Hornby Smokebox Door Number Plates

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
21C1

Hornby Smokebox Door Number Plates

Postby 21C1 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:26 pm

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove these plates from the model. Are they an 'add on' or are they moulded. I know some of the older models are moulded integral with the door, but I dont know if the newer ones are. I would like to backdate some of the BR models to pre nationalisation appearance.

Thanks Tony.

Bigmet

Re: Hornby Smokebox Door Number Plates

Postby Bigmet » Mon May 31, 2021 10:56 pm

Moulded is usual - I don't have anything like all Hornby's models so there may be exceptions!

Are these models you already own, or is there the possibility that by hunting down pre-nationalisation examples you could get at least some without the numberplate?

As for removal, easy enough with practice. Sharp scalpel blade and a good light, (the present summer sunshine is ideal, I have a batch of Bachmann mk1 acquisitions to be de-ribbed imminently!) proceed slowly taking off very little and checking the profile from all angles very regularly. I prefer to do such work by dragging the blade over the surface to be removed rather than cutting, as far more precise control is obtained. It is usually necessary to remove nearby detail such as handrails, darts, lamp irons, smoke deflectors, to enable free access and good sighting for the work.

6C

Re: Hornby Smokebox Door Number Plates

Postby 6C » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:18 pm

Depends on the model - I know you can get replacement LNER A3 smokebox doors without the moulded plates - to mimic LNER days.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”