Kernow D600 Warship

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Pennine MC

Re: Kernow-Dapol D600 Warship

Postby Pennine MC » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:06 pm

D605Eagle wrote:I can't imagine there's any mileage in the Hattons King.

Ah well, again don't look on Rmweb for anything definitive. I think it would be kindest to say there are a lot of mixed messages being given out.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Following the NRM announcement of the Sturrock tender option being dropped from the Stirling single to be produced by Rapido, the project for the prototype HST - also with Rapido as partner - is now suspended. Looking too risky in the present commercial climate would be 'short form' for the reason given.

Reality is beginning to bite for the smaller demand / niche / boutique models that will not sell in many thousands over each of several years. It would be unreasonable to expect these to be the last such announcements. I can see this playing well for the two businesses that are actively in the hunt to bring to market better RTR OO track ranges, as this is of UK manufacture...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 pm

And the Hattons/DJM King project is stopped. Hattons are leaving it for DJM to develop independently for general sale. Very likely not going to happen at all is my guess.

This is reality biting, what looked very practical not so long ago is getting squeezed by the rising costs in China, and the fall in Sterling.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:44 pm

It's taken a while, but I fear the bonanza of completely new "minority" models we have been enjoying is coming to an end for the time being at least. The D600 warship should really have got off the bench by now though. Shame but I fear we may never see it.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Metadyneman wrote:It's taken a while, but I fear the bonanza of completely new "minority" models we have been enjoying is coming to an end for the time being at least..

i don't think it's quite over, but I do think it will be the preserve of those with the established resources - in terms of research, manufacturing capability, credibility and, quite simply, money - to bring product to market reasonably quickly. Heljan started the dinosaur diesel phenomenon with Falcon and I think they'll prove to be the future barometer

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon May 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Some of the self-appointed sages and fanboys on Rmweb are stating quite categorically now that this model will be here 'in a few months', and browbeating anyone who dares suggest otherwise. There's nothing at all definite from either the commissioner or the manufacturer, mind.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon May 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Thats RM web for you. Model railways do attract some.... how shall we say this..... rather unpleasant individuals and they seem to congregate around the RM pool in large numbers. I guess we are fortunate that there are much more pleasant alternatives!

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 01, 2017 4:40 pm

One of the people on rmweb stating when this model will be out basically attacked someone for daring to suggest different. Adding why doesn't he ask kernow

Well I did. Their response was that they are always amazed that people give out information on thier behalf, especially when they have never even heard of these people! :lol:

Jim

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

The funny thing is they get attacked for suggesting different, as in no way a few months, more like a year minimum, and then the attack at them is for suggesting unrealistic timescales! OOOOOOH the irony!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 pm

We live in "interesting" times. Commissioning a model to be made half a world away means that the timeline from first spec to shipping the model is disjointed. There are pauses in the process awaiting approval before moving on to the next stage, if something isn't right/acceptable it can lose the slot for the next stage. Changes to the exchange rate are now almost unpredictable and if they are too big then there's a need for further negotiations. No wonder the commissioning company doesn't want to comment, or commit to a date. In this case Dapol have just removed some of their own proposals from the schedules, what this means for outside commisions depends very much on the outcome of discussion. It could be to Kernow's advantage, but as they always say, it all depends!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Some running EP models in the UK now so shouldn't be too long before they are in full production. Can't wait to get my hands on a couple of these. Total extravagance but sometimes you have to push the boat out!

Campaigner

Postby Campaigner » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Almost a year on, has anyone seen one yet?

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Reading this, I think DJM has been ditched and Kernow are going it alone?
We announced this model back in 2010 but after virtually no progress was made with the previous supplier we awarded the contract to DJModels in August 2014. The project effectively started from scratch from this date, albeit with research already well-advanced. Further problems resulted in us working directly with the factory from April 2018, since when progress has been swift and we have reached livery sample stage.

Can't be far off now I would guess.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 pm

This thread needs to redeploy minus 'Dapol' from the title into the 'Other manufacturers' section as Kernow are going it alone with the factory, having first departed from Dapol and more recently DJM.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 am

If its running qualities are as good as the Bulleid diesel I recently purchased it will be a great model to run and definitely on my "to obtain" list
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”