Stirling single announced

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Stirling single announced

Postby Bigmet » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 am

Happily this loco ran in preservation one several occasions. So quite modern stock including a couple of BR mk1s are an applicable train.

Genuine contemporary GNR stock is strictly build it yourself from kits at present, we don't even have the GNR design concept stock that stayed in service to 1966, the KX service 'Quad Arts'.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Didn't Dublo do a quadart set in tinplate many moons ago? (not suggesting using these if they did!)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 08, 2018 7:59 pm

This one's going to cheat, the rear carrying wheels will be driven by a second gear set of an appropriate ratio making it a 4-2-2-0. As the engineer son of a proper engineer, a much better solution IMHO.
Happily this loco ran in preservation one several occasions

It did indeed, I bunked off school (on the pretext of visiting Aston CAT, now a UNI) so I could mosey along to Moor Street where it was on display along with Midland Compound 1000.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 13, 2018 7:34 pm

Mountain wrote:...They will need to make some suitable rolling stock to go with it...

Latest from the NRM Locomotion is that they are thinking about this aspect. I am going to suggest that the GNR's final six-wheel coaches would be perfect. These were the last generation of rigid frame passenger vehicles built for the GNR and ECML, before bogie passenger stock provision became general, but they lived on to practically the end of steam, still running in service to the end of the 1930s, and then much used as departmental stock, accounting for a good number of survivors extant to be measured up. So they are a 'fit' for not just the Stirling single, but also their Ivatt Atlantic, and all GNR and LNER steam designs that followed. Hope that this idea makes it to production.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:48 am

Rapido have confirmed that the batch of Stirling singles departed the factory very early in June and are afloat. So given the usual transit time and clearance of the container at the UK port, my expectation would be deliveries to begin in July. (The sample photo of the finished loco with this information looks delightful.)

Although the Oxford Rail N7 is much more important to me operationally (if forced to choose between them I'd take a pair of N7s) there is just a teeny bit of excitement here over the Stirling single, much as with the NRM's gorgeous EE DP1. These remain the only two models I have pre-ordered.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”