Airfix 4f, running nightmare!

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Airfix 4f, running nightmare!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:08 pm

markS&D wrote:Further investigation, seems to show that the wheel wobble is actually causing the rear wheel on the left side, to lift off the track slightly. This seems to be causing the loco to lose electrical contact on points, and slightly uneven sections of track.

if track is uneven, as my one was, have you cosidered using underlay if this is a problem for more than just this engine. when i started using it it greatly improved the running. those who say it isn't very accurate should bear in mind that if you buy that you are actually interested in moving rolling stock regularly, rather than one engine with one truck every hour. rant about non moving layouts over :mrgreen:
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

markS&D

Re: Airfix 4f, running nightmare!

Postby markS&D » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Its Fixed Folks!!

The problem was caused by the quartering being out on 1 wheel, this was causing the wheels to do a kind of 'flicking motion' as they were running, lifting 1 or more wheels off the track, hence a loss of electric pickup. especially on pointwork.

I have managed to reset the quatering of the loco wheels, and now the loco runs really well, and no longer randomly stops. Courtesy of a friend, I also managed to aquire a full 'tender' from a newer damaged tender drive 'Hornby 2p', so I have now replaced the older Airfix tender with a much newer unit, so the loco now runs a lot quieter and smoother :D

Thanks for all the replies.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”