Hornby E2 0-6-0T

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Hornby E2 0-6-0T

Postby Bigmet » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:43 am

https://uk.hornby.com/products/secr-0-6 ... a-2-r30039

Apparently some have been waiting impatiently for this, the old tooling now 'de-Thomased'.

RFS

Re: Hornby E2 0-6-0T

Postby RFS » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:46 pm

But it has been lettered SECR instead of LBSCR. That's going to upset the purists.
Robert Smith

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:47 pm

It's cheap at c.£67 and it does have the extended side tanks but if the illustration is anything to go by, it looks horrible. And, as pointed out, why SECR when LB&SCR would have been far more appropriate.

If you really want one, buy an old Hornby model and upgrade it: a really easy project and one which breathed life into this originally damaged and non-working very old glossy umber LB&SCR model. The only real problem lies in the fact that it sits a mil or two too high and that is very difficult to rectify.

Total cost was £25.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:23 pm

RFS wrote:But it has been lettered SECR instead of LBSCR. That's going to upset the purists.

Well, 3 out of 5 letters correct = 60% - constitutes a solid mid-range pass mark in our examination system you see...
Lysander wrote:...If you really want one, buy an old Hornby model and upgrade it: a really easy project and one which breathed life into this originally damaged and non-working very old glossy umber LB&SCR model...

Very smart indeed.
Lysander wrote:... The only real problem lies in the fact that it sits a mil or two too high and that is very difficult to rectify...

I'd guess it needs to be overheight to clear the back end of the motor? If a Bachmann 0-6-0T mechanism was substituted (from a 57xx if the w/b is 15'6", or the 3F if a 16'6" is a better fit) it could sit lower: then a lot of careful razor sawing to correct the ogee curves to a shallower profile would enable the buffer beams to rise relative to the body. I am without a pre-group 0-6-0T from the Southern, and a neat 3F rated class is a tempting prospect to have taking a transfer freight across London ...

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:23 am

I agree with Lysander, but hopefully it's only the illustration that look horrible.
Pete.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:48 am

It's been de-Thomased as far as the livery and smokebox door are concerned, but it looks like the altered cab, safety valve and redundant splashers are still there. Shame they can't alter the tooling back, but I guess that would increase the price. As others have said it's better to get one of the pre-Thomas models and put the more modern Hornby chassis in it which has fully flanged wheels with 6 wheel pickup.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:15 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Lysander wrote:... The only real problem lies in the fact that it sits a mil or two too high and that is very difficult to rectify...

I'd guess it needs to be overheight to clear the back end of the motor? .

This overheight dimension is down to a compromise made by Triang when they finally got rid of the plastic split axle wheels on steel spindles. they adopted a buffer height which was 2mm too high for scale but allowed 12mm wheels with finer flanges to be used. Unless the loco design allows the top of the frames to be trimmed, you are stuck with it. If you come across an item of "Hornby" goods stock which doesn't suffer the problem that's because it was part of the Hornby Doublo range, which Triang bought out, gave the tooling to G&R Wrenn, who sold it to Dapol, Who sold it some to Mainline and also Hornby (post buyout), when they realised their range was twenty years behind the new boys.
Apart from putting it on underscale there's not a lot you can do about it..
They don't appear to be calling it "Railroad" but that is what it is, no attempt to correct the buffer height.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:26 am

Well, I am going to be scrouging around for an old body for sure, got a couple of suitable Bachmann mechanisms that can be tried, and some Bachmann wheels at 4'6", scale diameter for the E2. There shall be some razor sawing and cementing to significantly reduce the height of the ogee curves each end, as these are exaggerated, (look at the E2 pics on SREMG. https://sremg.org.uk/steam/e2_class.shtml )

Between these actions, pretty confident of getting the body correctly positioned for height, and if it looks half as good as 'Lysander's' polished up old body I shall be well pleased.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:20 pm

I have 4 of them. LBSCR umber, Southern olive green , plus 2 repaints,Southern war time black and finally BR black with a Railroad Jinty chassis.
I own a lot of older stock and so I'm quite forgiving about the various inaccuracies you get with old locos.
But now I've become aware of the various compromises Hornby made with this model, I can't unsee them.
This wasn't the 1st ready to run E2, Trix made one in the sixties in a weird scale somewhere between HO and OO.. There's also a Wills Finecast kit which has been around for decades..
I've seen various 3D printed loco bodies on eBay which can be fitted to ready to run chassis , maybe someone will produce a E2 body.
As for the SECR ex Thomas, It's one of the worst locos Hornby have every made.

Ken

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Ken Shabby wrote:...I've seen various 3D printed loco bodies on eBay which can be fitted to ready to run chassis , maybe someone will produce a E2 body...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UST92 ... arketplace

There's likely more, this was from a quick search.

SRman

Postby SRman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:15 am

I have an original LBSC version, and every so often I dig it out with a view to improving it, particularly with the previously mentioned ogee curves and over-height stance in mind. I also would like to replace the reduced flange/smaller centre wheels, although it runs well for the type of mechanism it has. It then gets put away again as being in the "too hard" basket.

20220630_101907_small.jpg

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”