Kernow D600 Warship

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bufferstop

Re: Kernow D600 Warship

Post by Bufferstop »

Dapol's name removed from the heading, at least for new posts. The revised title seems to be applied to any post being edited, I'm not going through opening and closing posts just to change it.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Thanks for moving it John. I wouldn't worry about the headings.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Seen some owner photographs, and compared to what photos I have these look good. The difficult 'sad eyes' cab front windows with very slim pillars look bob on to me, and body side profile is well represented; then there's the nicely visible spoked wheels which were NBL's distinctive thing. Those who knew the class better will have to do the detailed assessment, but the model is unmistakeably representative of the prototype, which is always a good start ...

Another feather in Kernow's cap, to add to the news of their expansion, new shop to open in Guildford. And the model:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/ ... umber-D604
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Still waiting on mine arriving. I noticed that they have correctly modelled the non driven center wheel a smaller diameter that the driven ones. Nice touch I thought.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Are they illuminated?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

DonB wrote:...As far as I can see from the parts diagram included, the models also have a built-in speaker.
Interesting, does the information with the model include the speaker resistance for decoder matching?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Thanks, that makes sense, since sound decoders typically come with a speaker. (I guess there are sound fitted versions of this model coming?)

The pictures and commentary that have been posted on line by various owners are distinctly favourable. Some examples of 'Cossack' with nameplates slightly off level, (but it is easy to pop them off and reset) the only problem. Kernow onto another winner there...
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I must say I'm super impressed with the model as a whole, it looks exactly like the prototype and runs great too. However for the price, I do think the added detail is of rather poor quality. Compare the pipework to those that come with the latest Bachmann 40, or Hornby 87 for example. They are more like the quality of pipes you got with early Heljan diesel model. Then there's the discs....OMG what a nightmare there are! 0 out of 10 for them. Very poor indeed.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Seems like I may have dodged a bullet by ordering the head code box version! No fiddly discs. Looking forward to it now.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote:I must say I'm super impressed with the model as a whole, it looks exactly like the prototype and runs great too. However for the price, I do think the added detail is of rather poor quality. Compare the pipework to those that come with the latest Bachmann 40, or Hornby 87 for example. They are more like the quality of pipes you got with early Heljan diesel model. Then there's the discs....OMG what a nightmare there are! 0 out of 10 for them. Very poor indeed.
I would be inclined to sit and think about these user fitted parts, to see if there is a better way. Meantime hoping that someone devises an improvement, or maybe even produces or locates/suggests some superior aftermarket alternatives.

It's a strange aspect of superior models, that small details matter more. I was initially somewhat disappointed by the Bachmann Cravens DMU (class 105) which is and remains a fine model, because Bachmann did not provide a close coupling mechanism which ISTM is such a natural feature for what are permanently coupled sets. (Hasn't stopped me buying half a dozen sets mind, and consequent on not having a close coupling mech they now have screw links and are next going to get bellows gangways.)
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

The second batch have now arrived at Kernow Model Centre and are being dispatched on a "date order was paid" basis. Hopefully my D600 in BR blue will be winging its way to my railway soon.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

My D600 has arrived but I've encountered severe problems with it on DCC. There are reports in the "other" forum of problems with the loco grinding to a halt after a short while running under load on DCC and mine is no exception. Kernow are recommending the use of the Dapol Imperium 1 decoder in it but reports from the "other" forum seem to indicate that Loksound 5 decoders are having problems coping with the coreless motor. I have so far used a ESU Lokpilot, A Bachmann 36-557 (basically another lokpilot) a Lenz silver and a Laisdcc decoder in mine and they all produce the same fault although the laisdcc lasted a lot longer before the loco ground to a halt. No harm seems to have come to either the loco or the decoder but the loco just "shuts down" after 10 minutes or so of constant running under load. I'm in communication with Kernow models about the problem and will report back when/if I hear more. I haven't replicated the problem under DC yet but at least one person has reported the fault running theirs on DC.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Ths shut down problem is nothing to do with DCC, but with some kind of overload protection that is installed on the model. This kicks in only when the loco is asked to pull a significant load for something like ten minutes or more (so many owners will never see the problem!). It seems this problem didn't affect the first batch of D600s released. Hopefully Kernow will be able to identify what has changed. (It could be as simple as the second batch getting bigger helpings of slightly stiffer grease in the drive trains...)

Whatever, this is one for the memory box. Four or five years from now, there will be posts like this:

"I just bought a Kernow D600, it's so clean and unmarked I don't think the first owner ever had it out of the box. While it looks perfect it cuts out afer running for ten minutes, but if I leave it a while it starts running normally again, goes for ten minutes and cuts out..."
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's either something mechanical, making the motor work too hard, or something wrong with the overload protection, my money's on the mechanicals.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Just as a mad thought; could it be the motor bearings? I've had new motors run OK but get hot. Lubricating the bearings made them not only run better but not get hot.

Naturally check the instructions first, it could damage the motor!
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?