Norfolk & Western J Class 4-8-4

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Phipps

Norfolk & Western J Class 4-8-4

Postby Phipps » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Usually, Im not that fussed about overseas locos.
But my girlfriend's sister got me a lovely book by Ken Boyd
(The Art of the Locomotive) for C'mas & I was taken aback by the N&W J class.
Does anyone know if an HO version (assuming no OO was produced) & failing that, an N gauge.
As it goes, I like the Australian "3801" too, but the N&W looks sleek.

whynot

Re: Norfolk & Western J Class 4-8-4

Postby whynot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:34 pm

£225 plus post and duties on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTH-80-3150-1 ... 0560486274

Seems to be so famous in USA that I suspect a search will find others!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Ooh, you don't want to be looking at that stuff! Other stuff not to look at includes the AT&SF's hot-hat 4-8-4s, the NYC's J3 Hudsons and Niagara 4-8-4s, UP's FEF-2 4-8-4, SP's GS4 Southern Daylight 4-8-4, the Nickel Plate Road's lovely S3 Berkshires and the Milwaukee Road F7 4-6-4 streamliner - this last probably the real all time steam speed record holder, though never given a properly timed run with a dynamometer car.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Bachmann do a model of the J class in both H0 and N scales that comes in at roughly half the price of the MTH model. They've been churning them out for years, so you can probably find them second hand for even less. Appropriate coaches however, well, lets just say that you'll learn to appreciate how cheap UK coaches really are! ;)

Another locomotive certainly not to look at is the Broadway model of the Pennsylvania RR T1 4-4-4-4 Duplex...A shark on rails by all accounts.

As nice as the Milwaukee F7 is, the all time speed was probably a Pennsy T1, the only time one was run in anger with a dynomometer car it recorded 5012hp at the drawbar...and that was recorded by another railroad company who had one on loan from PRR on a mountain route where high speed wasn't possible. There are also a lot of unauthenticated runs of over 140mph behind several of the class, including by technicians trying to discover why the valve gear was getting damaged regularly. These brutes were prone to wheelslip at over 100mph with an inexperienced driver at the throttle. With a proven 6550hp (static tested in the workshops at Altoona) in the cylinders at 85mph you need to be delicate with that kind of power, hence they got a bad reputation as more often than not the crew wasn't that experienced with them!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the response chaps.
As for coaches, if I tracked it down, it would be a "visitor", so just the obligatory set of Pullmans would be fine.
I'll keep an eye open for a 2nd hand one & very likely a Bachmann.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”