starter set vs separates

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
meehow

starter set vs separates

Post by meehow »

I am wondering what is the most cost effective way to start with HO.
I am completely new. Actually all I have is 3 Jouef coaches :D
Logically, I will need: controller, power transformer, power connector to track and the track.
Looking at ebay:
controller £17
power transformer £12
power connector £9
so that's £38 to start with the hobby.

A basic starter set @ £50 contains all the above elements with the addition of a locomotive and 2 wagons.
I don't think, I could get a basic locomotive for £12?

Additionally, the starter set has oval track made of 8 curves and 2 straights.

I would then add some 4 meters of flexi track @ £20 and I am a happy train commander :P

Am I missing something?
Guidance much appreciated!
Ironduke

Re: starter set vs separates

Post by Ironduke »

meehow wrote:A basic starter set @ £50 contains all the above elements with the addition of a locomotive and 2 wagons.
What specific set are you looking at?
Regards
Rob
meehow

Post by meehow »

Ironduke wrote:
meehow wrote:A basic starter set @ £50 contains all the above elements with the addition of a locomotive and 2 wagons.
What specific set are you looking at?
the Christmas set. it is £43 delivered currently.
no contest, is it?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

If one is starting from scratch, a starter trainset is ideal as it not only works out cheaper then buying everything seperately, it also has everything one needs to make ones trains go.

BUT, there are drawbacks, and the main one is that the controllers normally lack power and are often not very nice to use, so at a later date, one usually changes the controller for a better one.

There is also the element of trainsets may have the loco and stock you want to collect, or may not have what you want to collect. In this way it can be hit and miss, because the manufacturers can only offer so many different sets.

I have not mentioned secondhand because secondhand usually is a similar senario as new. Manufacturers will offer better prices for complete sets. Admittedly the sets will have the more basic or budget controllers and stock in them though some sets are not so budget, but the manufacturers usually offer sets at cheaper prices then if the items were bought seperately because they want you to enter into the hobby and want you to enjoy without being frustrated in finding out you need something to make your trains go if complete sets were not available to buy.

Certain scales and gauges do not have train sets in because they usually attract modellers who have been in the hobby a while. The train set is aimed at helping modellers make a start, rather then aiming at those who are already in the hobby. (It is not to say that someone who has already been in the hobby a while won't buy a trainset. It is more that they are less likely to because they already have the basic elements, so they are more likely to go for a train set just to get the locomotive and its rolling stock rather then buy it to use the whole set, as the loco may have a different number or livery then the locos that are normally sold as seperate items.

But yes. Usually sets offer the easiest way into the hobby and usually the cheapest way to enter into the hobby.

The first upgrade from the set would be to get more track, and then maybe more rolling stock, an extra loco... But the largest leap forward which makes the most diference for most modellers is to buy a better controller, be it in DC or DCC form.

Two things I would buy after buying a trainset and some extra track is a track cleaning rubber and some spare rail joiners, then later, if one makes a layout, one will need track pins (Track pins are ittle nails designed to hold the track to the board) and things like that. Some people use glue instead. Copydex glue is good because it allows track to be lifted again if needed. Track pins can also allow for track to be lifted again. If using track pins, try not to hammer them in too hard.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

meehow wrote:...Am I missing something? Guidance much appreciated!
What you get in a starter set is very basic items which you will swiftly outgrow. But it will do what it says on the box, and at that price you can flog it before Christmas to someone else who wants a starter set; since you will by then be building your first all flexitrack layout with a couple of Trix/Roco/Bemo locos, and a Gaugemaster (or similar) DC controller or a DCC system to run it. Have fun!
meehow

Post by meehow »

Thank you guys!
Ordered the starter set and 6m of flexi track. But don't have any points so it will be a single loop for now.
I got a good deal (I think! £32) on a BACHMANN 60117 locomotive. It just arrived and the body is in mint condition. Sadly one hook is broken but then again, it does not match the hooks on my 3x Jouef coaches, so will need to replace both hooks, or perhaps the end hooks on the coaches?
Very excited.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Will you be thinking of using mainly H0 or mainly 00 (British)? Convert to the type of coupling that you will be using the most.

You can always have a wagon or a coach that has one type of coupling at one end and another type of coupling at the other end, so you can run both.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Older sources of advice may suggest that you will end up with a bundle of curved track that you, nor anyone else, particularly wants. They come from the days when running in was a pointless exercise, you would have worn out the mechanicals before there would be any improvement, well not quite!. One circle of second radius curves is very useful if you can't justify the purchase of a "rolling road" loco tester. Similarly the cheap and cheerful unrefined controller goes with it to allow the testing and running in of DC, or DCC ready, locos when your end to end layout is DCC. So assuming the loco and stock of your starter set is of a reasonable standard there's nothing that won't one day become useful again.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

meehow wrote:...
I got a good deal (I think! £32) on a BACHMANN 60117 locomotive. It just arrived and the body is in mint condition. Sadly one hook is broken but then again, it does not match the hooks on my 3x Jouef coaches, so will need to replace both hooks, or perhaps the end hooks on the coaches?...
I was misled by your reference to HO and the Joueff coaches - also likely to be HO - into thinking that your plans were for a mainland European railway.

But if you are going OO, then as already mentioned probably best to standardise on the 'miniature tension lock' coupler standard on UK models. (There are many alternative couplers, but that can wait.)

Now, your Bachmann A1 pacific 60117. Spare couplers are available, easily replaced so don't worry about that. Got it for £32, well that's a steal, especially as the body is in good condition. Test run it very cautiously on straight track at a slow speed initially; it should run smoothly with no hesitations, jerking or clicking noises. If that's all good, then try it around the curves at slow speed. A loco this size is 'on the limit' on second radius curves, and if it locks up turn the power off immediately, and look for where the rods have 'caught'. It's quite an ambitious model to start off with!