Triang

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
montyburns1982

Triang

Postby montyburns1982 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 pm

I've been asked to value some old Triang stuff that belongs to my partners father. What kind of prices do the tender steam locomotives and class 108 DMUs fetch without boxes? There are also some old coaches, level crossing, breakdown crane and some freight wagons.

Is there a demand for this old stuff?
"The greatest fear is not that we set our goals too high, but that we set our goals too low and reach them" - Michelangelo

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: Triang

Postby 0121modeller » Mon May 10, 2010 1:17 am

The value of each item depends on item condition, its age & if items have original boxes, or a combination of these factors.
If an item is "as new condition" with its original box, & its very old then they could be extremely valuable.
You say these items have'nt any boxes, so that reduces the value of an item, sometimes regardless of its condition.

As you've not shown photo's of the items we cannot give you any sort of idea as to wether they're the older triang or not.
The class "108" as you said, would be a class 101, possibly a "triang/hornby" , although they stopped producing these i think in the 70's, but remained popular as quite often I would see used examples at swapmeets, etc untill the early 90's.

I'm really not sure of the other items & i'm certainly no expert, even if I were to see them.

montyburns1982 wrote:Is there a demand for this old stuff?

Best bet is to search on ebay for similar items that you have, typing into search words such as; triang , model railways , collectables, etc. then keep a watch on these items that are similar yours as to give you an idea of what price they typically sell for & how fierce the bidding is on these sort of things.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon May 10, 2010 9:34 am

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OO/ind3.html

This site has a fairly full listing with pictures of what was produced, just in case you have any identity questions.

There is a small collector interest, but prices are pretty low for all but acknowledged rarities, and as always 'mint in original box' is what is really wanted. Triang was produced in huge quantities by the standards of current demand, there's a lot of used second hand about. Did you see the James May 'Top toys' prog made about five years ago, where he went to a toy auction and acquired among other things a complete boxed Triang 'car transporter' set? That went for a bit less than £200 if I remember rightly. That is one of the more desireable sets so I am told, because it is difficult to find one with all the cars. The group that covers this best is probably the Train Collector's Society. http://www.traincollectors.org.uk/
Last edited by Bigmet on Mon May 10, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poliss

Postby poliss » Mon May 10, 2010 12:48 pm

If you go to the Hornby Railways Collector Guide and then click on the model you have, you will see at the bottom current bid prices on Ebay. e.g. HORNBY R239 LMS CLASS 4P 2-6-4 LOCO BR BLACK 42363 VGBC current bid £13.05.
Website http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 am

The market for Tri-ang is still quite bouyant, demand is still fairly high with collectors, there is a big following for the vintage models. Condition as has been said is everything as a rule, however rarity also plays it's part. If you want the current market values send me a PM with a list of the models you have and I will send you the current values. Tell what the condition of each items is like, damage, boxes etc.

chris6166

Postby chris6166 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Suggest not to get carried away, I have bought a few lately for my 8 yr old to play with

2P BR black = £25, similar SDJR more like £45
L1 BR green = £25, father bought this to make chassis into a Prince of Wales
Ivatt 2MT black = £16
B12 black = £20
3MTT green = £30 (my dad bought this but I would have paid £25 max)
3F, Jinty (3Ftank) less than £20
Some like the Princess always looked wrong to me, a very early model, the 3F chassis is good to go under kit built 4F etc.
Flying Scotsman A3, loads about, £25 again

Triang some coaches are still quite nice with metal wheels esp BR mark 1, some earlier ones are not very prototypical, I have a few non corridor generic coaches but they look dated. I doubt collectors interested unless utterly mint boxed and rare. At the time in the 60's they were much cheaper than rival Dublo but where Triang got it right was tension lock couplings and two rail from the outset plus good prices and starter train sets.

Wagons not much either, few of these are really nice, I have 250 Wrenn 100 Dublo and NO Triang which says it all, the cattle wagon was not bad and some later ones OK but again if you search Ebay you'll find they do not fetch big prices.

If you have any Wrenn........give me an e mail!

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:28 am

Where they mint boxed undamaged items Chris? Values are dependant on condition and whether the model has it's box or not. Mint boxed items fetch more even if there are dozens of the models about because people used to throw the boxes.

Sealed items in original polyseal untouched since they left the factory fetch a lot more and have a market all of their own

Current prices based on current market, Ramsay's guides and Train Fair prices for mint clean undamaged items in good boxes complete,

Hornby(Not Tri-ang but using the old Tri-ang L1 body) 2p(1973-1975) £45 mint boxed
Tri-ang L1 BR Green £70 Mint boxed
Hornby Ivatt 2MT BR Green £40 Mint Boxed
Tri-ang B12 Black values dependant on model R150S £35 Mint Boxed R150NS £50 Mint Boxed
Tri-ang BR 3MT Green £55 Mint Boxed
Tri-ang Jinty values dependant on model first issue with british Railways on side tanks worth £150 Mint Boxed, normal models without smoke £35 Mint Boxed
Tri-ang Hornby Flying Scotsman A3 dependant on livery and model LNER A3 £35 mint boxed, BR non corridor tender A3 Red nameplate £45, BR non corridor tender A3 Black nameplate £40 BR A3 with Corridor tender rare £45 mint boxed

Condition is everything and models in lesser condition without boxes, steps broken, worn out etc will be worth a lot less.

Mint sealed items untouched
will attract much higher prices
for instance
Tri-ang-Hornby LNER A3 still sealed in it's box with outer sleeve in good condition £130
Hornby 2p(old model) still sealed in it's inner tray with good upper and lower box £105
These are of course exceptions to the rule as such items are very rare and sedlom come up for sale to the general market.

Mint boxed Wrenn of course fetches silly money and some models are very rare, rarer models tend to be worth more even unboxed.

EBay cannot be used as a guide to pricing as it doesn't reflect Ramsay's gudies and the toy and train fairs. Ebay is an online fleamarket in a way, and like msot auctions it all depends on the way what someone is willing to pay for something and who many people are bidding so values on EBay are unpreditcable and unreliable as a rule. Note I say as a rule.

This linky will take you to a site where values for first rate Tri-ang can be seen.
http://www.cbtoys.co.uk/showtoys_f.asp?collection=58

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 am

son of triangman wrote:Mint boxed Wrenn of course fetches silly money and some models are very rare, rarer models tend to be worth more even unboxed.

Tell me about it. I wanted a Dublo/Wrenn Pullman brake second to convert into a BB Driving Brake. Got one from Locoshed for £13 after him and me taking most of his shop apart to find it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

chris6166

Postby chris6166 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:28 pm

OK I totally agree mint boxed as new is worth more, even so there was a huge amount of Triang made and prices reflect this, my prices are based on buying recent runners often in albeit battered boxes, so if these were used models then that is what to expect, we do not have such information in the post above and I simply caution that high prices are not going to afflict 40 year old Triang items.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I see where you are coming from Chris, yes indeed used items in tatty or worn boxes will be worth a lot less and there are more worn and tatty than mint and perfect items about.

IF condition is mint then high prices do affect mint Tri-ang as a rule, there is a very bouyant collectors market for it. Lesser condition Tri-ang models as you say are worth somewhat less money and I carn't see that changing anytime soon. Collectors generally want things close to or as they left the factory 40+ years ago.

Exceptions are rare items which tend to fetch good money even in unboxed used condition.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:28 pm

son of triangman wrote:Collectors generally want things close to or as they left the factory 40+ years ago.

Exceptions are rare items which tend to fetch good money even in unboxed used condition.

1968 RS51 Freightmaster set still sealed in the box

1973 R357 Brush Type 2 A1A-A1A Diesel (bought from your Pop)

Both still sealed in their boxes, though the polywrap covering on the RS51 Freightmaster set has started to tear at the corners.
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:04 am

Nice collection there K9-70 love those brand new 40+ year old 31's.

Here's some B12's from the collection, both sealed unused.

Tri-ang-Hornby A3 R.855 Flying Scotsman, Hornby 0-4-0 limited edition 1973-1975 tank loco with factory number on tank sides "Nellie" moulding, Tri-ang Hornby Lord of The Isles

A stack of mint sealed early 1970's Hornby

there are others including M7's, hymek, class 37, class 31, dock shuters, GWR Pannier, Blue Pullman etc.

Another LOI, very rare in the short lived temporary white packing.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”