Hattons/DJModels 00 Gauge 60xx GWR King

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
PeterH

Hattons/DJModels 00 Gauge 60xx GWR King

Postby PeterH » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Good afternoon all.

Hattons and DJModels are collaborating on a new model of the ever popular and powerful 60xx GWR King Class.

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/30942 ... dlist.aspx

By the sounds of it this will be a highly detailed model 'setting new standards for a ready-to-run locomotive'. They are priced at £169 with delivery expected Late 2015 / Early 2016.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

sir hayden

Re: Hattons/DJModels 00 Gauge 60xx GWR King

Postby sir hayden » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Planning to pre-order either No. 6024 as preserved on No. 6000 in GWR 1920's Garter Crest Livery *with bell*.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:25 am

I want to see some product first! He's built up a big list of announcements in a short time.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 am

That's a good point! - I thought it was interesting they have not opted to go with Heljan after thier last special edition

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:38 am

Seems Hornby will beat him to it judging by the teaser CAD pics on their Facebook page

Cheers

Jim

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 am

alex3410 wrote:That's a good point! - I thought it was interesting they have not opted to go with Heljan after their last special edition

Hattons developing their supplier options perhaps? They have had three generally well received commissions delivered by Heljan, one from Dapol while DJ worked there. Nothing like keeping your suppliers aware that they have competition, and having multiple potential sources of supply.

Hattons is a fair sized business, and the shortfall in supplies of product to sell must have hurt. They wouldn't have started secondhand trading on a whim, that's a move to maintain the business while there isn't enough new product. Another possibility that I have thought about. If you were looking for any suspects among existing UK model businesses to acquire the ViTrains agency from HobbyCo, it would be Hattons top of my list.

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Well it seems they're also making No. 6000 in 1971 Condition aswell.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Jim S-W wrote:Seems Hornby will beat him to it judging by the teaser CAD pics on their Facebook page

Monday again tomorrow :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/officialhornby/posts/10152302079515843

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:10 pm

I have been following the Hattons King development for an overseas friend, and just picked up that it is now running significantly late. Like April 2017 at the earliest, and they haven't even begun to cut metal on it yet so that date is optimistic in my eyes too. Having seen the new Hornby King operating and already told him it's a good match for the Castle and 28xx, I wonder if he will have the patience to wait for the competitor? I suspect it will be the Hornby in his wife's suitcase whenever it is she flies out to join him later this year.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Any danger of seeing any DJ Models in the flesh or are they all a work of fiction ?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:28 am

The King isn't actually a DJM model though, it's designed by Dave Mylett at Hattons. and they are running the project: Hattons have engaged DJM as the manufacturing partner, for the King and the 14xx which they expect to release before year end. The Kernow commission of the LSWR O2 is the one newly tooled item available from DJM.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:07 am

I'm aware of the extent of Hattons' involvement in the King but whether something is or isn't a DJM product seems to vary depending on whether he's soliciting praise for it or having to defend cock-ups. DJ's involvement in the FTG Models SPA seems to have consisted of arranging for someone to put them on a boat but he still picked up the manufacturer's vote for it in another site's Model of the Year* poll. Not that that will surprise anyone familiar with that particular site.

I suspect the 'shared components' requiring further work are the geared drivetrains and sloppy coupling rods, I can't see what else they share other than green paint.

(*For the avoidance of doubt, absolutely not the similar poll run by the very well respected Model Rail team.)
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:11 pm

It doesn't really help that each time there's an update on a product a new thread is started rather than adding to the existing ones. One way of making it difficult to track just how long things are taking I wonder? The j94 was announced as early as 2013 if not previous to that with promises of raised standards and no long lead times. To be fair things have changed a lot in China in those 3 years but many at the time thought the release program was over optimistic and history has, unfortunately, proven them right. It's now reaching the point where any are wondering if anything will actually appear at all that isn't a commission. What we have seen so far hasn't really set the world on fire regarding the better standards sadly.

Hattons should really have pulled the King as soon as it became clear that hornby were way ahead of them and focused on just the 14xx (much as kernow should have pulled the 71) but they didn't and only now is the King 'on hold' due to what is quite frankly the flimsiest of excuses.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:37 pm

TBPH I'm getting a whiff of cold feet over the King. I've said from the off that it had a good chance of ending up like the LMS diesels, in terms of duplicated models splitting a finite market - and in the case of the King, it's not just a two way split, you also have to wonder just how many owners of existing Lima or Hornby Kings will actually upgrade. Even if it does appear, I'll be very surprised if some if the proposed variations don't get canned.

Looking at a wider perspective, I'm still marvelling at how many DJM-related announcements have, with the passage of time, turned out to be something that somebody else was already working on.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:57 am

Pennine MC wrote:... duplicated models splitting a finite market ...

And Hattons know all about that from their past venture on the LMS twins - but of course they sold both so presumable made money on both! - and now have as full a picture as any retailer of what the market for the King is like: by all of the competitor sales and their own s/h activity, and preorders for their own and the competitor.

A decision to not proceed immediately exploiting existing design investment (money spent) argues very strongly that they have done the calculation for what yields the best net return for the business, and at this time it's selling Hornby Kings; and focussing on getting their own model with no direct newly tooled competitor in sight on sale.

(I think there is urgency there too: while the Hattons 14xx looks to have the field to itself, there are several other smaller tank models recently introduced with further announced models to follow, all with their own attractions for the 'eye-candy' market. )

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”