Buildings and type

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Grumpstoot

Buildings and type

Postby Grumpstoot » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am

Hi im new to model railways and i am just creating my 1st set up i have several kit buildings station,village shop,church etc
The station is in red brick and the shop is in grey stone would this be an acceptable layout to have 2 colours of buildings on the layout?

End2end

Re: Buildings and type

Postby End2end » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:10 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Grumpstoot.
What your describing is what we call "Rule No.1" ... It's YOUR layout, do what YOU want. :D
Not many places are made with the same building materials depending on when they were built and by whom.

Railway buildings may all be built with the same materials as either the norm for the railway company (Southern concrete lineside huts for example) or again local materials.
Hope it helps ;)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:29 am

As a rule of thumb buildings up to 1850 ish used local materials where possible, after that it tended to depend on the builders and their usual suppliers. The difference of course being the arrival of the railways to move the supplies around. There would have been exceptions for important buildings and wealthy customers who could pay for overland and canal delivery. The GWR "standard" buildings were an example, you find station buildings built to the same plan in various local stones and colours of brick. Local building contractors were given a set of plans and left to source the materials where they could.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:49 am

All the above is true, and frankly there's a prototype for everything in the UK's built up areas. 'They' really did allow a small mainly twelfth century village church to have a huge 1960s reinforced concrete box bolted on its side, and a dual carriageway 'bypass' to be built through a medieval street pattern, so 'anything goes'. (My current favourite is heading South on the M25 from Essex to Kent, as you reach ground level there all about you is the profoundly unlovely post industrial wasteland of the Thames estuary south shore, and a sign reading 'Welcome to Kent. The garden of England'.)

But if you want the layout scene to look right in suggesting a particular location, then there is no substitute for observation of the scene and some care in replicating characteristic features. It all comes down to what appeals to you, just enjoy what pleases you best.

captrees

Postby captrees » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:59 am

Grumpstoot wrote:Hi im new to model railways and i am just creating my 1st set up i have several kit buildings station,village shop,church etc
The station is in red brick and the shop is in grey stone would this be an acceptable layout to have 2 colours of buildings on the layout?

Yes, it is whatever takes your fancy. I have an abundance of grey stone (Metcalfe) buildings, probably more than the area merits, except for farms, barns etc. However you can easily achieve the right balance you want. I have changed several buildings simply by pasting over stonework with red brick and vice versa. Metcalfe do sheets of various finishes, but really its cheaper and simpler to copy whatever you want of the internet, print it, and paste it on to your buildings. Even just stick white over them to replicate whitewash. In reality you may have more than 2 colours, but in the end its whatever makes you happy.

Grumpstoot

Postby Grumpstoot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks for your advice i might try your suggestions captrees some good ideas there

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 am

Grumpstoot, have you seen these? http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/

Free to download and print from the forum's very own Mike 'Wordsworth'. :)
Here's the forum thread for them.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29587&hilit=wordsworth

Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”