Good old Hornby!

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Peterm

Good old Hornby!

Postby Peterm » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 am

I received a Hornby N15 'Sir Sagramore' the other day. I haven't got a DCC system at the moment, but I fitted a Zimo MX616R decoder and away it went in the wrong direction! Not a huge problem as I'll be re wiring it to fit a sound decoder soon, hopefully. I can't see how difficult it seems to be to put the wires in the right way around. While I was at it, I dried out some of the oil that it was swimming in :roll: It seems to run OK on the short piece of track I have wired up to JMRI and Decoder Pro.
Having had a whinge, I'll say it certainly looks the part.
Pete.

Flashbang

Re: Good old Hornby!

Postby Flashbang » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:12 am

Don't suppose the decoder plug has been put in the wrong way around, assuming its an 8 pin plug?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:19 am

Thanks Geoff, but no. I used the multi meter and the red wire goes to the left hand wheels. It's not the first Hornby loco that has this problem. I reversed direction with decoder pro but when I've saved up I'll get a sound decoder and rewire it.
Pete.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Peterm wrote: It's not the first Hornby loco that has this problem.

In some of Hornby's designs where contact is made with the sides of the motor, simply putting it in wrong side up will reverse the connection. Easily done when there's little to show which way was up when you took it out!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:52 am

I bought a new old stock hornby Patriot DCC ready that did exactly the same thing. The had got the wires to the motor mixed up. Oddly that was swimming in oil too to the point that it had made a right mess of the polystyrene that it had been sitting in for years.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 pm

Mine must be new, old stock. Others must have had the same problems with these and other loco's.
Pete.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”