Kernow D600 Warship

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
D605Eagle

Re: Kernow-Dapol D600 Warship

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:14 pm

There is a good reason behind that to do with the westerns, but on here isn't the place to say it. If you want to know, PM me.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:10 pm

There's been information circulating for a while about trading of development and production slots between the manufacturing ops and their various end customers. Quite whose information you place most reliance on is all a matter of judgement. Having worked in a very different sector outsourcing both manufacture and support, I would incline to the thought that 80% of the information is likely to be seriously flawed. You need to be an insider to sift out the truth from 'the rest'...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 pm

well thats just it... :wink:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:26 am

Which is all a bit messy and certainly not good for the trade surely?
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

the weston guy

Postby the weston guy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Well I've put my order in. Whatever the time it takes for them i'm sure it will be superb!

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:04 pm

the weston guy wrote:Well I've put my order in. Whatever the time it takes for them i'm sure it will be superb!

Nah.. won't be Superb......Probably Ark Royal I reckon :lol: :lol: .................... ok :| .............. I'll get my coat!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Wow, so many years have gone by, and finally Kernows have made an announcement on this model. Supposedly Dapol had done nothing at all about making this so Kernows have transferred production to DJ models. The price will now be £169.95, which I suppose is what you would expect for an exclusive model nowadays. If you have a preorder and pay up now you get a tenner knocked off.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:31 pm

son of triangman wrote:There are rummours and mutterings that Hornby have bought Dapol, so this may have a bearing on the lateness of some models. I stress only rummours and mutterings nothing definate.

I would have thought it was more likely to be the other way around due to the large Hornby debts?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Given the source and the age of the post I wouldn't let it worry you.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:22 pm

7 years LOL!!!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:52 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Wow, so many years have gone by ... If you have a preorder and pay up now you get a tenner knocked off.

Originally announced in spring 2008 to be available in the first half of 2010!

I see the £10 price reduction on pre-orders as Kernow's probe to assess if there is still sufficient interest out there looking to buy these. My guess, sometime later this year we'll see a message from Kernow starting "Unfortunately..."; because generally rising prices are forcing many of the potential buyers to think very hard about where they will allocate their spend

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 pm

They claim its to save on getting a business lone to pay for it....However they have stated that the tooling was authorised in November 2016 so who knows? DJ do have a lot of projects on the go right now so how much longer it will take if it goes ahead I just cannot guess at.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am

It was that explanation of avoiding a commercial loan that immediately said to me 'no confidence in the project's viability'. Cutting the tooling is well known to be the point at which significant money is spent on the project: I'd seriously doubt that work would start on that without confidence in having the cash available to pay for it.

The question then becomes, will it obtain circa one thousand 'advance purchases' to make this project happen?

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:15 pm

D605Eagle wrote:... Supposedly Dapol had done nothing at all about making this so Kernows have transferred production to DJ models. .

So the story goes, but does anybody ever look past this glib assertion? To use his own words (or as near to them as I can recall), Dave Jones was the 'chief and only designer' during his time at Dapol - a large part of which was during the period of this models' gestation. A nice little circular conundrum there.

Bigmet wrote:It was that explanation of avoiding a commercial loan that immediately said to me 'no confidence in the project's viability'. ..

Must admit that was my first thought also; in effect what they're doing now is a form (another one...) of crowdfunding. But at what point will they decide whether to pull the trigger or not? Will they still investigate conventional funding if the amount of cash-up-front doesn't materialise in time?

The other odd thing is that I've known about this for three weeks, yet as far as I know it's only been broached in Kernow's newsletter; there has been no mention whatsoever on Rmweb. Maybe they're just too busy with other things right now; like taking bets on whether this or the Hattons 'King' will be the first to get canned...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:46 pm

I can't imagine there's any mileage in the Hattons King. As far as I'm aware the new Hornby model is very good, yet its not exactly been a huge sales success going by how often its discounted on Hornby's own online shop. Compare the Peckett, that sold out in a few days. I would say the D600 has the potential of selling in large enough quantities, but its getting dangerously expensive to sell enough to make it viable.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”