Oxford Rail N7

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Oxford Rail N7

Postby Bigmet » Mon May 14, 2018 9:50 pm

There are side elevation photos of livery samples in circulation now, and they look pretty good. There is one minor error on view on one version, but nothing to cause alarm, my feeling is that this is shaping up well. Strangely the pics are not yet available on Oxford's own site.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun May 20, 2018 12:21 am

Have you seen how far out the couplings are front and rear? You'd think Oxford would have made a bit of effort to make the bar more lined up with the buffers. These look so far out that the trick of shortening the NEM pockets isn't going to work.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 am

Indeed, but to my mind a trivial problem. If the usual shortening trick isn't going to do the job - and I share your opinion - then some other bodge will have to be implemented for a directly attached Kadee, as these are exclusively passenger locos for my purposes.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Kadee 17 probably - not that common to use on British stock due to it normally being too short because of the offset needed by the buffers.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu May 31, 2018 8:54 am

Some more pictures of the livery samples which are Oxford's, but so far not on their site, instead sent to a retailer. http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=248

Generally the good news continues. The Belpaire boiler GER and LNER liveried look tidy, though I cannot comment on the GER livery, just hope the research is correct. The LNER livery in all over black, no lining, is probably authentic. Although these locos were rated for red lining there were occasions when they were left unlined.

There's a little (possible damage?) on the round top BR liveried example, no whistle, and a safety valve not fully home. Definitely lacking a smokebox door number plate. There's also a redundant detail, it still has the rod and lever for operating the condensing mechanism which shouldn't be present since there are no condenser pipes, but that will pull off easily I should think. I'll want to measure it, but the chimney and dome both look too tall - they look to be correct for the Belpaire version, but those on the round tops had an altogether squatter appearance. So wait and see if Oxford correct this stuff or if it will be DIY.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:48 pm

The latest is that production is complete, so should be here for December. Hope that proves to be the case. Bring on the Swedey Met!

I would guess that some production samples will arrive by air for inspection and display at shows which should enable some opinions to be formed before they go on general sale.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:18 pm

I really hope that something was learned from the Dean Goods production run to hopefully allay any fears that QC may be a problem this time round. After the issues with the Radial and then the numerous problems with the Dean, the manufacturer might this time look a little closer at the assembly process.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:22 pm

The limited experience I have with Oxford locos, is the single Adams radial I fiddled with for a friend to move the motor out of sight (easy to do). The drive line was a good arrangement and with a 50:1 ratio slow running was admirable, and it had adequate maximum speed. A little adjustment to the carrying wheel springing and it pulled effectively. If the N7 is mechanically to this standard, I will be happy enough. An 0-6-2 is much easier than a 4-4-2 so I don't expect any traction trouble, and there's room for weight inside the large box of a body shell.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Some pictures of the finished product on RMweb taken at the Swansea show/ The loco does look truly magnificent, really captures the heavy ruggedness of the prototype. Reports say it is impressively heavy. The only issue I can see is the front coupling. It sticks out so far its just a joke. If it was a tender engine, I'd just remove it but tank engines need it really. Without actually seeing the model in the flesh I don't know how easy it will to modify one.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 pm

I will purchase just as early as possible, so you will get at least one account of the coupling 'adjustment' here. Mind you, my methods are fairly brutal and with no thought of effect on resale value. Got to have a coupler to do its work, and I don't care if it is nailed on. The chimney and dome are up for surgery too, as they are way too tall fro the BR period round tops that I need.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:49 pm

The tension lock they have used looks quite stretched so a tension lock of another make do the trick or for Kadees a no.17 looks odd on.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:50 pm

The end of the NEM pocket looks to me to be about parallel with the buffers. I'm with Bigmet, I'll do whatever is necessary to get the bar inline with the buffers. I'm not interested in resale.

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”