service will have been re-allocated if serviceable to another loco, the GNR was a business that worked its assets hard.) Later on, the early tender found and used with no 1 for exhibition and then running purposes, probably had never previously been allocated to any of the Stirling singles when in service, the evidence rather hazy. It was close enough in appearance to the tender type no 1 originally had at introduction in 1870, but no 1 looked rather different back then, the design evolving significantly over the 30 some years they ran, with no 1 extensively rebuilt from original condition...)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:12 am

My mouse decided it would scroll to the first post on the page, and for the first time I noticed this
. There was an odd aspect to the delivery handling. There was another name on the packaging wrap and printed rather more prominently than the name and address, 'Laurence', just that, nothing more. Who Laurence?!

Had to get something to calm the nerves, Laurence :o was a perennial problem when I first started around here, took several attempts to oust him, and I notice from the classified pages of certain magazines that he's still around, otherwise known as "Triang Man" :cry: , never misses an opportunity to try to flog you something. I hope you got rid of that wrapper.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Rest easy, wrapper long gone to landfill!

Yes, I recall one or two of 'Triangmans' more interesting pronunciamentos.

It was a bit more containable back in the day when handwriting or typing restricted the input rate, and an editor was in the communication stream.

Although; early in my career I was thrown a customer complaint to go over, so lengthy that I had to take it home to read in the evening. The following day I was asked firstly at what point I had discerned where exactly the cheese had slipped off our valued complainant's cracker, and had to confess it was at 'and finally (55thly)'; and then had I managed to formulate a polite, just and brief response? The latter at least was easy. Roughly half way through there was a complete statement demonstrating that the warranty and service terms had been completely voided, and thus it was possible to suggest that he approach the fully identified third party responsible, as wholly liable for the entire situation. (Allow someone independent to cut holes in major structural elements, and then complain to the original manufacturer that it then broke at these locations? I don't think so.)

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”