Hornby to produce L&M 0-4-2 'Lion' in 00

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Alexander Court

Hornby to produce L&M 0-4-2 'Lion' in 00

Post by Alexander Court »

Just seen this surprise announcement on facebook:

"We are pleased to confirm that we are working on a 'OO' gauge ready-to-run model of the Liverpool and Manchester #Railway 0-4-2 Lion, to complement the recently-introduced all-new 4mm scale model of Stephenson's #Rocket. (The model was originally due to be announced as part of our 2022 range).
Built in 1838, #Lion was ordered from Todd, Kitson and Laird of Leeds for use on goods traffic. It was subsequently rebuilt in 1841 with a longer boiler and remained in traffic with the London and North Western Railway until 1857. It was later sold to Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, while in the late 1920s it was handed over to the Liverpool Engineering Society for safe keeping. In 1953, Lion went on to achieve celebrity status in the classic movie, The Titfield #Thunderbolt, and was renamed Thunderbolt for its starring role.
Marketing and Product Development Director, Simon Kohler, explained: "After the success of #Rocket, Lion was most definitely on the list, especially given the public demand. We were intending to announce it later this year or early next..."
Prices, delivery timescales and the specification of the new 'OO' gauge #model will be confirmed in due course."

Hopefully they do a version as 'Thunderbolt', and hopefully it isn't more than £150 (ha ha ha)

Anyways I wonder if they were announcing because they were aware of other manufacturers planning this model?

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Buelligan

Re: Hornby to produce L&M 0-4-2 'Lion' in 00

Post by Buelligan »

I saw the announcement on facebook earlier. Thats another loco for me to save for!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

There are 'problems' associated with this subject, but there could be some upside...

Much of the interest is going to centre on the Thutfield Tinderblot association. That needs a 14xx and an ancient coach for a complete box set, and the Hornby 14xx is dire, and no model of the right coach. Might they just tool these too? (It would be no trick to make the 14xx with a gear coupled drive of the right ratio to the trailing axle, so that it is functionally a six coupled loco which will work very well, and it is about time...)
Alexander Court wrote:... I wonder if they were announcing because they were aware of other manufacturers planning this model?
Normally reliable sources suggest that Hornby got wind of a competitor looking at Lion, and so brought forward a planned 2022 range introduction.

There's a tall stack of 'alternative oldies' available as subjects, so if it was the case that a competitor is looking to enter this field, this might be good news for those that fancy early locos.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Bigmet wrote: Normally reliable sources suggest that Hornby got wind of a competitor looking at Lion, and so brought forward a planned 2022 range introduction.
Ah! https://www.facebook.com/RapidoTrainsUK ... 6203993577

Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023.
The range will feature a host of highly detailed new models of some of the favourite vehicles from the film alongside the historic liveries they wore outside the film.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Delighted to hear of this. I have long wondered if there was a market for more early steam. I could not be happier with the Hornby Rocket set, and will be standing in line for this one. :)
Nessie rocks!
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

flying scotsman123 wrote:
Bigmet wrote: Normally reliable sources suggest that Hornby got wind of a competitor looking at Lion, and so brought forward a planned 2022 range introduction.
Ah! https://www.facebook.com/RapidoTrainsUK ... 6203993577

Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023.
The range will feature a host of highly detailed new models of some of the favourite vehicles from the film alongside the historic liveries they wore outside the film.

I saw that! Brilliant! Though the April 1st date is slightly concerning for their announcement given the significance of that date. I really want a thunderbolt more than I want a Lion anyways.
Guess we will just have to wait and see.
Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

flying scotsman123 wrote: Rapido Trains are excited to announce we have signed the world-wide exclusive rights to manufacture a range of models to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the iconic film ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ in 2023.
Aha. Now might they offer a 14xx in that package? This would be interesting, in that Rapido have demonstrated a very good geared drive to the trailing wheels on the Stirling single to make it a competent hauler. Gear drive the trailing wheelset on the 14XX, and it effectively becomes an 0-6-0, reliable for traction.

Have to wait and see what the announcement on April 1st gives us in the way of details.