Is there a serial number on Hornby loco boxes?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Steamingon

Is there a serial number on Hornby loco boxes?

Postby Steamingon » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Is it on the back of the box on the right?
Last edited by Steamingon on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Re: Is there a serial number on Hornby loco boxes?

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 am

Not as far as I am aware of. Only the R number of the loco.

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 am

Mountain wrote:Not as far as I am aware of. Only the R number of the loco.

Thanks, I have spoken with Hornby today, they call it an 'Identity Number' or similar name & is on the right of the box, as I thought. It means the 'new' loco I received yesterday, that was supposed to replace a 'new' faulty loco I had sent back, was the same loco. Clearly not checked properly as it has the same fault. I will explain more later.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:45 am

I remember when CDs first came out I took one back, which they replaced, the replacement had a different fault as did the third. Then we git the original back, and I got to see where they kept them. Lets say they had swallowed "Tomorrows World, still plays if you cover them in jam" claim rather literally. Got my money back and went round the corner got one that was OK.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:57 am

Hornby's model railway product has never been serial numbered to the best of my knowledge. A serial number would have to be on the most permanent part(s) of the model - main castings or mouldings - to be of any practical value.

Bufferstop wrote:I remember when CDs first came out I took one back, which they replaced, the replacement had a different fault as did the third. Then we got the original back, and I got to see where they kept them...

Some record dealers never did master the paradigm shift from all vinyl recordings are intrinsically faulty, so operation on a 'who cares?' basis is fine; to all optical disc recordings should be perfect, so the customer can now detect your carelessness.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:09 pm

There is no Serial number of any Hornby boxes. The only number is the model ID number such as Rnnnn where n is a digit (can often have 3, 4 or 5 digits). If after the digits there is an X this denotes its DCC Fitted. If it has TTS after the digits then its DCC sound fitted with a TTS decoder.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:42 pm

If you are suspicious you could always do as the police recommend and use a UV pen to put your postcode on the bottom of the chassis.

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:34 pm

I ordered a NEW Hornby R3284TTS Flying Scotsman. It would not program in the number. Every time it was 8 red flashes. So I sent it back & another one (I hope) was sent & the same, it would not program. I sent it back & bought a third this time from Ebay. It was a new one & the same again, it will not program. I tried my other locos & they all program perfectly. I notice all the identity/serial numbers on all three of the boxes are the same, so either I have the same one three times or all Hornby R3284TTS have the same ident. Either way it is not a good sign from Hornby. This is the fifth faulty Hornby loco I have received in the last 6 weeks. Three Flying Scotsman with TTS sound. One Large Prairie & a Mallard TTS. From three different suppliers. I notice the last two Scotsmen had marks on the screws, thus probably already used. The Mallard chassis fell out of my hand leaving the frame in my hand, on inspection the retaining screw was not there, so it was probably a repair & they forgot to put the retaining screw back in. So I get the impression that suppliers are selling used or repaired locos as NEW???? Problem is they are not repaired, & their not new.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:13 pm

With so many locos from multiple sources having problems I'd be looking at my control system/power supply, mechanical faults that can be seen are down to the manufacturer or distributor, but DCC problems all over the place sounds very much like TTS decoders and your controller not being fully compatible with each other, or the controller having a problem.

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:49 pm

I have a Black Tank loco, a Shunter, my non sound Flying Scotsman, The Hogwarts express & Mallard all working fine on the set up. The large Prairie worked fine until it stopped. All were programmed OK. The Mallard I sent back with the missing screw programmed OK. It seems to be the Hornby R3284TTS Flying Scotsman that seem a problem.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”