As exotic as it gets, EE Gas Turbine 3

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
D605Eagle

Re: As exotic as it gets, EE Gas Turbine 3

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:34 am

Chops wrote:That really is a project among projects. Truly an engaging piece, but a bit large for my little roundy-round. I hope for its great success. I hope, and interesting side note, the Union Pacific, always interested in larger and larger power, developed a gas turbine between 1952 and 1961. The exhaust went out the roof, and there is a story that the unit once parked under a highway overpass for a period of time, at idle. The heat from the exhaust melted the asphalt, rendering the road unusable!

They used a fuel I forget the name of that was effectively a waste product and cost virtually nothing. It was the development of cracking that gave it a valuer and rendered the gas turbines too expensive to run. Have any survived?

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 am

I found a reference to one in preservation as of 2008. How the word "gas," the slang for "petrol" got into usage I'll never know. Per the article it used
a fuel known as "Bunker C," which to my understanding is slightly better than sludge. The Bunker C was replaced by an even worse byproduct, but it was even cheaper, except that it corroded the turbines with the amount of dirt in it, one supposes.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:40 pm

I've often wondered that. I believe many moons ago Diesel used to be called gas oil, or was that parafin? (kerosene)

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”