Updates from Oxford- Radial + new wagons

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Updates from Oxford- Radial + new wagons

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:15 pm

mattmay05 wrote:...Oxford rail were in attendance and had 3 samples on display in the shop. 2 painted samples in LSWR pea green numbered 488, and another BR black, and lastly a tooling sample, sadly no-one was allowed to take images of the painted ones which was a big shame as they were looking quite impressive, despite small issues with handrails which were being resolved at the factory...

There's probably more than the hand rails to be resolved at the factory. Look at what should be the straight line of the footplate edges, meandering about like a river; (big dip very noticeable toward the front) now that's in pale grey so is the cast metal element of the body work, much the same technique that Bachmann use for their steamers. As it is not straight, but the black plastic components above are generally well aligned, that means a fits problem exists between the metal and plastic parts. It can also be seen that one of the cab sides has an airgap to the top of the well tank. So not production ready just yet: this is not a criticism, this is exactly what a tooling sample is there to reveal for correction before the big green light comes on for a production run, and hopefully Oxford are well aware. (Be worth looking on the livery sample models when Oxford release their own pics to see if this problem is present on these too.)

alex3410 wrote:...The wagons look nice and their rrp pf £8.95 even more so :lol:

Yes. It has been sorted somewhat to correct criticisms voiced when first shown, and will now fit in pretty seamlessly with kit built models of the same prototypes from ABS, Parkside, etc. and the Bachmann RTR models made available over the past 15 years. But it isn't far to look to find the Bachmann models at retail new for £7, and s/h £4/£5. How many more of this type are there customers for, however pretty the livery?http://www.ehattons.com/52656/Bachmann_Branchline_37_085A_7_plank_end_door_wagon_in_North_End_livery/StockDetail.aspx

I cannot bring myself to believe that there are going to be the sales for this very hackneyed subject matter, to better what might have been possible from tooling something never before available in OO RTR in good quality like LMS standard general merchandise opens and vans. OK, these cannot carry many colourful liveries, but they are wagons that any steam era 1924 - 1968 modeller concerned for realism needs to have in bucket loads, and Bachmann haven't done them yet - note that Bachmann cleaned up totally on the 'dull as ditchwater' but essential BR 16T mineral when launching their Blue Riband range. Until they got up to about the 'G' variant of the standard grey dia 1/108 you had to purchase them within a week of arrival to get any at all, they left the shelves like the snow melts in spring...

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 am

Bigmet wrote:[ Look at what should be the straight line of the footplate edges, meandering about like a river;

Nope, doesn't look like one of those either :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_K_and_SR_K1_classes

( But it isn't far to look to find the Bachmann models at retail new for £7, and s/h £4/£5. ... I cannot bring myself to believe that there are going to be the sales for this very hackneyed subject matter,...

I feel your incredulity, but don't share it: I think the Oxford wagons will largely sell to the same buyers who are happy with similarly attractive liveries on the more seriously incorrect wagons - either overlong or otherwise distorted - made by Hornby and Dapol. Those too are available in their thousands secondhand, but the secondhand market (other than Ebay, which is largely untypical) just doesn't seem to enter into the equation for a lot of folk.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Bigmet wrote:There must be some immense trains out there on grouping period layouts by now. Then again we now have a fine selection of RTR grouping era freight heavies (O1, O4, G2A, 7F, 8F, Beyer Garratt, 28/38xx, 52xx, 72xx, and the O2 and S15 announced) and I am sure that everyone wants an 80 wagon coal train to go behind each one they own.

I must hold my hands up at this point - I own an LNER O4, O6 and O7, and have an LMS G2A on order, and I regularly run them at the head of 30+ wagon trains. I can't really fit the appropriate-length trains on my layout. But I am a sucker for a nicely-turned-out wagon... That said, so far Oxford's wagons have failed to tempt me. Nor has the Radial, but that's more a question of livery than anything else - when do we think the gorgeous SR olive will make an appearance?

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Here are some images of a tooling sample, which is basically testing various parts of the tooling so it's not based on a particular model.
They had 2 painted samples at the Bluebell which looked pretty good to my eye, I had a quick look over one, and decided to swap from my Hornby order, as I preferred some of the design decisions on the chassis to Hornby's. They reported to run well on DC as one was run on a layout at the Bluebell.

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/125-oxfordeppics

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:15 am

No sign yet of pictures of the livery samples that they said they had in the UK to check over? If they can progress the Radial from EP to product landed in the UK at much the same rate as the wagon, then these should make it in 2015.

Anyone bought an Oxford wagon yet?

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:10 am

LSWR and BR Livery versions were on display at the Bluebell, sadly no photo's were allowed of the livery samples due to them not being approved or checked over by experts... who ever their experts are, sadly Oxford rail so far have been quite poor at communicating progress... didn't know until a week before the model event in June that they actually had produced anything.

TheObserver

Postby TheObserver » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Bigmet wrote:No sign yet of pictures of the livery samples that they said they had in the UK to check over? If they can progress the Radial from EP to product landed in the UK at much the same rate as the wagon, then these should make it in 2015.

Anyone bought an Oxford wagon yet?

Hi, Bigmet,

The Oxfordrail update of 29 June may have the images you're looking for: http://www.oxfordrail.com/
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:31 pm

The Liverpool lot emailed me last week to say the wagon I ordered (just to see what their quality is like) is due in mid September.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:07 pm

TheObserver wrote:The Oxfordrail update of 29 June may have the images you're looking for: http://www.oxfordrail.com/

Seen those. It's photographs of the sample liveries applied to the actual models that I am looking for. If the photo is good enough there can be all sorts of information to be gleaned about the state of play in development to production ready status. It's always good to see more than one example of a test assembly, because it is control of variation piece by piece that is most crucial to a reliable assembly.

TheObserver

Postby TheObserver » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:26 pm

Evening all,

At 19:08 this evening (Monday, 17 August) I received the following email from Oxfordrail.

Dear John ,

Please be advised the following 7 plank wagons are releasing this week. Most of these are pre-sold with limited availbale still through the Oxford Diecast web shop.

There then followed photographs of three of the wagons.
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:21 am

I received a Fear Bros Ltd. Oxfordrail OO wagon yesterday. It is nicely molded and looks good. Others will be more qualified to comment on accuracy, but I have a favourable impression from what others have said on various forums.

It runs well, even without a load. I didn't need to change the wheels, as I sometimes find myself doing on a certain other source of ready to run wagons.

Fitting Kadees was easy. There wasn't excessive up and down play within the NEM pocket. The NEM pocket was at the expected height. I used 18s for my layout; they seem okay on it for my tight (30" radius) scenic curve.

I would be happy to buy more of their wagons in future.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:35 am

There are 2 of the red versions in my local model shop. I had a look at them and they seem fairly run of the mill wagons (nothing wrong with that) to me. Priced at the RRP of £8.95. Sadly they didn't have the green Weymouth wagons I wish to buy but It's great to see something new in my local as their stock can be somewhat stagnant. Hopefully the Weymouth ones will be in stock soon. Not often that you can buy new rolling stock for under a tenner. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:30 pm

I got the three releases today. Very nice looking wagons, but the wheels look like they don't have any sort of cone to their profile, I've nowt to run them on yet so I cant comments if that will cause an issue. The only other thing is there couplings stick out a bit too far for me so theres an overly large gap between each wagon. Not easily cured that, but I will cure it!
In conclusion they are as good as the best Bachmann offerings (also suffer from over large coupling gaps), and a good few pounds cheaper. I'll be buying more!

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:39 pm

I shall be popping into my local model shop tomorrow so hopefully they will have the Weymouth wagon in stock now. But knowing the shop, hope is usually dashed by the same old same old stock. Fingers crossed. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:27 am

D605Eagle wrote:... The only other thing is there couplings stick out a bit too far for me so theres an overly large gap between each wagon. Not easily cured that, but I will cure it!...

What's your method? On the Bachmann coupler I cut about 2mm off the front of the pockets, and a matching length off the coupler tails. Usually the cutting action by a small pair of old snips leaves the two components a tight fit with each other, but if not a dot of superglue secures.

The bumper bar then ends up in the same plane as the buffer faces, so there's no chance of buffer lock, but the wagons buffer up on straight track when pushed, and open out to scale separation when pulled, about a scale 6" between buffer faces. This looks rather good in action, and although the tension lock isn't the best thing in the world, I'll accept it on my wagons as it performs this very satisfactory 'loose coupled' effect suitable for unbraked steam era stock.(Limits them to about a 24" minimum radius, so not for set track.)

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”