Model Rail Announcement of Rapido's New Models!

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
kiwitram

Model Rail Announcement of Rapido's New Models!

Post by kiwitram »

Hello everyone!

I wasn't sure if anyone had seen this yet, but it's been announced in this month's Model Rail magazine that Rapido are producing two new useful prototypes;

16XX Hawksworth Pannier (unknown liveries as of yet).

LB&SCR E1 - including Stroudley's 'Improved Engine Green', LBSC Goods Green and Marsh Umber, plus Southern variants and BR liveries.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ent/page-5

I don't know any more at the moment, but if anyone finds out more, please fill in the gaps! Certainly, I'm looking forward to the E1, such a practical tank engine (at least for my purposes).

- Alex
Richard Lee

Re: Model Rail Announcement of Rapido's New Models!

Post by Richard Lee »

Sounds interesting for my 1930s SR branch line. I have an old Hornby E2 that I don't feel any great affection for; I would be happy to replace it for goods working when running in Central Division mode. It is green, and I strongly suspect that it would have been black in SR days. The chassis is a reasonably new Hornby Railroad 0-6-0 one which runs a lot better that the original, but still is not that good compared to the other locos. The body is noticeably not up to newer standards.

I will have to keep my eyes open about Rapido, to find out whether their models run okay, and to make sure that they don't do strange things such as use coreless motors.
kiwitram

Post by kiwitram »

Richard Lee wrote:Sounds interesting for my 1930s SR branch line. I have an old Hornby E2 that I don't feel any great affection for; I would be happy to replace it for goods working when running in Central Division mode. It is green, and I strongly suspect that it would have been black in SR days. The chassis is a reasonably new Hornby Railroad 0-6-0 one which runs a lot better that the original, but still is not that good compared to the other locos. The body is noticeably not up to newer standards.

I will have to keep my eyes open about Rapido, to find out whether their models run okay, and to make sure that they don't do strange things such as use coreless motors.

E2s were operated in SR black with green lining from around 1924 onwards; some of them (as with many locos) held onto their umber or LBSC goods black livery well into the twenties, possibly even the very early thirties. As far as I'm aware they never saw paasenger olive green. But yes, exciting times for all of us Southeastern and Central division Modellers! I've heard funny things, too, about Rapido but their locomotives all seem to work just fine, so hopefully there's nothing to be concerned about once we see the finished product in 2020.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Richard Lee wrote:...I will have to keep my eyes open about Rapido, to find out whether their models run okay, and to make sure that they don't do strange things such as use coreless motors.
I am anticipating my first Rapido model in a few weeks, in the form of the NRM Locomotion Stirling single production, and will post about that. It is going to get out and do some running and pulling of a trainload; I only buy models if they are to be operated, and surely want to see that eight foot driving wheel turning smoothly as it bowls along.

Quite tempted by the Model Rail J70 due to go on sale fairly soon, also produced by Rapido. Reported as to be fitted with a coreless motor, for compactness and sufficient weight while allowing the visible interior to be modelled: these really were very small, and the boiler barely more than a large tea urn. So long as it is done competently this shouldn't be a problem, but I am going to wait for user reports on this one as it isn't an essential for my operation...
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

Thanks to kiwitram for the information about the E2s. Much as I expected.

Thanks as well to Bigmet. I will look forward to hearing about your Stirling Single.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I am very excited for the 16xx, another loco that can be useful for my 00 gauge layout.
kiwitram

Post by kiwitram »

I'm glad to hear there's excitement about these new models; looks like Rapido could becoming a true contender in the 00 market. The Stirling Single did catch my attention but there was no way I could've afforded it at the time, and so I had to pass over it. Although it's one of my favourite classes I didn't think I could excuse it on the South Eastern Mainline!

Anyhow, the E1 numbers and liveries were released a while ago:

MR-401 97 - LBSCR Stroudley Improved Engine Green

MR-402 127 - LBSCR Stroudley Goods Green

MR-403 B96 - Marsh umber but with 'B' prefix as applied by SR

MR-404 2142 - SR black (pre-War)

MR-405 2606 - SR black, 'sunshine' lettering

MR-406 32151 - BR lined black, no emblem

MR-407 32113 - BR plain black, early emblem

MR-408 32689 - BR plain black, early emblem (weathered)

MR-409 W2 - SR (IoW) lined green

MR-410 W4 - BR (IoW) black, early emblem

And the 16xx:

1648 BR Black early

1627 BR Black early (weathered)

1646 BR Black early

1624 BR Black late

1636 BR Black late (weathered)

1638 GWR Green (as preserved)

Depending on what the eventual overall cost for the E1 is, and the pre-order price, I might put my name down for one (final year student loan and all that jazz), possibly even one of the all-new Dapol Terriers...
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

For clarity these are Model Rail commissions being made for them by Rapido rather than Rapido models for general sale. As such they will be cheaper to subscribers so it may be worth looking out for a cheap subscription if not already subscribing, mine works out well under half price a copy.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Well as of now, they are doing 22 examples.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Richard Lee wrote:...have to keep my eyes open about Rapido, to find out whether their models run okay, and to make sure that they don't do strange things such as use coreless motors.
On the evidence I have to date : one delightful Stirling Single, fitted with a coreless motor, I would have no qualms over Rapido. It looks both accurate and fabulous, runs and pulls beautifully. I'll be in for whatever they next make that suits my modelling interest.
Richard Lee

Post by Richard Lee »

Thanks for telling me about your Rapido Sterling Single, Bigmet. I am not that fond of coreless motors, but my layout can deal with them with care.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

My only experience of Rapido is the J70 Tram loco, also a Model Rail commission. The bodywork and detailing is exquisite, there's a wealth of bits to have the various windows and shutters posed as required. Without a continuous run I left it to auto shuttle the length of my line, which it did for thirty minutes, no problem. The mechanical arrangements are as good as anything I've seen despite their minute size. In the box, there was a CD style plastic case with a well written "Handbook" for the loco, ( a first I think, but worth others copying) and the whole thing was contained within a printed model specific sleeve. Which bits were down to Rapido and which to Model Rail I'm not sure, but the whole package made me feel I was getting value for my money, from people who cared about what they were producing.
Rapido's owners might like to play the clown, but their enthusiasm is on display for all to see. What a difference to the anonymous grey suits who stifled Hornby almost to the point of extinction.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions