What to paint the interior colours of Silver Jubilee Coaches

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Martin71

What to paint the interior colours of Silver Jubilee Coaches

Postby Martin71 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi Guys

I need some help here please. Can anyone give me an idea what colors to paint the seats, framework etc interior the silver jubilee coaches. It is currently blue and as the coach has nice big windows so you get a good view inside.

I'm adding lights also and people. Please see pics of 3rd class coach.

I also have a big space in the brake compartment that I can see into. What would have gone in here? Any ideas for this.

Lastly if anyone is interested I am converting the silver jubilee loco for lights, dcc sound and smoke generator. Let me know and I can put it up. This is a bit of what I have done to give you an idea.

Many thanks,

Martin

davidpk212

Postby davidpk212 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Luggage etc in the brake compartment - don't know about the colours.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 am

Thanks for that. I was considering painting it white and brown for wooden parts and a red/yellow for the seats.

Does anyone know where I can get interior coach kits.

Thanks

Martin

GHOSTFAN

Postby GHOSTFAN » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:09 pm

As best as I can remember(will try to look it up for you),wooden veneers for panelling,take your pick,and moquette furnishings for seats and curtains so beige,pale brown and creams.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:16 am

Thanks very much can get on with it now.

Were the 1st class coaches a different colour or were they the same as the 3rd class?

Kind Regards

Martin

GHOSTFAN

Postby GHOSTFAN » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:29 pm

All the coach exteriors were silver grey.
Internally the upholstery was continued up the level of the bottom of the windows except for 3rd. class.
Sorry I haven't been able to find out the colours,I suggest you go to various L.N.E.R. sites and ask.Most people are only too happy to help.
The composition of the train was an A4 followed by a twin 3rd articulated set(BTK and TK),a restaurant triplet set(TO,RK and FO) and a twin articulated 1st. set(Semi 1st.Open and BFK).Because of high demand an extra 3rd class coach was added making up an eight coach formation.
I suspect Hornby don't provide all or indeed any of these so you will have to compromise...only rivet counters will know the difference and I take no notice of them,it's a hobby and supposed to be enjoyable.

rpjallan

Postby rpjallan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:32 pm

I would love to see more details on what you are doing with your loco...

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 am

Oh bugger

I started painting last night, painted dark chocolate for doors lighter brown for panelling cream/beige with gold trim for seats.

I do like the idea of silver grey as it is better for light. I will go to LNER sights now and have a look. Thanks for that.

Will keep you posted on the loco. I will stick up a video of it when I put in my loksound in and put it on the rolling road if you want.

Kind Regards

Martin

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:22 am

Martin

Hows the painting coming on?

I have finally sourced 3 additional Silver Jubilee coaches at a price I was prepared to pay. :D

Hope you have managed to extend your rake as well.

Bryan
No longer a member

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Bryan

Not to bad now, painting is going bit slow. I still have not found the correct colours so I went off what people told me here.

Glad to hear you got a good price for yours. Looks good as a six 6 rake. I am planning to build a 3 wheeled Dining car and a kitchen car from kits if it was used on the Jubilee. I'm sure about the dining just not the kitchen car. Can you help with that one? My other concern is matching the colours. We will see.

Here are some photos on the progress I have. The loco has a loksound decoder 2 leds on the front 1, on the tender and 2 tiny ones in the cab. The ones in the cab are the gull type about 1mm square with 8.5k resistance so a tiny glow.

The brake car painted , not much detail in there to paint. I have 1 of my 1st class cars painted a little brighter inside with silver and gray with also some of same colours as the brake car.
Problem is, as you can see from the photos once it is done you cant really see the interior unless you pick the coach up.

Suggest resistors 3.25k are put in insulation tape they can generate a lot of heat and silver foil on the roof before led's as when I tested the glow came through the roof. Foil also help to reflect light around.

4k resistor on brake light

I used phosphor bronze to link wires to wheels.

Will post some more shortly.

Enjoy.

Bryan Gundry

Postby Bryan Gundry » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:03 am

Martin

I do indeed enjoy.

I am much impressed with the inclusion of passengers.

I am not so sure if I will go to the trouble of putting in lights in my coaches but passengers having seen yours is a different thing.

Passengers seem to give life to the coach.

I will keep my eyes out for the information you are after.

In the meantime keep up the great work.

I am off up into the loft now to start on the station platforms

Bryan
No longer a member

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:19 am

Thanks Brian

I took this today thought you might like one, lights are on full just for visual effect normally about 1/4 this.

It may not have existed but it looks great in the evenings on low light.

Silver Jubilee Cab. 2k resistance

5k resistance, cab hand painted

Just a couple of questions Hornbys R4095 dining car, would this be a suitable dining car to respray grey/silver and add to the jubilee. If not what type would be suitable?

Does not have to be super prototypical, I read somewhere that it had a 3 wheeled dining car on the jubilee and I think this would look good with table lamps put in.

Kind Regards

Martin

Martin71

Silver Jubilee more info

Postby Martin71 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi
Can anyone clarify this I got it from Wikepida title Silver Jubilee Train

"The train was made in the year of King George V's 'Silver Jubilee', and was painted silver throughout. It was composed of two twin-set articulated coaches, and one triple-set; seven coaches in all."

GHOSTFAN provided info on make up but I cant find any pictures of articulated coaches (by this I assume he means they share the same bogie). I didnt think they had this back in 1935.

"The composition of the train was an A4 followed by a twin 3rd articulated set(BTK and TK),a restaurant triplet set(TO,RK and FO) and a twin articulated 1st. set(Semi 1st.Open and BFK).Because of high demand an extra 3rd class coach was added making up an eight coach formation."

Can someone explain the abbreviations please.

If I use the 3 coaches that come with the train pack 2 Hornby triple wheeled dining cars and the 3 coaches from the coach pack that will get me fairly close. Right?

Assuming this is the way to go anyone know the lettering for the dining cars colours etc. Had a look on the LNER site , no luck or pics of these articulated cars.

Wheres a good place to get transfers made?

Hope you experts can help.

Kind Regards

M

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Martin, There's a picture of 'Silver Link' leaving of Kings Cross pulling 'The Silver Jubilee' on the 27th of September 1935. You can just make out the signage on the carriages. It says 'THE SILVER JUBILEE' in uppercase. They appear to be Silver/White letters on Dark/Black background. (B/W photo). They also appear to be painted straight onto the roof just above the gutter strip. (They're curved like the roof). They're on each carriage, ie both sides of the articulation. You can find the photo in LNER Reflections, edited by Nigel Harris, Silver Link Publishing Ltd.
Hope this is of some help.........

Colin.

PS, I'd post it in the forum. But all this talk of copyright...... :shock:
edit:- I can't see any ridges across the roof. Á la LMS Stanier coaches, or ventilators on the first three carriages!!!!!!.....
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 am

Hi all

Finally got the answers and photos as well.

My my....... LNER had articulated coaches back in 1935 and they dont look 1/2 bad. Sorry to all for for being a dis-believer I just had to see it for myself.

As for the Hornby coaches someone should have a word with the guy who decided that these coaches were Jubilee Coaches. They look nothing like the real ones at all. In saying that I never picked it but I'm no expert at all and I still like them.

Anyway I will stick with my game plan to keep the 6 car set + the 2 triple dining cars. Finish them off and in the new year get 1 brass articulated coach kit from comet.

My main worry is I have never done a full brass kit before.

Just to get an idea here, do you think people would be interested in buying a Silver Jubilee fitted with a loksound 3.5, running lights, Fire box lights, smoke, tender and cab lights all 8 coaches fully lit + painted ,dining cars with table lights and a full compliment of painted passengers and in original boxs?

What would something like that be worth?????

Just a thought.

Kind Regards,

martin

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”