Hornby R6462 bogie tippler

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Ken Shabby

Hornby R6462 bogie tippler

Postby Ken Shabby » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:59 pm

My son is looking for modern image freight stock and I was thinking about getting a few of these.

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/imag ... ippler.jpg

I can see that they are very basic, but I have seen similar bogie tippler wagons on the national network. I was wondering If I did a quick repaint followed by some heavy weathering It would be enough to produce a reasonable representation of a wagon currently in use.
I've seen the Accurascale tippler wagons, but they are out of our budget.

Cheers, Ken

Mountain

Re: Hornby R6462 bogie tippler

Postby Mountain » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:50 pm

They are actually nice models. Someone used to have a whole rake of them when Lima used to make them and they were lovely smooth running models.
I also used to see the real thing in the Port Talbot area and they really look the part. I am going by memory here and I believe they were coupled in groups of four so buffers were at the outer ends of these groups? I may be mistaken and confusing them with Freightliners but I seem to remember these being the same. (Check prototype pictures). If so buffers on some wagons can easily be removed.

As one is looking to model a rake of them, I would not bother with any super detailed wagons because the number of wagons inthe rake is more noticeable when trains pass then the individual wagons themselves. The "Presence" of the wagons give a greater impression then the minute details, though adding handbrake wheels is a good plan if the prototypes have them because some details will stand out more.

What I will say is that these ex.Lima wagons are pretty good, as they do look the part. Consistency is more important, so mixing super detailed wagons with these may not work, but if the whole rake is like this, then it will work, and one can always add the odd more noticeable detail if needed.

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I've been searching for one of these Tipplers online , and they seem to be quite sort after and thin on the ground at the moment. I saw someone was trying to sell a boxed ARC wagon for around £30.00. on ebay.
The good news is , a search of real tippler wagons shows they often have quite simple liveries, heavy weathering and graffiti, so repainting should be reasonably easy. I was hoping to build up a short rake as a extra Birthday present for my son, but lt looks like he'll have to wait a bit.

Ken

spudfan

Postby spudfan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:02 pm

0-02-04-e491cadfa85ae7effa975513f40d41b8c3a3cea7e306367423be8eb108200e5b_cc3a05912ceb305d.jpg
0-02-04-b9ec6d28220429d42d4daacc0898fb546150272b0ee9bf513de0b085ebcb4cc9_80cb79a1afa6ac29.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:38 pm

Have you thought about making your own? If you made one example then this can be used to copy and form a mould so one could cast a whole rake of them out of resin?
While if one can buy them at the right price secondhand it is thr easiest way to get them, but making ones own is an option. The hardest part of the process is to make ones donor wagon first to use to make cast copies from. Officially one is not supposed to directly copy a manufacturers item though it can easily be done.... But making ones own model first out of plasticard or another material and using it to make others out of resin is an option. (The only main thing to remember if copying a plasticard or a plastic part is apart from doing it in sections to be glued together after, is that resin, plastic or plasticard floats, so if making moulds one has to stick the part to the bottom of a container so it stays there while casting a mould around it. Metal parts are ok as they will stay at the bottom which is where they normally need to be when making a mould).

Of course, 3D printing is a new way of making rakes of wagons. A bit out of my realm of knowledge but quite a few on here and on other sites I am on have had excellent results.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”