Mainline Class 45s

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
whynot

Mainline Class 45s

Postby whynot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Still trying to get my head around which/what model locos date from when and are any "good" (running rather than in terms of detail). For example, were any Mainline models any "good"? Specifically the Class 45s?

Thanks.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Mike Parkes

Re: Mainline Class 45s

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:35 pm

They were reasonable for the mid to late 1970s when they were first released but mechanically have been left far behind. If you are after a 45 then a new Bachmann one is the way to go. Just make certain its one of the latest ones with the horizontal panel joint correctly shown across the top section of the nose. If cost is an issue then its far better to have one good performing loco than a number of iffy ones.

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:42 am

Thanks for that. Cost is an issue but while performance is important, appearance/accuracy of model is much less so!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm

On much the same lines as the reply from Mike Parkes, avoid the Mainline model then, never the best mechanism and most are going to be over 30 years old, and these things don't improve with age.

All the Bachmann models have their near 'bombproof' centre motor chassis which is very reliable and pulls very well indeed. The older model (with the bufferbeams incorrectly moulded as part of the body) is fairly high geared and can manage a scale 400mph, before throwing itself off the track on a curve. If you can find one second hand it should be cheap as it is far less accurate then the new version, and the new version can be got for well under £60, Hattons have one up for £48 (in BR lumpen-blue admittedly) which strikes me as a steal. http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=23514 Check other retailers like Rails and Signalbox, as they are also likely to have less popular versions on offer at good prices.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:24 am

Bigmet wrote:On much the same lines as the reply from Mike Parkes, avoid the Mainline model then, never the best mechanism and most are going to be over 30 years old, and these things don't improve with age.

All the Bachmann models have their near 'bombproof' centre motor chassis which is very reliable and pulls very well indeed. The older model (with the bufferbeams incorrectly moulded as part of the body) is fairly high geared and can manage a scale 400mph, before throwing itself off the track on a curve. If you can find one second hand it should be cheap as it is far less accurate then the new version, and the new version can be got for well under £60, Hattons have one up for £48 (in BR lumpen-blue admittedly) which strikes me as a steal. http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=23514 Check other retailers like Rails and Signalbox, as they are also likely to have less popular versions on offer at good prices.

Hattons also has one in green with small yellow panels AND DCC on-board for UKP55! I've seen both on sale on other places but (as is frequently the case) Hattons appears to be the cheapest.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Bigmet wrote:On much the same lines as the reply from Mike Parkes, avoid the Mainline model then, never the best mechanism and most are going to be over 30 years old, and these things don't improve with age.

The Mainline, Replica & early Bachmann Class 45's locomotives aren't as bad as you make them out to be.
I've twelve of them and out of the twelve, eight are good runners, the other four have the common fault of split gears or missing traction tyres.
A couple of them have been fitted with the Bachmann 36-553 3function decoder and run very well despite having traction tyres fitted.
I have one of them fitted with a second motor plus extra weight for haulage, the two motors work through a single Lenz Silver Plus decoder rather than two decoders, it has good slow speed control and can out haul a modern Bachmann 45/46 anyday.

The link you supplied shows a Bachmann Class 44, not a Class 45. Here's the correct link; http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=32716

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

rogerabbit

Postby rogerabbit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 am

I too have a bunch of Mainline locos and love them to bits! Really can't afford modern Bachmann and Hornby prices. Find the detail on Mainline models extremely good and can easily be improved - too good in some ways because areas around the valve gear and pistons can be very fragile on some of them so handle with care. They're noisy but personally I like the "Mainline Chatter" so despised by many enthusiasts. Its a cheerful kind of sound and it could be argued that it's more realistic that the silent hum of modern counterparts. But I'm sure this is one of my many peculiarities. I pay £20-30 on average, avoid clapped out examples, go for little-used models which have been stored, clean them, give them a light oil and off they go. Not one has let me down. Airfix also good, Dapol seem to be dearer. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the superb quality of Bachmann models. If I had the money I'd be in the market for them. And previous reviewers are right to point out the age of Mainline models and the common faults of heavily used locos. But a decent example can be fantastic value for money for those of us who like lots of locos but are on a tight budget.

seasprite

Postby seasprite » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

They also tend to derail too easily once the motors 'warmed up'

Postby 47164 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi, I have one which is probally deemed as ''Clapped-out'' , ie runs but has virtually no power or speed, is it that the magnet has most likely reached the end of the road ?
If that is the case has anyone any experiance of having the magnet re-magnitzed (perharps by some one such as scalespeed who do a surperb job with Wrenn/Dublo units) or is best to bite the bullett and just buy a replacement loco (after seeing a test run).

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:36 pm

47164 wrote:Hi, I have one which is probally deemed as ''Clapped-out'' , ie runs but has virtually no power or speed, is it that the magnet has most likely reached the end of the road ?
If that is the case has anyone any experiance of having the magnet re-magnitzed (perharps by some one such as scalespeed who do a surperb job with Wrenn/Dublo units) or is best to bite the bullett and just buy a replacement loco (after seeing a test run).

Why not just replace your old motor with a brand new motor for £8.95 ?
Replica Railways still sell the old Mainline motor that will fit the Mainline, Replica & early Bachmann Class 45/46 locos.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for info on the motor.
http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/spares ... ies/spares

K9-70

Postby 47164 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Many thanks for that, most appreciated, what a Gem and quite a little goldmine ,they have kept that very quiet and away from the press !!

:D

Postby 47164 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Sterling service, new power unit recieved , and installed ... I had forgotten what a pain they are to get into the chassis frame , but they are so cheap compared with Black Beetles .

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Bought one of these dirt cheap (yes, I know they need to be :P ) at a local swap meet.

My problem isn't so much the mechanism (I know it's dodgy but it will pull three-four car trains which is all my current layout can fit) but derailments. The lead axle in each direction (the small one) has a mind of its own on some of my more complex track formations, and heads off down the diverging line, pulling the rest of the train with it.

Any thoughts on how to stop this? A bit of weight on the axles?

Also, the traction tyres are pretty worn (I get great wheelspin on a sudden start! :shock: ). Why does it only have them on one side? What's the availability of replacements? Is it feasible to replace the wheels with non-traction tyre versions? (I was thinking of going to steel on steel, and adding some weight to the power bogie to get the traction back up.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:25 pm

ngresley wrote:Bought one of these dirt cheap (yes, I know they need to be :P ) at a local swap meet.

My problem isn't so much the mechanism (I know it's dodgy but it will pull three-four car trains which is all my current layout can fit) but derailments. The lead axle in each direction (the small one) has a mind of its own on some of my more complex track formations, and heads off down the diverging line, pulling the rest of the train with it.

Any thoughts on how to stop this? A bit of weight on the axles?

Check the B to B and set to 14.5mm if needed. Tighten the bogie screw but not too tight that the front bogie won't turn freely. Just enough to allow it to move freely from side to side without sticking.

Also, the traction tyres are pretty worn (I get great wheelspin on a sudden start! :shock: ). Why does it only have them on one side? What's the availability of replacements? Is it feasible to replace the wheels with non-traction tyre versions? (I was thinking of going to steel on steel, and adding some weight to the power bogie to get the traction back up.

Not sure why Mainline/Replica choose to have the traction tyres on the same side, though the Class 45 should handle 5 or more coaches without slipping. My Mainline Class 45 when new, hauled 15 coaches without any problems. If you can pick up a early Bachmann Class 45, these have the traction tyres on both wheels on the same axle, these are much better hauling larger loads than the earlier Mainline/Replica Class 45's.

K9-70

trolleyed

Postby trolleyed » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:55 pm

I've just acquired one of these Mainline Class 45's from a friend - runs quite well on straight - bends not so well
I've noticed however that it only has 2 axles per bogey. There looks to be space for a third axle (to make it CO-CO like I think it's supposed to be) but these are missing. Does anyone know of a source for a replacement axle?
Thanks for your help

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”