Updates from Oxford- Radial + new wagons

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
End2end

Updates from Oxford- Radial + new wagons

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Just received an email update from Oxford on the Adams Radial, PLUS new private owner wagons.
As stated from the site -
"we have developed a new 7 Plank wagon - it is fully tooled. The standard 12 Ton Mineral wagon was the most numerous design of coal wagons built in the UK after 1923. Designed to RCH specifications (Railway Clearing House) this most ubiquitous of wagons had a universal length of 16'6" with a width of 8'0" and wheelbase of 9'0".

All are £8.95 each for the 6 different liveried private owner wagons.
The web link - http://www.oxfordrail.com/
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

skyblue

Re: Updates from Oxford

Postby skyblue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm

That's really not a bad price for a wagon - much better than Bachmann who charge around £12 for their's, and better value for money than Hornby too, with the quality of the model.

End2end

Re: Updates from Oxford- Radial + new wagons

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Most definatly skyblue. I am leaning towards the Weymouth & District green wagon, just because I haven't seen many green wagons.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

I guess they have done their research, and are confident that private owner liveried RCH 12 tonners wil sell, despite the long term presence of Bachmann's similar various offerings over the past 15 years of broadly equivalent quality and accuracy. The new product might have the advantage in finer representation of the side sheeting, but there's been no noticeable demand or campaign for more refinement. And then there's the Dapol, Hornby, Mainline, Airfix mountain of generally less accurate wagons. And all the kits of course, including those with pre-printed PO sides...

There must be some immense trains out there on grouping period layouts by now. Then again we now have a fine selection of RTR grouping era freight heavies (O1, O4, G2A, 7F, 8F, Beyer Garratt, 28/38xx, 52xx, 72xx, and the O2 and S15 announced) and I am sure that everyone wants an 80 wagon coal train to go behind each one they own. That must be the explanation. Because nobody would ever think of running such wagons in the BR steam period. Which we are told is the hot spot for demand at present.

The green body colour wagon and the oblique name are the stand outs for me. The rest rather samey. Given that these are eye-candy sales I am a little surprised not to also see an 'arc' style name and a giant size name style like MOIRA, WEMYSS or KITSON.

6C

Postby 6C » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:46 am

July 2015 - for the BR versions according to eHattons today
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:18 am

This wagon has been taking something of a pasting, after some close up images were shown on MREmag. It's neatly tooled, and hopefully the paint finish will be a match, but many features on the wagon are wrong for the description as 'RCH 1923 design'. The one that caught my eye is a groove right across the face of the buffer plank that has no business being there; and there's quite a few more. As such the existing Bachmann wagon is significantly better, although it too - as its designer Merl Evans acknowledged - carries the same feature which marks it out as really WWII or later, the clips for the capping strip that protect the plank tops.

The point there being that these clips were not present when the vast majority of these wagons were freshly decorated in Private Owner liveries, as this activity ceased on this type of wagon in 1939, and was never resumed on BR, and not seen until preservation got going. My guess is that many of the spurious features have been picked up from a preserved specimen, modified in many ways from its 'as built' condition. This is a regular trap for model makers: some may remember that Hornby's first effort at the current range of Gresley coaches were very inaccurate due to copying what preservationists had done.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm

the green Weymouth & District Co-op wagon looks rather nice, will be interesting to see what the quality is like but the price point is much better then the current going rate for wagons i just hope the quality is there as well

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Broken my own rule about pre-grouping locos and pre-ordered one in BR livery! the LSWR's pea green doesn't really do it for me - if they did one in Drummond livery might have gone for that, but really looking forward to seeing Oxford rail's first attempt at a loco. I'm sure it will be excellent, for a first entrance it can't really be anything else. Very reasonably priced too, compared to the Hornby one, £88 on eHattons compared to over £110 for Hornby. That plus Hornby's isn't expected until much later, and I think this will go down very well.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18 am

Some weeks ago Hattons were taking pre-orders for the wagons so I took a punt at the one with a local(to me) name. I'll let you know what I think of it once it arrives.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm

All gone rather quiet at Oxford Rail. Their site information mentioned showing samples of the Radial by end April 2015. Have to be a replacement bus service then...

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Bigmet wrote:All gone rather quiet at Oxford Rail. Their site information mentioned showing samples of the Radial by end April 2015. Have to be a replacement bus service then...

Certainly looks that way, a shame, not the best of starts; first deadline missed already! Still hopeful that they'll be arriving on timish though.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:...Still hopeful that they'll be arriving on timish though.

Seen this before; when aiming to enter a market at 'class-leading' standard the first products really have to be right. And that's where the regular 'devil is in the detail' problem emerges. The standard for appearance is already pretty tough in OO, and I don't imagine the proprieter of the business much enjoyed the reaction to the RCH mineral wagon's several significant faults. That wasn't what was being aimed at at all if I understand their original statement of intent! It's gone very quiet since then.

Anyone else remember the delay between Bachmann showing the intent of their 'better than anything seen previously in OO RTR' blue riband range - I think that was 1995/1996 - and the first product actually becoming available, which was around the end of 1999? (It certainly was the best thing yet in RTR OO, the WD 2-8-0 still right up there in terms of what is available in RTR.) Likewise when Dapol announced a re-entry to OO with all new 'best in class' products in 2008 to be available from 2009? Well I cannot for the life of me remember when the first of it did start to emerge, but some of the 'to be available 2009' product has still to be seen! Both these outfits were already established in the model railway business, so one must assume they were making the best speed possible; there's no profit in taking more time than necessary to develop and product and bring it to market.

Regarding the Radial tank, I think it is worth remembering that this is a difficult subject considered solely as a model mechanism: ten wheels to fit in under a small body, the bogie wheels movement constrained by cylinders, slide bars and steps, tight fitting splashers, trying to represent solid frames while giving the radial trailing truck enough freedom to take up curves. The customer base requirements means it must go around radius 2 curves including the reverse curve of set track point crossovers, and yet it still has to look dead right.

Then there's a compact motor and drive train arrangement to pack in out of sight in a small low centreline boiler. Pick up has to be arranged from as many wheels as possible, at least three on each rail, with minimal drag and no tendency to short circuits. An easily accessible location to install a DCC decoder too, and enough weight balanced about the middle of the driven wheelbase for decent traction and trackholding. The coupler mounts must be positioned correctly for hauling a train, with no tendency to cause either the loco or the vehicle coupled on to derail, pushing or pulling.

As a 'proof of capability' test they don't come much more difficult. (That would be the Stirling single which Rapido are now launched on.) It's a big step up from model road vehicles which don't have to work at all beyond perhaps the road wheels going round when in contact with a level surface. I've built a couple of slightly larger inside cylinder 4-4-2Ts from kits, (LNER C12) and 'sweaty work' is what I would term it to get to a satisfactorily working model.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:04 pm

A very formidable type of model for a first go indeed. I'm sure they will do a good job of it in the end, but how long that will take might be longer than thought. It's in tooling at the moment, so presumably this will be the stage that might go over estimates by the most of they come across difficulties.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 am

Was at the Bluebell weekend just gone for their model event.
Oxford rail were in attendance and had 3 samples on display in the shop. 2 painted samples in LSWR pea green numbered 488, and another BR black, and lastly a tooling sample, sadly no-one was allowed to take images of the painted ones which was a big shame as they were looking quite impressive, despite small issues with handrails which were being resolved at the factory.

There are some shots of the tooling sample on this link:
http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/125-oxfordeppics

The model looks more like a finescale model very nice details very fine rods and some nice items on the cab. One was tested on a layout at the Bluebell and was said to be very good on DC control.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:39 am

its strange they wouldn't let people take photos, you would have thought they would want to build up as much interest as possible especially with Hornby producing the same model as well.

The wagons look nice and their rrp pf £8.95 even more so :lol:

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”