Paint Removal - Lima Mk.3s

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
DonB

Paint Removal - Lima Mk.3s

Postby DonB » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:58 am

I'm in the process of repainting quite a large batch of s/h Lima Mk.3s. All have paint issues, their condition ranging from minor to downright awful.

Now, I've tried the usual methods of paint removal (brake fluid, Dettol, Mr Muscle); while all will happily remove printed numbers, stripes, etc. the InterCity Executive Light Grey (or rather what Lima thinks is InterCity Executive Light Grey), will not budge.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

TIA,

DonB
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Mountain

Re: Paint Removal - Lima Mk.3s

Postby Mountain » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:28 am

Could the plastic be the colour of the paint? Lima did some common sense cost cutting. Their diesel locos were made from yellow plastic so they did not have to paint the ends of the loco. Could the livery be of that coloured plastic? It is just a thought.

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:59 am

Mountain,

They are moulded in dark grey plastic in what passes in Lima's eyes for InterCity Executive Dark Grey. The Light Grey is definitely paint; one can see the base plastic colour through it where it has been damaged.
Don

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:04 pm

If the paint sticks like the proverbial to a shovel then a thorough clean will be all that is required for the paint you apply to adhere.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Try neat meths. I've used it on several Lima items and it works on some Mainline paint finishes as well.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

DonB

Postby DonB » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks for the replies gents.

Not wishing to use what little meths I had remaining (after all, this was from a very good year - *hic*), I attacked the paint with IPA (no, not Indian Pale Ale).
After a good amount of rubbing with cotton buds and IPA-soaked kitchen roll, plus a toothbrush for the recessed detail, I now have six paint-free bodyshells.

The IPA will also remove paint from clear plastic without damaging it - I tried it with success on two very badly painted EFE buses.
Don

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”