Drummond 700 class question

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
muggins

Drummond 700 class question

Postby muggins » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:14 am

I've managed to get myself a very nice secondhand Southern 700, about which all is fine and dandy except for the niggling fall plate. On this one it's angled up at about 15°which looks a bit daft. I've checked carefully and it doesn't need to be like that to clear anything when reversing through the tightest reverse curve and points I have on my railway, so the question is - what's the odds on it snapping off if I try very carefully pressing it down a bit?

Bigmet

Re: Drummond 700 class question

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:33 am

Quite high chance of a 'snap', but unpredictable.

I received my gift of the current Hornby Castle not long after it first came out, all down the pub with the extended family, and my Mother in Law, (daughter of a 3rd generation Swindon based family of 'company servants' to the GWR) immediately objected to the 'ski jump' of the fixed fall plate. She had ridden on them with her Great uncle at the regulator, and they weren't like that. So I bent it down until she approved, and all is still well.

My O1 which only required minimal adjustment broke 'as I looked at it'. All fixed with a couple of dots of cyano, after cleaning up the locations.

(Why won't Hornby copy Bachmann's screw slide secured adjustable loco to tender spacing and excellent hinged fall plate arrangement?)

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:15 pm

Cheers Bigmet. Right then ... fingers crossed and superglue at the ready ...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:33 pm

muggins wrote:fingers crossed and superglue at the ready ...

Remember to keep those items far apart, or a bottle of acetone at the ready. It does work but leaves your skin feeling rough for days.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Bufferstop wrote:
muggins wrote:fingers crossed and superglue at the ready ...

Remember to keep those items far apart...

Alternatively, the accumulating supply of used rubber gloves can be retained in modelling central, it only needs one on the hand likely to fall victim to being bonded. Definitely kept me out of a sticky situation twice in 2020, so there is a tiny upside to Covid...

I am slightly tempted by one of these for my UK 0-6-0 collection, but have no idea if the smokebox can readily be shortened to give a semblance of the original appearance; rather than the grouping period modification which is sadly ungainly, even if it did enable the benefit of superheating.

TomTom

Postby TomTom » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Here is one I did as a CR 812 class, which was very similar to the original loco before superheating.

IMG_1171.JPG

NickHolliday

Postby NickHolliday » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 am

Bigmet wrote:
I am slightly tempted by one of these for my UK 0-6-0 collection, but have no idea if the smokebox can readily be shortened to give a semblance of the original appearance; rather than the grouping period modification which is sadly ungainly, even if it did enable the benefit of superheating.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. Apart from fitting the superheater, unlike the T9's, the boiler was raised 9 inches, the top half of the cab raised to match, and the front frames were extended by 18 inches. Not impossible to make the changes to the body, but I don't know if the mechanism would still fit once the boiler has been lowered. However the first few conversions were effected prior to grouping, albeit with an LSWR design of superheater, which was slightly different from the Southern version.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:01 am

Lovely job, good portrait of a 'maid of all work' in a very realistic condition and setting. (Going to give it a new buffer and smoke box door locking handles for Christmas? )

Given the obstacles Nick outlines, I feel the 'easy way' beckoning, when the Rails/Bachmann CR 812 appears. As elegant a loco as any of the designs from St Rollox, and that sets the bar very high. And almost an economy purchase as it covers two related designs for the price of one...

TomTom

Postby TomTom » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Thanks - I only noticed the missing buffer when I posted the pic.... :oops: It had been running like that for months ....This loco had a wheel for opening the smokebox door - a Caley speciality.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:03 am

You should see how many of the models on my layout, both locos and stock, have bits and pieces missing! I particularly like locos with proper coal spaces, and open wagons: as the dropped off component can conveniently be put there, awaiting an inspection and repair day. This activity comes around about once a year...

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”