Super 4 insulated rail joiners

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
timgray

Super 4 insulated rail joiners

Postby timgray » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:56 pm

Evening all.
I am needing to use 2 insulated rail joiners for my super 4 layout, are there any off the shelf ones suitable for this old track.
I bought a set off ebay and they are way too small.
Is there a better DIY option available to me?
I did wonder if there is a way of stopping the flow of voltage across the points fairly easily. These old points seem to this quite regularly when you don't want them to.
The reason i would like to do this a bit complicated in that I have an oval track with a passing section, this will be a station later. Off the passing section are a number of sidings and I cant leave a loco in the passing section and run another round the main track as they will both start to move and if the points are set wrong can end up with 3 or 4 locos moving instead of one.
I proved the theory by taking a small section out of the passing section and all seems okay.

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks.

Mike Parkes

Re: Super 4 insulated rail joiners

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:26 pm

timgray wrote:Evening all.
I am needing to use 2 insulated rail joiners for my super 4 layout, are there any off the shelf ones suitable for this old track.
I bought a set off ebay and they are way too small.
Is there a better DIY option available to me?
I did wonder if there is a way of stopping the flow of voltage across the points fairly easily. These old points seem to this quite regularly when you don't want them to.
The reason i would like to do this a bit complicated in that I have an oval track with a passing section, this will be a station later. Off the passing section are a number of sidings and I cant leave a loco in the passing section and run another round the main track as they will both start to move and if the points are set wrong can end up with 3 or 4 locos moving instead of one.
I proved the theory by taking a small section out of the passing section and all seems okay.

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks.

Just leave the rails slightly apart to width of the plastic upstand of a insulated rail joiner , if everything is pinned / glued down it should not be an issue.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:25 am

I think Super 4 track was Code 140 or similar, try Peco SL-117FB for O gauge track.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 am

Triang produced a R497 SUPER 4 ISOLATING TRACK instead of selling insulating fishplates, this had the benefit of being switchable. There is one on Ebay currently complete with the switch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-HORNBY-R-497-ISOLATING-TRACK-LEVER-SWITCH-IN-V-G-C-AND-WORKING-ORDER/233860743146?hash=item36732fbfea:g:qyAAAOSwIgdgAcyQ

I have seen cheaper ones for sale though.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 am

Cut a strip of plastic packing material about 2mm wide and 1-2cm long, remove one fishplate, smear both sides of the strip with superglue. Hole the strip between the two rail ends and push the tracks sections together. Leave until the glue has set, trim away the excess packaging, particularly on top and down the inside edge. Ensure the track sections are firmly fastened down.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

timgray

Postby timgray » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:33 pm

Thanks for the advice folks will get down to sorting this slight problem out shortly.

Have managed to buy some of those really small springs that fir under the points lever as some of mine are missing.
Looks like a bit of game.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”