Oxfordrail - new OO RTR entrant

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Jim S-W

Re: Oxfordrail - new OO RTR entrant

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 am

Ben A wrote:
Also, we followed Matthew's Streamlined railcar project closely and have tried to learn from his lessons. I would say the chief issue he had was liveries; there were more than one accurate one and he had to allow for this. With the Pendolino the liveries are largely identical: All that changes is the unit number!

cheers

Ben A.

I think you've solved the biggest negative of the GWR project Ben. That being using a brand new, completely unknown manufacturer with no track record at all of what the end result might be. I have to admit when you guys first announced the pendelino with the same manufacturer I thought you'd both gone completely mad!

Ok rapido are unknown too this side of the pond but their reputation is solid in north america and their communication (if a bit odd) and progress on the oo gauge APT project knocks the spots off your original option (who hasn't said anything on the GWR project failing to my knowledge)

I wish you all the best with it.

Jim

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:49 am

New update on their website with some questions answered. It sounds like they've really thought it through very well, looking forward to hearing future announcements too, something from the north staffs would be great :D
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 am

Lysander wrote:
Pennine MC wrote:
mattmay05 wrote:So that's the first Adams Radial announcement now to wait for the other 3, one at Warley.

... However, given the undoubted popularity of this class, I would be surprised if one of the others - or a commissioner - had not actively explored this option and - maybe - was already on the way to an ultimate release.

See what appears at Warley I suppose...

So, back to the Adams Radial. Clearly Hornby are very definitely going to release this too. There's probably enough room in the market for Oxford to get sufficient sales - especially if they get their's released first - to recover their investment. I might even buy one if it looks good mechanically, there's things I can do with that mechanism; and if the body is good a DIY chassis builder will probably buy that off me. Hornby though will sweep up generally, unless their model fails to appear for a year or more after the Oxford release. That red box with THAT name on it; for a lot of folk that's the one that says 'model railway' and buying another brand - even if it is a lovely model - is not the preferred option.

I imagine that this has killed this prototype stone dead at Kernow, and with the other party who had mentioned it as a potential follow up model, the as yet to fully emerge from the shadows AusTrain/BriTrain outfit. But there's plenty of other small and pretty prototypes to go round (Hint J67 - 69, C12 4-4-2T, J21, D20 and D34 4-4-0, SECR 4-4-0 take your pick of the prettiest, LT&SR 4-4-2T, Park 0-6-0T, Dunalastair 4-4-0, Jumbo, 439 class, I could go on).

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:45 am

Bigmet wrote: SECR 4-4-0

After the success of the Bachmann SECR C class I still cant believe one of them have not announced a H or P class to cash in on this obvious popular livery!

all i can do is hope they are working on it and have just not announced it yet :lol:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:08 am

I think you will get those in time. Preserved locos are going to steadily get 'hoovered up' with so many new businesses lining up to make OO models.

Now, one of those doing this 'hoovering up' may be Oxfordrail. I hadn't gone back to look at their website since the launch announcement which was all a bit obscure, and not very interesting to someone like me. But a friend told me it's now a lot more informative, so I went for a look and he is right. Here's a whole new competitor with sound model trade experience, their own factory, and a plan to methodically grow the business. Exactly the same as the way Bachmann and Heljan carved themselves a chunk of the OO territory so successfully.

I feel a lot of folk here will like what they read on this site. If they execute this plan well - as in a flow of good products that becomes a well thought out range - we will be asking the site admin for a dedicated 'Oxfordrail' section in just a few years time.

http://www.oxfordrail.com/

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:21 pm

It's certainly very promising indeed, an H class would follow the Radial rather well I reckon ;) I wonder when they'll announce their next product, I can't wait already!.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 am

See what the owner says about his announcements: only going to announce once cutting metal for the tooling of the model has begun. (None of what I think of as 'Dapolising': announce 'everything', then make very little of it several years later while steadily adding yet more to the release list. That's getting very tired.)

There's more than a suspicion that Oxfordrail did bring forward this announcement having realised that Hornby were going to announce the same prototype. It was probably going to be a Q1 2015 launch originally.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Bigmet wrote:See what the owner says about his announcements: only going to announce once cutting metal for the tooling of the model has begun. (None of what I think of as 'Dapolising': announce 'everything', then make very little of it several years later while steadily adding yet more to the release list. That's getting very tired.)

There's more than a suspicion that Oxfordrail did bring forward this announcement having realised that Hornby were going to announce the same prototype. It was probably going to be a Q1 2015 launch originally.

But if they have started on the tooling then he is keeping to his word. Reading the comments of Model Rails Chris Leigh on another forum it seems that Hornby were unknown and not one of the three alleged manufacturers that were being hinted at, at a guess the three were Oxford, Kernow and Austrains/Britrains; the latter of which seems to have gone very quite on what if anything they are realising and who the as yet unspecified retailer is.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Mike, I didn't mean to imply that Oxfordrail hadn't started on tooling, just that I believe the announcement was advanced a little over their original plans. I am really interested in their declared intent to build a range, and not just cherry-picking of locos. That immediately advances them as a worthwhile outfit if they bring it off, and their track record with other model making helps their credibility.

That Hornby had this model subject in development was strongly suspected, Kernow also, and the Austrain/Britrain initial announcement that this would be the follow on model to the pair of MR outside frame 0-6-0 types All that tallies with rumours circulating a few months back that were up to four parties looking at the Radial tank. Hopefully that's all shaken out now, and we'll only see two of them - at most. Plenty of other pretty little tank engine subjects chaps.

The Austrain/Britrain thing has gone very quiet. Could it be that there was a little confusion leading to the information accidentally getting out ahead of plan in Australia? With the recent surge in OO announcements (I think we are looking at about 58 distinct types of locos, most never made previously, and only a few duplicated, and then there's rolling stock too from B & H) they might do better to wait for some clear water where there's a chance of their launch getting heard on its own merits, rather than be greeted with 'oh, not another manufacturer...'.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 pm

Bigmet wrote:
ParkeNd wrote:More loco manufacturers can only be good for the customer... just three in OO is not far short of a monopoly...

When does a RTR loco manufacturer count as a RTR loco manufacturer? There's three in OO, Hornby, Bachmann and Heljan, and then six more, Dapol, Murphy's, Golden Age, ViTrains, Realtrack, OO Works which are all active; and then there's DJM, Rapido, Oxford Anglo-Aus partnership that has still to reveal its trading name, all with announcements but no product to show in OO as yet...

(And to update that list, replacing the greyed out 'drop outs': Hattons, Kernow, Model Rail, Olivias, Rails of Sheffield, SLW, have joined Rapido and Oxford with OO loco product on sale, while Accurascale and KRM have announcements but no product on sale yet.)
ParkeNd wrote:8 of the manufacturers you mention are insignificant. Just maths in support of an argument. In practical terms only Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby, and to an extent Heljan who I had forgotten before, have the market all to themselves in OO...That's virtually a monopoly IMHO.

Not so insignificant now are they? And now we are up to a baker's dozen of insignificances!The longer established players may still be dominant, but Hornby have acted to defend their position against DJM/Hattons, Dapol, Dapol/RoS and Revolution, while Bachmann have got properly upset over one of Hattons' loco product choices, and Heljan are now duplicating key items in Bachmann's range: no more comfortable monopolisation of the market by the largest two. And little David (Oxford) is now in the driving seat at Goliath (Hornby). How things have changed.

In a few years time we may look back on this as the crest of the wave. All is very uncertain both within China, and concerning the state of future trade with the West. There's no twitchiness on open view yet, but it is a fair bet that several are feeling a cold draught, while Hornby are busy shooting off Rockets over their Prairie.

And what of Oxford Rail? Was it purposed as an instrument to enable Lyndon Davies to leverage himself into a position of influence at Hornby? And if so did it succeed faster than anticipated? It's all gone very quiet at Oxford Rail, as compared to the quick fire of its emergence.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”