Model Rail propose J70 W&U Tram loco

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Model Rail propose J70 W&U Tram loco

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am

Not a year from it first being proposed, and EP samples are on show at Warley, and looking good. I have not ordered yet, but am beginning to feel it would be rude not to, as this is such a nice prototype. (I am quite prepared to incorporate a wholly ficititious tramway in my generally protoype faithful layout plan, to justify it too.)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:05 pm

GeraldH wrote:I've often thought that Hornby could produce a railroad version of the J70 to replace their awful overscale Toby. They could then have sold it as a better Toby, or as a budget J70...

I thought what you said was funny, as what you said was a bit like having a model of Donald Duck, and claiming it does not look like a real duck you can use for your model railway.
Awful over scale Toby? Hardly as it wonderfully captures the character in the book, and heads a train of troublesome trucks in a realistic manner... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is only over scale if you try to match it to a prototype based model of an actual J70, and not based on a Toby.
I found it amusing where someone was criticising the Hornby model of Percy saying the imported Bachmann model was a better scale representation. When your item is based on a character and not a prototype locomotive, your aim is to capture the character and not the realistic scale size and accurate scale dimensions, and in this, after seeing both Percy's, Hornby model wins each time, especially when the loco stalls, then suddenly comes to life at a flat out speed when one has turned up the controller! Just like Percy!!!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Bigmet wrote: (I am quite prepared to incorporate a wholly ficititious tramway in my generally protoype faithful layout plan, to justify it too.)

Apply with care, it can be so much fun that after a time anything is possible, totally fictitious 0-4-0 panier tank anyone?
two thirds of a pannier.jpg
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Long, long ago tried the alternative history thing (essentially what if it had been realised in the nineteenth century that all the dead end terminal stations of London were a silly idea, and a Grand, grand London central station serving all lines had been built) which makes possible practically anything you care to imagine in the way of through traffic and stock built for the purpose.

I am fully recovered from such mad schemes and very happy with a mostly accurate representation of a GN origin mainline now operated by BR(ER), so long as I keep taking the medication...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm

I settled on an alternate geography and history of the area SW of Birmingham with the Midland taking a different secondary route to for goods to avoid the Lickey, and the GWR making a different connecting route to it, resulting in a present day steam centre and preserved line.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 am

If anyone hasn't seen the first Engineering Prototype (EP) pictures, Model Rail have it on their site page covering this product. (Entering 'model rail tram' in a search engine will find the page.) The EP is for the first assessment of fits to indicate where adjustments may be necessary, so it is still far from a finished product: but does it look fine? Keep in mind how small it is, the length of a regular four wheel wagon. (One supporting comment: the rather crude chains on the sides are not representative of what will be fitted on the finished product.)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 am

The chains did stand out rather, as they were never very noticeable in photos of the real thing. I assume they were to hold up the side skirts to access the motion for servicing.
Getting an 0-6-0 chassis into such a small footprint sounds quite an achievement until you remember how much bigger than an N gauge 0-6-0 it is. I rather like the undecorated engineering proof, all shiny brass and nickel silver. The brother of a school friend was apprenticed to a Birmingham silversmith and he was always hugely impressed by such models, as the builders demonstrated the skills he had plus the discipline to produce straight lines and concentric circles to order.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 am

Does anyone know if these will be DCC ready?
There is one I fancy owning. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm

GeraldH wrote:I've often thought that Hornby could produce a railroad version of the J70 to replace their awful overscale Toby. They could then have sold it as a better Toby, or as a budget J70...

I hope my humour didnt spoil the day. I'm sure the forthcoming model will be a good one.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 pm

End2end wrote:Does anyone know if these will be DCC ready?
There is one I fancy owning. :)
Thanks
End2end

Says it is DCC ready and presumably enough space to fit sound?
http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/160/Project-J70
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:55 pm

The poop sheet has the line 'Provision for sound' so I imagine that a void for a suitable speaker is provided, along with space around the socket to take a sound decoder. You do know they were very quiet so as not to scare the horses...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I doubt there's a recording available to use as a reference, huffs, chuffs and hisses would have been kept to a minimum, the main thing you would have heard would be the wheels grinding across any inset tracks and the clank of loose coupled wagons.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Mountain wrote:

I hope my humour didnt spoil the day. I'm sure the forthcoming model will be a good one.

I'm a bit confused, but no offence taken :) .
Gerald H - alternative modeller :)

My layout: viewtopic.php?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 pm

I just saw the funny side in what you wrote and was concerned incase you thought I was being funny... Funny in a different way from funny... Umm. Confusing myself now... :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Apply with care, it can be so much fun that after a time anything is possible, totally fictitious 0-4-0 panier tank anyone?
two thirds of a pannier.jpg

Lovely loco. The only thing I'd do is to add a pair of pipes above the cylinders. (I know there was an 0-4-0PT made and I can't think if this had outside cylinders or not. (Not talking of the SHT dock locos which were absorbed by the GWR)).
Is your loco going to have a livery?

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”