PECO Code 75 trackwork Question

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Northants PC

PECO Code 75 trackwork Question

Post by Northants PC »

Not sure whether this is the correct section, please feel free to relocate it should it be required.

Im thinking about changing over from PECO OO scale Code 100 track to PECO OO Scale Code 75 track. But I want to use my Bachmann locomotives and rolling stock without messing about regauging or converting the wheelsets.
Are there any issues with using standard Bachmann and Hornby wheelsets on Code 75 track?

I'm looking into using the new concrete sleep points, which have swung it for me, subject to the above of course.

Regards.

Northants PC
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: PECO Code 75 trackwork Question

Post by Eastern »

I moved from Hornby Code 100 to peco Code 75 - so far I have had no problems with more modern Hornby Battle of Brtain and Merchant Navy locos. I also chipped a Lima Class 55 Deltic and that runs ok. Bachmann wagons run well as do Hornby Mk 1s - The only issue was Lima coaches, but a quick 'Dremel' on the flanges soon sorted that out! IMHO I would think that older stock would be affected as the flanges would ride up on the 'chairs'. As suggested by others, perhaps buy a length of Peco 75 flexi-track and a point and check to see if it works!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
Northants PC

Post by Northants PC »

Cheers mate, Im using new Bachmann stock and Hornby class 60's so going by what you say there should be no problems.

Thanks for the assistance.

Northants PC - Marc.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

This is just my experience, so take the suggestions as things you need to test for yourself. With the current RTR from Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby, a really high level of reliability can be had using Peco's Streamline systems.

But there is a list of things that have to be got right.

Check that all the wheels are appropriately gauged, (I do still find slightly off wheelsets, usually undergauge).
All the couplers have to be set at matching height. (Ideally from one maker only in any given group of vehicles you plan to couple together. Droopiness, mispositioning and inappropriate coupler mounts can be found in all the makers ranges).
All vehicles free rolling, all powered items smooth runners down to a slow crawl
Smooth and stable trackbase structure.
The largest minimum radius possible. Thirty inch radius on plain track is a good minimum to shoot for.
Use the medium and large radius points. The small radius points, curved points and double slip; if to be used then under this caution: OK to pull trains through, not completely reliable when pushing full size trains through. Good example of the need to test with the longest trains you plan.
If there are gradients, long transitions on straight track only, and keep the gradient as gentle as possible. No steeper than 1 in 40 on straight track, 1 in 120 on curves.
Operate the trains at linear approximations to the scale maximum speed the real thing ran at, with gentle starts and stops.