Difference between Mallards..

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Steamingon

Difference between Mallards..

Post by Steamingon »

Other thank the model & colour, are there any major differences between these two Mallards. Hornby R3395TTS LNER & Hornby R3737 BR.

R3395 has dimentions of 10.2 x 6.1 x 36 cm; 550 Grams & R3737 BR has 36.2 x 11.2 x 5.8 cm; 620 Grams. Both are 00 gauge, why is the one bigger? Thanks for any help.
Bufferstop

Re: Difference between Mallards..

Post by Bufferstop »

The difference in weight is almost certainly due to the presence of the sound system in the TTS model, the difference in the other dimensions are small enough to be down to the way in which they were measured. Any attempt to measure on the surface of Mallards curves is going to increase the apparent size. The only truly repeatable measurement would be using a large pair of callipers to measure, overall length with tender gap closed up, height from rail level to highest point and width over the widest point. Doing it with a tape would be extremely variable.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

Thanks, but the sound one is the lighter (weight) loco.

Do they use the same motor? I can't quite see why the non sound one is more expensive.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The linear dimensions are for the packaging, and bear only some relation to the model inside, the box just has to be big enough for it fit.

The difference between the two models, reflected in the price:
The Railroad model uses older tooling, less accurate in many respects, lacking detail to keep the price low (no cab window glazing for example); no idea of the motor now used, not had one to look at for a good many years.
The main range model is from the tooling introduced in 2004, which is overall the best rendition of the difficult body shape yet seen in RTR OO, also provides for the three major tender variations, carries pretty much all the exterior detail practical in RTR OO; good mechanism with Hornby's 5 pole skew wound black can motor.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bachmann also make A4's. You might want to take a look at their range too. :idea:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

Thanks Bigmet.

Thanks End2end. I will take a look.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Steamingon wrote:Thanks, but the sound one is the lighter (weight) loco.
In which case they've cut away a chunk of the chassis to accommodate the TTS decoder.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Didn't Hornby refresh their model at some stage? Their class A4 origionated in 1979 and was tender drive with a Ringfield motor.
I would imagine the railroad ones with TTS are most likely to have come from this design.
I seem to remember Hornby making a more modern revamped model or am I mistaken?
Bachmann came out with a lovely A4 but it was a pain to convert to DCC having a split chassis and no room for a decoder, but I would imagine they would have altered the design since then.
Doesn't Dapol now make a class A4?

Of course, there are also the lovely Hornby Dublo and Wrenn examples.

All the above mentioned are in 00 gauge.

Graham Farish did an A4 in N gauge but they seemed prone to wobble. I do not know if they still make them since Bachmann took them over.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Hornby's A4 was retooled on a loco-drive chassis around 2004. The Railroad version (and 'Spencer' from the TTTE range) are a hybrid of either the old body or a simplified verson of the new one, the old ex-Ringfield tender, and the loco drive chassis from the retool with slightly more robust valvegear.

The Bachmann A4 is the ex-Trix model and i don't believe it has ever been retooled. The Dapol model has a diecast body and is nearly three times the price of the main range Hornby one.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote:Bachmann also make A4's. You might want to take a look at their range too...
Current model has the same body mouldings as Bachmann's earlier split chassis versions.. To make sure of getting the current production, it should have a DCC decoder socket. It does have a better rendition of the chassis than the Hornby, such that I have occasionally thought of trying this mechanism in the current Hornby body.
Mountain wrote:...Doesn't Dapol now make a class A4?...
That's a good question. Their 'Black Label' A4 production appears to have been a limited edition, and not a word since about any further releases.

I am waiting to see if Hornby move to add a metal bodied A4 to their range...
CasperGriswoldBacon

Post by CasperGriswoldBacon »

stuartp wrote:Hornby's A4 was retooled on a loco-drive chassis around 2004. The Railroad version (and 'Spencer' from the TTTE range) are a hybrid of either the old body or a simplified verson of the new one, the old ex-Ringfield tender, and the loco drive chassis from the retool with slightly more robust valvegear.

The Bachmann A4 is the ex-Trix model and i don't believe it has ever been retooled. The Dapol model has a diecast body and is nearly three times the price of the main range Hornby one.

Really?! As the proud owner of an old trix A4 I never knew that. Must be near the oldest if not the oldest tooling still going I would have thought.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:
stuartp wrote:HThe Bachmann A4 is the ex-Trix model and i don't believe it has ever been retooled. ...
As the proud owner of an old trix A4 I never knew that. Must be near the oldest if not the oldest tooling still going I would have thought.
The Trix LNER pacifics were the class act of their day in RTR OO for appearance, and a good tooling remains one, if it is carefully maintained. The Trix A4 body shell even gives some impression of the roll under of the valance following the cylinder underside, a feature that Hornby are just introducing now. (Had the Trix A3 body tooling survived in usable condition, I should think Bachmann might have had that in the range as well...)
CasperGriswoldBacon

Post by CasperGriswoldBacon »

Oh I've always liked the Trix's. In fact I nearly bought an A2 a while back on impulse. Just never knew the A4 was accurate enough to still be acceptable. 50 odd years later.