Oxford's latest Dean Goods

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigglesof266

Re: Oxford's latest Dean Goods

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks for sharing and the rational assessment of the status quo Tony. Enjoyed both.

Reference certain manufacturer decisions. Can't say I'm enamoured of them given their far less enthusiastic compromise when it comes to pricing.

Case in point the latest SR Maunsell dining 1st era 3 lining, or lack thereof and subsequent ambiguious answer proffered upon enquiry (per info supplied by a poster in that other forum), neither injury or ursury softened through any elaboration by way of explanation.

Disappointingly, it is what it appears. Penny pinching on tooling.

I'll pass, acknowledging they'll have no problem selling out such is pent up demand. :roll:

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:30 am

Dad-1 wrote:I note that GWR_fan has never had an OR locomotive and is basing all his comments on second-hand information from individuals he doesn't know and is therefore unable to do anything other than repeat what's been written.

You've identified the why Geoff. Returns or warranty aren't facilitated inexpensively or quickly, nor the latter readily and easily obtained even if we were to buy locally.

IME, we as in Tim and I shopping from afar, tend to use discrimination to qualify the info by source and author. From experience I know who has high crediblity, or less so to gauge the fundamental truth and qualify facts of a matter. Having determined them, we triage, and in the era of You Tube vids, multiple written reviews, hands on first hand experience forum posts and endless images elsewhere, it hardly amounts to sight unseen and tends to a more circumspect decision than buyer excitment further fuelling push-sell in a model shop visit.

Although I occasionally risk a punt, lengthy precedent proves researching others' reported experience works, once an issue or problem is known and promulgated. Certainly a heck of a lot more relible than any pre-ordering based upon any brand's promotional blurb.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:09 am

Keiron,
I did take a punt with the dining cars, both SR olive and BR (S) liveries and my first impression was very bland. The attraction of the 1930's olive green is the ornate lining, however as war approached the lining was not reapplied and the very bland unlined olive is all that is left. One cannot guarantee a lined green dining car will be released so I opted for the unlined while it is available.

Look to the very nice Dapol LMS era 3 lined 68 ft dining car. This is a very attractive livery not released by Hornby and apparently not in great quantities by Dapol. In days of old one purchased a Dapol dining car complete with ornate lining, full sole bar chassis plus an additional chassis with the wheel cutouts as seen on all Hornby releases. The current Hornby release is the same price as the lit K type Pullmans and yet has retained its plastic wheelsets along with the ugly cutouts in the sills. A couple of years ago I picked up many of the original full sill chassis and retro fitted to my ugly Hornby models.

I also recently opted for two non-runner T9 locomotives (awaiting arrival) as firstly, I have travelled this road a few times and secondly, these days have sufficient brass motor mounts onhand to hopefully correct the running issues. With the Dean Goods the issues are varied. One can be fortunate and receive a satisfactorily running model or perhaps one with a short circuit under the cab or either dragging pickups or parasitic pickups that do not even make contact with the wheels. Add poor running qualities to the mix and the possible cause of a defect may not be found. The OR mechanism is as simple as it could be and yet fails.

Last year I looked at the returns process for an item received not as ordered from a major retailer. The process is quite simple apparently, except one has to organise the return process, pay the return postage cost (usually more than twice the initial cost paid to receive the item) , fill out customs forms, travel to the post office, then await the time interval until the store receives the item, processes the reason for return and then refunds the postage cost and sends either the replacement item or the correct as ordered item. The time interval could be around six to eight weeks plus being out of pocket for postage costs until refunded. The store will only refund basic shipping costs so should one elect a tracked method then the additional cost is borne by the purchaser. Any wonder that an international purchaser is wary when a new item is criticised numerous times.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 am

I have two or it might be three of the Hornby incarnation of the ex LMS 68' diners Tim. ×1 BR Maroon plus ×1 Carmine & Cream for sure, and I'd have to check the inventory but pretty sure I have x1 No. 238 in LMS lined Crimson Lake too. Of course I didn't pay anywhere near the silly money they're asking for them now though.

I've swapped all their plastic wheels for steel, but not modified the solebars. I very nearly purchased those old Dapol frames on eBay at the same time as you, but passed given the landed price and age of the frame mouldings. I agree the cutaways might be functional, but totally spoil the authentic outline if viewed static from '1/76 person' eye level. Running within the rake as seen from hand of God view, I don't notice it so much.

Been there with PITA returns to the UK. Many times I haven't when I should have and would have if within the UK. On the occasion I did, an already costly unpleasant experience turned unnecessarily ugly. I've still not forgotten the particular jerk at Hattons who was responsible, though fortunately decency by more rational heads within the company prevailed and they subsequently made good on their verbal promise, which fortunately I had seen to it on the initial phone call, I had had confirmed in writing.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 am

Keiron,
the fully lined LMS dining car version was car #"10440". The Hornby "238" is a bland version. Dapol also released a fully lined set of 57 ft coaches to match (era 2?). Odd that the fully lined cars were not re released.

I made the mistake of purchasing Hornby's first release of its blood and custard dining car. The livery was incorrect in that it had a roundel on the car side between the lettering. The roundel did not appear until the BR maroon version. Hornby sub sequentially released the car without the offending roundel but no apologies to those who wasted their money on the incorrect first release.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 am

You could always get the paints out. :) If it is a transfer they can normally be removed? Its not often one gets something extra for free!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 am

Dad-1 wrote:I note that GWR_fan has never had an OR locomotive and is basing all his comments
on second-hand information from individuals he doesn't know and is therefore unable
to do anything other than repeat what's been written.

Not that that's a bad idea particularly if you live halfway around the world. I would be
terrified to post a modern detailed locomotive on such a trek.

My view on the negative press is influenced by a visitor to Weymouth Exhibition last
October. He saw one of my Hornby 2-8-0 South Wales tank engines pulling 40+ wagons.
His response was that he'd wanted one, but read somewhere a reviewer stating that
they didn't have particularly good traction - His jaw fell when he saw what mine was
doing !! and wished he'd bought one - I hope he has now !
Mind you I've not pushed any of these locomotives beyond 57 wagons ...... yet.

Geoff T.

Surely it is wize to read more then one review? If one hears that a loco doesn't perform as well as expected (It could genuinely be that some of them didnt while most of them did) then isn't that what forums like this are for? So one can ask advice before one spends ones money? Models are at record prices these days so it is all the more important to modellers to know the models they are getting will work the way they expected, as many of us dont send models back if they are not. (I've never returned a model to a shop even if faulty. If I see an obvious flaw like with one trader a secondhand model was scratched along one side, and it was put in its box the good way round on purpose, I just dont but a second time from the shop I bought it from. If the shop owner was honest with me, then I buy from them again, though of late I've not had need to buy a lot of stuff).
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm

I feel that by far the better source of information is now online. This information is from a number of owners so they are looking at far more samples for a start, and covers a variety of experiences. It typically shakes out into one of three categories: Good, very little adverse comment; Minor problems (often with suggestions or methods for rectification); Significant problem, troubles which really should be returned for rectification. And it's not just when the model has been released, it goes on for years, detecting things like weak components, drives failing, mazak rot, plastic deteriorations, as models age. Vastly superior to any mag review.

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:14 am

I don't count rivets and will happily overlook small manufacturing compromises and even mistakes if a model gives a generally good impression of the prototype. When the Hornby Star came out it got a savage hammering from certain quarters (no doubt the same ones who've been condemning the Dean Goods) because of the moulded plastic handrail on the cab's trailing edge, but when my Star is running on my layout I really don't notice that, so I can easily live with it.

But the bright silver boiler handrail on the OR plain green Dean Goods really hits you in the eye. It looks pretty, but that's not the point. Whatever were OR thinking? The BR black one doesn't have it, nor even the Edwardian original release complete with elaborate lining and brass dome, so why put it on this version?
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”